• Hi Guest, welcome to TCG 2.0. Please refer to the FAQ in User Support before you do anything else. It will make the transition MUCH easier.

IF YOU ARE SEEING AN "OOPS" ERROR PAGE, IT IS LIKELY BECAUSE YOUR BROWSER HAS NOT UPDATED YOUR CACHE. YOU CAN EITHER CLICK FORUMS AT THE TOP LEFT OR VISIT THECHICAGOGARAGE.COM AND BOOKMARK THAT. - Love, Mook

Gas Issue

Xtant12

Reaction score
Hey guys, I noticed when I was driving the GTP yesterday to put gas in it that the gauge jumps around for some reason. I was stopped at a light on flat ground and it went to full, then slowly came down to half. It does not move constantly but you know its not right. Anyone have any ideas on what this could be???

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
Donating Member
Reaction score
You need a new sender :dunno:

Xtant12

Reaction score
A sender huh, is that hard to put in. Do you have to drop the gas tank? Is there one I should get or will any do??

framos242

Drink the shot, pussy....
Reaction score
Not hard to put on. You don't drop the fuel tank. You can get to the fuel pump via the trunk access panel in the rear seat. Left up the carpet and you'll see the compartment door. I advise you to clean thoroughly the area from dirt. You don't want any gunk to get into your tank. Unhook the fuel pump, be cautious of any excess gas so bring a small tub to put it in, take out the sender. Insert the new sender and re-install.

What mileage do you have? If it's high, have you considered installing a new fuel pump w/ sending unit?

Mike K

Forum Sponsor
TCG Sponsor
Reaction score
It's an easy job. If it's a high mileage car you might just consider swapping the entire fuel canister. It's easier and might be cheaper, depending on what senders cost. We have the whole canister, brand new for pretty cheap. It's probably our most popular item now that these cars are all old and stuff. :)

Xtant12

Reaction score
Not hard to put on. You don't drop the fuel tank. You can get to the fuel pump via the trunk access panel in the rear seat. Left up the carpet and you'll see the compartment door. I advise you to clean thoroughly the area from dirt. You don't want any gunk to get into your tank. Unhook the fuel pump, be cautious of any excess gas so bring a small tub to put it in, take out the sender. Insert the new sender and re-install.

What mileage do you have? If it's high, have you considered installing a new fuel pump w/ sending unit?
The car has about 136k on it, the motor has about 40k. I will look into just holding off a little bit and changing out the pump then. Do you guys thing I would need one of those race fuel pumps

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
Donating Member
Reaction score
Going out on a limb here... i think that was sarcastic... :hsugh:

syP

Not Banned
Reaction score
Junkyard is your friend..

i saw a TON of 98+ wbodys there.. which have the 40-240 ohm resistance sender... (i was searching for the 0-90 ohm for my 97 GTP)

Get one and ill throw it in for you on the cheap

(just take out the canister, and cut the two purple wires... detach from the canister, and purchase.)

Handsome Jesus

A V6? What a ripoff...
Reaction score
you can also disassemble the connector at the top relatively easily and not have to cut the purple wires.

no soldering or anything.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom