Site Sponsor Gav Details v. Dealer Applied Coating CR-V

Gav'sPurpleZ

If you fail to plan, you're planning to fail
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
The latest installment of how to spend a weekend comes in the shape of a CR-V. A young lady at work purchased it new last October. The dealer protection package was agreed on. This covers more than just exterior protection. We had conversations about dealer applied products..... And well, it was time for the real deal. The vehicle showed up and after the initial rinse... Zero beading or sheeting of the water.
So whatever was applied to the paint was long gone.
Process:
Rinse, apply Iron X
Foam with CG Honeydew Snowfoam
Rinse, Foam and wash with CG Clean Slate
Rinse
Clay with Nanoskin glide and Nanoskin handy towel
Rinse and dry
Tires: degreased with Optimum Power Clean
Wheels: P&S Brake Buster with assorted brushes/ mitt
Paint was in good shape, just typical wash marks. Key note, the owner has been washing her SUV with the guidance of me. So there may be a video soon.
I was hoping the newly purchased Sonx perfect finish and a yellow Rupes polishing pad would do the trick. After a couple passes, checked with the light, marks were still present.
Final combo: Buff and Shine 50/50 Uro fiber pad + Menzerna SuperIntensive polish via the Rupes LHR15 Mark II
Smaller sections were done with the PC7424XP + 3" 50/50 urofiber pad and SIP.
There were 2 areas that were treated to Menzerna FG400 + sonax PF
Wheels were treated with McKee's 37 Hydro Blue during the final rinse step. Turtle Wax Seal and Shine was applied the next day.
Tires Dressed with Meguiar's Hyper Dressing 3:1
On to the fun stuff
Panel wipe all surfaces with CarPro Eraser
Bumper, Door trim Coated with CarPro DLUX
Glass was treated with Wolf's Chemicals Nano Glass Sealant
Paint: CarPro CQuartz ( non 3.0 )

Please note in the pictures, CarPro Reload has not been applied. I will apply it this morning to help with water spots... Because it's raining on pick up day :(:mad:

Here is 1 spot on the driver side front bumper:
1703451088637.png

I05ZtM9.jpg

wrVDBQO.jpg

UQQbJ6r.jpg

Passenger Side front door, under the mirror ( Yes the weather stripping was cleaned... Using Megs #39 ):
yIijMkk.jpg

cqDYOlC.jpg

Again, the phone camera was having issues focusing on the light with the metallic in the paint...
hXPdB8G.jpg

7aHIqua.jpg

Gav'sPurpleZ

TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
Looks great, you do amazing work!! Love the detailed write ups for sure.

Thank you for the kind words. The write ups go way back to the original Autopia . org website.
It was because of a detailed write up that I made the decision on what to buy many years ago.
Instead of every asking what did you use for this, or what kind of pad for that. It's all laid out.
On my end, it kind of helps the process of actually detailing a vehicle complete.
I enjoy breaking it down for the TCG peeps :cool:

MrMezger996

Formerly CobraSki
TCG Premium
Jun 12, 2015
Hoffman Estates
Thank you for the kind words. The write ups go way back to the original Autopia . org website.
It was because of a detailed write up that I made the decision on what to buy many years ago.
Instead of every asking what did you use for this, or what kind of pad for that. It's all laid out.
On my end, it kind of helps the process of actually detailing a vehicle complete.
I will say the biggest trouble I have is to decide what type of pad to use with current paint condition. Microfiber, whool, foam
1600620833722.png

Gav'sPurpleZ

TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
There will always be a couple "test" sections. It's difficult to limit the pads/ products with how many choices are out there.
Once you find a compound, MED polish and finishing polish you enjoy working with and provide the results stick with them.
I've narrowed it down to Lake Country MF cutting pads, Rupes Medium cut wool pads, Rupes yellow polishing pads and Lake country orange polishing pads.

I have other pads but the 4 listed above are the go to for most jobs.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
And you can be damn sure I appreciate it!

:bowdown:

Reactions: Gav'sPurpleZ

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
There will always be a couple "test" sections. It's difficult to limit the pads/ products with how many choices are out there.
Once you find a compound, MED polish and finishing polish you enjoy working with and provide the results stick with them.
I've narrowed it down to Lake Country MF cutting pads, Rupes Medium cut wool pads, Rupes yellow polishing pads and Lake country orange polishing pads.

I have other pads but the 4 listed above are the go to for most jobs.
I’ve been using all Lake Country CCS pads and have been happy with them. For the novice/amateur it’s hard to push them too far. It’s like having a safety net even when using compound.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info