3800 Gaming Computer Processor?

horist

Geek
Nov 10, 2008
Lake Zurich
cool thanks again guys :)

Looks like my buildup will probably be a XP 3000+ (unless the 3200+ is really worth another ~200 bux???)

Radeon 9600XT (the 9800 seems too pricey... ~200 bux more between 9600 and 9800 both w/128 DDR RAM)

Abit Mobo

1GB PC3200 RAM

Rest of the stuff I'll reuse from parts I have laying around...

syP

Not Banned
May 24, 2007
Downers Grove, Illinois
well what i am doing, (going with ThaL), is the xp 2500+ and overclocking it to 2.2 ghz and the FSB to 400mhz. which is the same as the barton 3200+. Since im geting a case with 7 fans, and a cold a$$ basement it will be all good. Then you should get the 9800pro. Believe me you wont regret it. Once hl2 and doom3 comes out, you would wish you had the 9800 and not the 9600 :)

horist

Geek
Nov 10, 2008
Lake Zurich
ok sweet....

here's my list of goodies then:

1. XP 3000+ AMD Processor
2. 1.5GB PC3200 Memory
3. 200GB Maxtor SATA drive (may as well)
4. Gigabyte GA-7NNXP Mobo (supports SATA, 2 built in NICs, lots of cool $hit)
5. Radeon 9800 XT w/256MB DDR RAM

Now... where to buy? :) This place zipzoomfly.com had pretty decent prices and free shipping on everything (except cases... ), plus no tax ...

Anywhere else I should look?

Also has the standards for ATX changed at all in say the past 4 years?

I have an old ATX case (no p/s, but I can buy that seperate), i believe it's ATX 2.0 compliant... will that work w/modern mobos? or have they revised it some?

I

imported_admin

a machine like that? for websurfing....
overkill would be an understatement.....

a machine for web-surfing.. would prolly cost about 500 bux for a decent machine... if you are looking for a full system... look to spend about 800 for the monitor and stuff... for something good.. I am not talking crap...

horist

Geek
Nov 10, 2008
Lake Zurich
like Thalord said... a machine like I'm talking about would be way overkill just for web surfing...

Right now the stuff above is
~500 for video
~240 for memory
~200 for processor
~175 for mobo
~185 for hard drive
~100 for extra stuff (SATA adapters, CPU fan, Case Fan)

Plus if you don't have a case
~60 for a mid tower w/420 watt p/s

Though I haven't started the shopping process yet, so the prices above are most likely a little high

I'll be putting my external USB 2.0 48x CD-RW and 4x DVD+/- RW drive on it, and putting a spare CD-ROM in for gaming

Aircal

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Nov 10, 2008
Countryside
Real Name
Tom callahan
Web surfing and gaming. Also burning movies to dvd. I have the montior( 20") Scanners,printers, surround sound, cable modem. Just that I'm still on a petium 2 thats getting old and slow.

ps: lord you where supposed to throw my some suggestions on units to buy.

horist

Geek
Nov 10, 2008
Lake Zurich
i think internal units are down to 200 or so maybe even lower?

I got mine for 400 in may.... external USB 2.0... internal unit was about 100 cheaper at that time...

Right now I'm running my DVD Burner off a 500mhz celeron w/192MB PC 100 memory....

same box is my web server, SQL Server, mail server, etc... (it's pretty heavily utilized) and has never caused me to have a failed burn...

I

imported_admin

dvd burners range... get a dvd-R not the plus.. or a multi-format.. I would stick with a pioneer or sony... you can get one for under $200.00, media is a little pricey.. but I order in bulk.. and can get them pretty cheap.. for some high quality discs...

to run them? what do you mean? CPU? you have plenty I am sure... but in case.. I would say something like 500Mhz.. and 128mb ram... and of course.. the disk space available to burn what you want to...

dole21

TCG Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
South Carolina
Originally posted by horist@Nov 16 2003, 11:21 PM

Right now I'm running my DVD Burner off a 500mhz celeron w/192MB PC 100 memory....

cool....I got a little more than that now.

do they make different speeds? like cd burners? 4X, 8X, etc.? my cd-burner is a 2X right now...LOL...

also will a dvd burner still burn cd's? or will I keep both of em?

dole21

TCG Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
South Carolina
Originally posted by Admin@Nov 16 2003, 11:26 PM
dvd burners range... get a dvd-R not the plus.. or a multi-format.. I would stick with a pioneer or sony... you can get one for under $200.00, media is a little pricey.. but I order in bulk.. and can get them pretty cheap.. for some high quality discs...

ok...cool...someone else told me not to get the plus. I'll remember that.

I

imported_admin

the fastest DVD burner is currently 4X and it burns CD's at about 16-24x... media also matters with DVD's.. where cd's you can get any media, and it will burn at the fastest... DVD's have speed rated media... 1x media, you can only burn at 1x.. and 4x you can burn at any speed up to 4x...

I always get the 4x media.. but it is the most expensive...

John

I

imported_GraFFix

If anyone is looking for computer items..Im going to the computer show at the College of Dupage this sunday.

theirs lots of stuff there for sale and alot of good deals. I put my parents computer together from this place for under 250 bucks (case, CPU, mobo, CDROM, RAM) its only a 1.5 gig with 256mb of ram, onboard sound, video, 56k, nic..great for a basic web brousing system but i bought this last year.

Anyways, if anyone is interested in meeting there get ahold of me because i am going for sure.

more info here.. http://www.greatmidwestcomputershow.com/schedule/2003.htm

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info