G8 GT

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
dont worry about the trans.. the 6L80e, although sloppy, is a very stout transmission.

You really only need to worry about it at much higher horsepower... 5-600whp+

With a proper tune the 6L80E's will last up to just past 600rwhp. The catch here is that not allot of people know how to tune the 6L's worth a shit. On my previous combo a few years back my 6L was holding 500rwhp/570rwtq with zero slippage or other issue. The tune is EVERYTHING with these transmissions, whether in stock or built form. No worries whatsoever with boltons.

I'm not arguing personal preference. If you want to tell me that a catback exhaust is a good performance per dollar investment for these cars then you, sir, have another thing coming.

OP, as Syp said, the stock 6l80 trans is plenty strong enough to hold any mild to moderate hp increase you're looking to make; and most of the slopiness he spoke of can be fixed just through tuning.

You apparently did miss my point. I never mentioned the hp/dollar can of worms because it will continue on forever. A Maggie blower is one heck of allot better from a hp/dollar aspect than LT's but not everyone wants that power or wants to pay for it. Let's get off of the hp/dollar conundrum because that only makes people chase their tails.

Saying that a catback exhaust is worthless only points out further how you are only looking to inject your own personal preference into the conversation rather than trying to better understand what the OP wants. Perhaps he only wants about 10rwhp more while adding some sound and perhaps he wants more? I got the impression it was the former versus the latter. But saying that it is stupid is asinine. LT's are great if you want to invest an additional grand into your car, but that isn't in the budget for everyone. Look man I am running a combo that some would consider fairly wild in my G8 but that doesn't mean that I should assume that everyone wants to do the same. Just like turbos aren't in certain peoples budgets, LT's may not be within others reach or desire.

I know you used to own a G8 and I meant no hostility or disrespect of any of your knowledge that applies here. I am not saying that what you are stating isn't true. Yes there will be minimal power gain when going with a catback exhaust on a G8. Yes LT's gain more hp per dollar spent when compared to catbacks. Yes, if I were N/A I would have went with LT's because they make more power. But not everyone has the money or desire to travel the same path. That is what my point is. A catback may not be worth it to you but to others it may fit their preference exactly. Just consider taking that into account the next time you ponder saying that a mod is worthless is all I am suggesting.

Chrisco

is a work in progress
Jan 26, 2008
Downers Grove, IL.
With a proper tune the 6L80E's will last up to just past 600rwhp. The catch here is that not allot of people know how to tune the 6L's worth a shit. On my previous combo a few years back my 6L was holding 500rwhp/570rwtq with zero slippage or other issue. The tune is EVERYTHING with these transmissions, whether in stock or built form. No worries whatsoever with boltons.

You apparently did miss my point. I never mentioned the hp/dollar can of worms because it will continue on forever. A Maggie blower is one heck of allot better from a hp/dollar aspect than LT's but not everyone wants that power or wants to pay for it. Let's get off of the hp/dollar conundrum because that only makes people chase their tails.

Saying that a catback exhaust is worthless only points out further how you are only looking to inject your own personal preference into the conversation rather than trying to better understand what the OP wants. Perhaps he only wants about 10rwhp more while adding some sound and perhaps he wants more? I got the impression it was the former versus the latter. But saying that it is stupid is asinine. LT's are great if you want to invest an additional grand into your car, but that isn't in the budget for everyone. Look man I am running a combo that some would consider fairly wild in my G8 but that doesn't mean that I should assume that everyone wants to do the same. Just like turbos aren't in certain peoples budgets, LT's may not be within others reach or desire.

Just out of curiosity, where did you gather that I said he had to take any one path of modifying his car? That catbacks are worthless? Everything I said, starting from my first post in this thread, was based on how he could attain the most power per dollar while spending the least amount of money and with relative ease.

chrisco said:
IMO skip getting a catback exhaust and just do what blackbeard did and go with an OTR intake and have the car tuned. The intake he has came off my old G8, and so I can vouch for the consistency of excellent gains by installing one; and with a tune.

All a catback will give you is exhaust drone and maybe 5-10 whp, while robbing your wallet for $500-$1000. Bang for the buck isnt worth it. If you wang more power and sound, spend that money on good long tube headers and an offroad X/H pipe that will bolt to the factory catback. Huge power gains and only loud when you put the hammer down.

chrisco said:
Of course not everyone wants the same thing, but if someone is looking for performance per/dollar, a catback is stupid on those cars as the factory one flows fairly well.

chrisco said:
I'm not arguing personal preference. If you want to tell me that a catback exhaust is a good performance per dollar investment for these cars then you, sir, have another thing coming.

chrisco said:
No idea, nor any hostility from me. Just correcting any misinformation so the OP doesn't needlessly spend money on a catback with the assumption that it'll give him a significant increase in power.

Why did I decide to say all of this? Because that's what the OP asked for...

hello tcg! i just recently bought a 2009 G8 GT Auto
was just wondering what the best route would be to take to upgrade..not looking for insane power just some more sound and a little bit more power!
and what the best site is to get parts for this car!

Putting on a cat-back exhaust as an initial mod is not the best route to take to upgrade if power is a greater concern than sound. If sound is of greater concern than power, then sure throw a cat back on. OP asked for opinions. I gave him mine. Now, what was it you were bitching about again? :gives:

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
Just out of curiosity, where did you gather that I said he had to take any one path of modifying his car? That catbacks are worthless? Everything I said, starting from my first post in this thread, was based on how he could attain the most power per dollar while spending the least amount of money and with relative ease.

Why did I decide to say all of this? Because that's what the OP asked for...

Putting on a cat-back exhaust as an initial mod is not the best route to take to upgrade if power is a greater concern than sound. If sound is of greater concern than power, then sure throw a cat back on. OP asked for opinions. I gave him mine. Now, what was it you were bitching about again? :gives:

Enough has already been posted on this and I am not going to let you turn this into some sort of childish back and forth argument. I have said my piece and backed it with solid logic. The OP can choose what to do with it from there. Good day.

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
Where is FMS located? And should I get a tune last after all the bolt ons?

Yes, tune last. But you might want to not beat on the car too much after you install bolt-ons and before the tune. My car started to lean out with just the intake. My CEL came on and the code was due to the AFR being to high. The intake added that much power that the stock tune couldn't handle it.

Marylandspeed has the best deals when it comes to power adders for these cars. Talk to Brandon at Fast as previously mentioned but intake, headers, and an exhaust of your choosing. The cats on these cars really quiet down the exhaust and the GT mufflers eliminate the rest of the V8 rumble. Oh, get the DOD delete for your car, these lifters SUCK and may fail on you at some point. Granted, they are under the powertrain warranty but why have your car go down when you can swap them out yourself and it is worthwhile insurance.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info