Site Sponsor Gav Details meets Godzilla

Gav'sPurpleZ

If you fail to plan, you're planning to fail
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
Yo dudes,

I was commissioned to provide some TLC to IceCreamAssassin IceCreamAssassin 's Japanese Prince.

Friday evening drop off, Wash and Decon performed
Rinse
Apply Iron X
Foam multiple times with Griot's Garage Foaming surface Wash
Rinse
Wash with Chemical Guys Clean Slate
Tail pipe cleaned with P21S Polishing Soap
While the Iron X was dwelling + multiple foams the wheels and tires were cleaned.
Optimum Power clean on the tires, wiped with disposable shop towels to remove tire dressing.
Wheels foamed with Auto Fanatic Wheel cleaner 8:1 cleaned with an array of brushes ( Tuf Shine brush for tires, EX Detail brush for barrels, Detail Factory synthetic brush for lug pockets )
Once washed, clay using Nanoskin handy towel and Nanoskin glide
Thoroughly rinse and dry. Park in the garage over night.

Before:

1703451403563.png

abqIJeV.jpg

1s8XeEZ.jpg

F4LSjlz.jpg

w5Uf5DO.jpg

TLJOgfz.jpg

0MjVCDE.jpg

MdVwYFJ.jpg

mlK1Ypp.jpg

B0SuVGp.jpg

8kriSQm.jpg

9D9DvQt.jpg

ZeCAhzk.jpg

xDBsSvi.jpg

Z5Bxme2.jpg

v9msjOr.jpg

dOfl860.jpg

jRQbI0R.jpg

iICjb96.jpg

HBdv2D5.jpg

Barney meets Godzilla:
bA1a25N.jpg

Gav'sPurpleZ

TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
saved 1:

Saturday morning, the delicate restoration project begins. When Andy dropped off the car he mentioned he felt the paint was thin. Using my "coating" thickness gauge I checked some panels before he left. Some were as low as 3.3 mils which is super low, others ranged from 4.0-6.2 mils
With that being said, Here is the process for "paint enhancement."

The hood was noticeably stained... or something of the like. It was dirty and dull looking compared to the fenders. Knowing the hood numbers ranged 3.3-4.2 I did some test spots by hand. Thankfully the grunge was removed, so I decided on the following for the hood:

"mow down" technique which helps remove the top layer of dead paint to help reveal the real condition of the paint.
Rupes LHR15 Mark 2, 5.5" Buff n shine Uro fiber 50/50 pad and Griot's garage fast correcting cream. Speed 3 with moderate to fast arm speed. Again, this is not a "correcting" step but rather a cleaning step.
You can see here:

WvFQhyu.jpg

Front half of hood "cleaned"
Cf3tKH9.jpg

In order to clean up a bit of haze in the hood, I used a 5.5" Orange LC polishing pad and Menzerna 3500

As for the balance of the vehicle:
Menzerna Super Intensive Polish ( I believe it's called 2400 now ) on 5.5" Rupes yellow polishing pads
PC 7424XP and 3" Rupes polishing pads for smaller areas

Hard to see but look just in front of the door handle, the front half of the door is polished, the handle area is not:
vQiJYaQ.jpg

Just above the bumper inlet trim and under the headlight is NOT polished yet. You can see on the grill slats, the death film as I started to call it:
dSgGV9n.jpg

Some areas were polished by hand using a 3" MF pad block

The wheel spokes and pockets received Wheel Wax and the Tires were dressed with Meguiar's Hyper Dressing 3:1
4qZmbGi.jpg

ZE1Gyhe.jpg

The exhaust tip wash hand polished with a foam applicator pad and Flitz metal polish
9IPeo1M.jpg

Once the polishing step was complete, The vehicle was wiped down with CarPro Eraser
The PC was used with a 3" Lake County Finishing pad to apply Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0
The exterior windows were touched up with Bead Maker
The interior was vacuumed, dash, door panels and trim cleaned with Woolite. Same areas dressed with Adam's Interior Detailer

Garage shots:
vwon1on.jpg

JCSaLxL.jpg

SYxPQbf.jpg

z0dPH25.jpg

UIlHl79.jpg

nU3T25U.jpg

WBRbSnx.jpg

5GriTXe.jpg

6ZN0lv6.jpg

gRfE8j4.jpg

6MjO2kG.jpg

rfeANbw.jpg

cmrW9Hk.jpg

efuDVDG.jpg

Bfm1qJx.jpg

Gav'sPurpleZ

TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL

Gav'sPurpleZ

TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
Awesome work Gav, that came out really good. How long did it take you, not including all the prep outside of the garage.

Thanks Shawn.
I would say 5.5-6 hours. By the time I played musical cars and jockey'd everything around, I probably started around 845 or so.
I had some time filming and figuring out what products to use. Bathroom and snack breaks etc.

I've learned that making 4-6 section passes when polishing isn't always necessary. I start with 3 depending on product/pad combo and what type of defects I'm going after.

Reactions: Shawn1112

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Thanks Shawn.
I would say 5.5-6 hours. By the time I played musical cars and jockey'd everything around, I probably started around 845 or so.
I had some time filming and figuring out what products to use. Bathroom and snack breaks etc.

I've learned that making 4-6 section passes when polishing isn't always necessary. I start with 3 depending on product/pad combo and what type of defects I'm going after.
I clearly spend too much time on cars. I gotta figure out how to cut my time down with the same results. I guarantee you I would have been on that car for at least 8 hours.

Gav'sPurpleZ

TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
I will start by saying I thought my "after" walk around footage was a bit more plentiful.
Also, I ordered a tripod that allows for panning because the lack of stability when filming bothers me when I'm editing videos.
Lastly, a steamer is in my future because certain areas on this car would have benefited from it.
I have a detailing tool wishlist with some high dollar items on it but.....soon...

Anyways, here is a short hodge podge video with dem EDMs

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info