Site Sponsor Gav details v. 750iL

Gav'sPurpleZ

If you fail to plan, you're planning to fail
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
After my truck detail thread, Mark ( bimmer4life blueoval4life ) contacted me about the BMW. A couple short weeks later, he dropped the car off.
I will be making some observations through out the post, so if you actually read through it... you will see some thoughts from yours truly.

I will let Mark touch on the car but it is a 2000 BMW 750iL with 29k original miles. V12 :oops:

Similar to Andy's Caprice, there are some deeper swirls/scratches that were not removed with a MF cutting pad and compound.
1st observation is, it may be time for a rotary. I'm not sure if it's necessary for the types of vehicles I see but I will keep my options open.

Process:
Rinse, Apply Iron X
Foam with Griot's Garage Foaming surface wash
Rinse
Wash with Chemical Guys Clean Slate,
Rinse
Clay using Nanoskim glide and a Nanoskin clay sponge.
( 2nd observation, I dont think the paint on this car is soft but the mild clay sponge marred the shit out of the paint, I will only use the sponge on glass )
Rinse and Dry. Used the sidekick blaster to remove water from the typical areas
I tested a few products and pads etc, Final combo:
Cut with Griot's Fast Correcting Cream + Lake Country MF cutting pad via Rupes LHR15 Mark II ( speed 3.5 )
I did not notice much haze from the cutting step but I opted for Blackfire One Step + Orange Lake Country HDO polishing pad via same machine ( speed 3 )
Panel wipe with CarPro Eraser
LSP: Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant via PC7424XP and a black LC finishing pad

The PC was used with a urofiber 50/50 pad and Super Intensive polish on the smaller areas of the front and rear bumper, the cowl section of the hood, mirrors etc
3rd observation, the smaller section would have benefited from a Rupes iBrid nano. I've wanted one for years and am closer to parting with $600 for the kit :noes:

Wheels were cleaned with P&S brake buster + misc brushes
Tires were dressed with Meg's HYper dressing 3:1
Weatherstripping and plastic trim cleaned with Meg's # 39 and wiped with 303 Aerospace protectant

As it arrived:

1703451209182.png

irsuEin.jpg

6wO53qy.jpg

rQ07CS9.jpg

Here you can see some of the deeper scracthes and some haze from a previous detail

1lWIhNP.jpg

Mark worked a small section in the middle of the truck, you can see the haze was corrected ( look to the left and right of the light )

CcjMV2M.jpg

zuWqaIi.jpg

Here you can see some of the marring the clay sponge left behind :angrys00ls:

id3Q4Ac.jpg

ZYDDuOe.jpg

After compound only:
IrTIUkB.jpg

Hood:
zOYU2SR.jpg

PczLzdc.jpg

More defects on the passenger side:
OUcjKTb.jpg

vwQTTMf.jpg

IugfSbR.jpg

The phone camera was having a spaz attack trying to focus. It wanted to focus on the bulb itself but the paint was blurry then it would focus on the paint but immediately go back to trying to focus on the bulb:

rf8Sv26.jpg

cukvo0f.jpg

9P61Hda.jpg

Gav'sPurpleZ

TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
saved 2

4th observation, I need to start taking pictures with the panasonic and actually learn WTF I am doing. The blue on this car was fantastic and the pictures make it look black :confused:

In all of it's glory:

kNg8wZ5.jpg

y1tCJK6.jpg

wLuSnjn.jpg

hbZjLA1.jpg

AAejubW.jpg

pGcA0zh.jpg

YpRsFBp.jpg

NcomrcI.jpg

MDK9ooV.jpg

OPjVAck.jpg

Last observation, I've met some pretty cool dudes on this forum and Mark is definitely one of them. Thank you for reaching out and trusting me with the new addition.
:fy:

Gav'sPurpleZ

TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL

Gav'sPurpleZ

TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
Reactions: greasy
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info