Site Sponsor Gav Details v. 1993 Lexus SC400 Turbo powered LS

Gav'sPurpleZ

If you fail to plan, you're planning to fail
TCG Premium
TCG Sponsor
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
While @ RAM AUTO working on Andy's Caprice, Rodger asked me to take a look at the Lexus. I performed a test spot on the hood and sent him a picture. And, the rest is history.

Wash: P&S Absolute Rinseless wash
Clay: Nano skin glide + The Rag Company Ultra Clay towel. I did use a clay bar on the passenger window, there was some stubborn contamination.
Wheels and tires: Gtechniq W5 Citrus all Purpose cleaner diluted 17:1 in an iK foam 1.5 and the leftover rinseless wash. No tire dressing because racecar things.
Polish: The last cut compound + Buff n Shine Urofiber 50/50 pad. I used a Lake Country MF Cutting pad on the rear section of the roof.
Refine and Protect: Rupes Uno Advanced + Rupes yellow foam. This is an all in one product that provides some 'correction' and leaves behind an Si02 based layer of protection.
Glass: Windshield was polished with the last cut and a urofiber pad ( this is more for deep cleaning than 'correcting' ). All glass was treated with Diamond Protech's Diamond Glass (nano diamond coating ). Windshield was given a second application to ensure coverage and longevity.

Machines: Milwaukee 15mm Dual Action polisher for the 'cutting' step, Rupes HLR15 for the finishing step, Mirka AROP312-B 3" polisher.
All battery operated machines, it's nice not to worry about a cord.
I measured the paint, most panels were 10+ mils which means there was plenty of material for a 'cutting' step. TLC is a pad dependent product so it is more mild than a dedicated compound.
The driver 1/4 panel and the roof were lower at around 4-6 mils. For reference, this is all 3 layers: primer, color/base and clear. New vehicles start out with around 4-5 mils of paint and once you have readings lower than 3.5, you want to be very careful as the paint is thin. #1 objective is to save as much clear coat as possible.

Before pictures are after the wash and clay steps:

cXzXa8u.jpg

0cway71.jpg

LZ30j6n.jpg

YIlphZo.jpg

This is the passenger side of the hood, if you look at the lower left light reflection, doesn't look to bad, right ? That was the test spot:
xVwH1dc.jpg

Here is the middle of the hood:
O76Repd.jpg

yNa5K2M.jpg

y4BC4MU.jpg

DuPPP5I.jpg

oYuI8w1.jpg

PjndAhO.jpg

yLObU29.jpg

JUO1nji.jpg

Gav'sPurpleZ

TCG Premium
TCG Sponsor
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
saved

On to the after shots:

YiXmybu.jpg

dvgnKhC.jpg

dAntqoN.jpg

z6pDqcJ.jpg

AlVrOjh.jpg

x3zCCUu.jpg

PdxYDKg.jpg

UZkD7mr.jpg

ej7H9hX.jpg

aGSkt90.jpg

EPMkRY8.jpg

Yes, the lower section was taped off to leave the rubber. Sentimental value + I did not want Rodger to feel bad about adding rubber back to the area.
P45pCGK.jpg

JXwzXOY.jpg

zDXnfZb.jpg

8I7QWfW.jpg

PcJLL8G.jpg

xylSdPM.jpg

dUXCRBL.jpg

njehNAR.jpg

VVyMOos.jpg

Thank you to SRT41320 SRT41320 for trusting me with another vehicle. Tagging Broke EF Broke EF so that he can see his creation in all it's glory.

End Scene
High Five Tom Cruise GIF by Hollywood Suite

Gav'sPurpleZ

TCG Premium
TCG Sponsor
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
Holy shit, that car actually cleans up good. Great job man!

Thank you. The paint quality is actually pretty good. Some areas have a little texture, that shows it's not OEM paint, but the body shop(s) did not skimp on material.
I was pretty pleased with the results.

Nice work broski

Thanks Shawn !
Great work, the car really cleaned up.
Thank you
Nice work Gav, as always dude 😎
Thank you
Pics do not do this work justice! It came out amazing! Thanks again Gav!
Thank you, Thank you. The color should really pop in the sun. I will leave the glamour shots to Mook Mook and his fancy phone.
God damn, such an improvement. Fantastic work as always!
Thank you !

Thread Info