Site Sponsor Gav Details V. Big....Black...Truck

Gav'sPurpleZ

If you fail to plan, you're planning to fail
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
Yo dudes,

So as mentioned in the other thread, Dan is taking his truck to the world of wheels again. He did some interior work and will have the doors open this year. The interior work is going to come down to the 11th hour but I will post a couple pictures. He had the seats recovered in black leather and chose baseball style stitching for the diamond inserts. He built a front to back center console that will house a 10" tablet and ran fiber optic LEDs for the headliner. He installed each of about 600 lights 1 by 1.
Anyways, this year he opted to remove the door moldings. He has wanted to do this but a friend at a body shop warned him of the paint being darker than the rest of the door since the truck is an 08, has 200k miles and was a DD for years. A couple of them were loose ( 3m tape failed ) and to be honest, they do not polish very well. They are a rubber like material that are painted.
I will list the process but you guys have seen the truck before, so I did not go crazy taking pictures. He worked ( mind you I'm the dispatcher at work and totally could have not offered him the work so that I could detail at normal hours but I dont operate that way) and had to drop something at the upholstery guys house so I did not arrive until 420ish.
I was packed up just before midnight and was home by 1215 or so.

He did not drive the truck much last year but the truck is black and I'm sure being on well water it's a major PITA to wash uber careful and not end up with water spots and just needing to constantly wipe the truck down. So there were some swirls but nothing terrible. I was hoping that the blackfire One step was going to work to correct the defects + leave behind a polymer sealant.

Molding removal process:
Hair dryer to heat up the adhesive tape, fishing line to cut through the tape. 3M wax wheel via cordless drill to remove the leftover tape / residue. Goo Gone to remove any stubborn adhesive residue.
There were some areas that did not come off, so I used a MF cutting pad and a heavier amount of Griot's Garage Fast Correcting Cream to "mow" down the "goo."

Here is what the driver door looks like. You can see the chair in the reflection is within the "box" that the molding outline shows.
rdMMVZj.jpg

Here is after Griot's FCC and a Lake country MF cutting pad and Menzerna 3500 with a yellow Rupes polishing pad:
wEdALvs.jpg

There are some deeper scratches that would require some wetsanding but Dan was happy with the way this turned out.

Here is the passenger rear door before:
OD8qQLK.jpg

And after compound and finish polishing:
9MFx3T6.jpg

I'm going a bit out of sequence here but oh well. Here is the process for the balance of the detail:

Waterless wash using CarPro ECH2O via iK Multisprayer 1.5 and Rag Company Minx Royale towels. The truck was covered in dust and I guess saw dust from the wood working done for the console.
The truck was not contaminated, so no claying of any kind was necessary.
I wiped each panel down with CarPro Eraser prior to "polishing"
After some test spots, The Blackfire One Step was the way to go ( to save time and sanity ). I did check the driver side with a coating thickness gauge and all but the rear doors had plenty of paint/clear
but there's no reason to compound or aggressively polish if its not necessary.
Machines: Rupes LHR 15 Mark II and a PC 7424XP for the door frame areas and mirrors.
5.5" Lake Country Orange polishing pad on the Rupes and a 3.5" white "heavy" polishing pad for the PC.

This is what I was working with:
qZg1NTk.jpg

And after:
iLoT9gV.jpg

Here are some random afters:
1LnfvX2.jpg

Dan chose to face the other way to switch up this angle picture:
2d7XK55.jpg

And this picture of the hood was using night sight via a Pixel 3:
6LUz171.jpg

And here are some pictures of the interior upgrades:
Seats:
HwwDapg.jpg

Headliner:
bRK0m7Y.jpg

gjK8QRN.jpg

nHK0y6l.jpg

He has his work cut out for him... Has to clean the door jambs, and weatherstripping.... finish the trim pieces and new carpet install + clean the suspension and polish the wheels.
Truck is scheduled to be staged on Thursday @ the venue.

Thanks for looking:
giphy.gif

Gav'sPurpleZ

TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
As always A++ work Gav. Who did his seats, they look good. I did my 06 Charger seats in that same pattern. My interior guy tried talking me in to doing the headliner like that. Told him FUCK NO, lol

Dan runs the cruise nights for 3 locations, all Rookies. The newest one in Carol Stream ( Lake and Gary ), there is a guy who visits the show who does upholstery work on the side.
The seats, misc trim pieces and the initial leather wrap on the center console looked really good. I may ask for this guys number next winter because the driver seat in my car now has the dreaded bolster tear. ?

Thanks for the kind words everyone. It's always nice to hear :fy:

Reactions: Shawn1112

Gav'sPurpleZ

TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info