Fuel System - Send it or enlarge it?

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
My fuel system in my '02 Camaro is adequate as of right now, but I'm about to the point where I can justify more power. I started buying cam swap parts a long time ago, but it didn't dawn on me until recently that I disregarded the fuel system. I have 80# injectors, so I think those will be fine. I also have an AEM 340 with a home made hot wire. That's it. The fuel sender bucket, lines, rail, and regulator are all stock.

I know nothing about BSFC. In fact, I had to google it, but this chart does seem to hint that my goal of 600hp is very possible with my pump. Then again these would have to be crank numbers. Does anybody know if there are restrictions or shortcomings in any of my fuel system parts once I start making over 500 hp?
1645463596124.png

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
80's are pretty tapped out at 500whp (if that) on e85. I would go bigger if you can. A walbro 450 will outflow the stock regulator sometimes, so keep that in mind. Some people are able to use the stock regulator though. People have made like 700 hp on stock lines, so I don't think it's really worth it to upgrade those unless you want to keep everything consistent with AN fittings from upgraded rails and fuel tank.

Reactions: v6buicks

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
80's are pretty tapped out at 500whp (if that) on e85. I would go bigger if you can. A walbro 450 will outflow the stock regulator sometimes, so keep that in mind. Some people are able to use the stock regulator though. People have made like 700 hp on stock lines, so I don't think it's really worth it to upgrade those unless you want to keep everything consistent with AN fittings from upgraded rails and fuel tank.
If I did a pump I'm probably doing lines. Mine are kinda rusty. Shocker. Lol. I'd also prefer to get something from racetronix so that it's drop in and I'm not always wondering if I did it right. At that point, I feel like a regulator is a good thing, but I've never adjusted one before.

Reactions: GTPpower

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
Yeah, I would probably do lines in your situation as well. How much power do you think you want?
Long answer:
I don't really care. I really want to stuff this ST5 cam in with head studs and 150# springs. From there it will be what it is, but if there are some easy things I can change before the dyno to get the most of it, that would be great to know ahead of time. What I do know for sure is that I won't be happy with anything that starts with a 4.

Short answer:
I want 600. Lol

• Haha
Reactions: GTPpower

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
ripoff of a old school 6765...26-27psi on a st5 should crest 600 no problem
Damn that's a lot of boost. I look forward to that. haha At the same time, I'm not opposed to opening things up a bit if I find a good deal on used ported or aluminum heads. I'm not opposed to doing my own gasket matching, but forget porting heads on my own.

Too bad about the 80s. I thought those would be my injectors for the long haul, but I keep forgetting how much more E85 needs to flow. Are 160s good enough?

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
Wow... big sad. Apparently Racetronix discontinued their drop-in pump/sender assemblies. That sucks.

There are other options though. I just don't like the lack of venturi and or the prices.

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
And yet.... I'm still leaning toward Racetronix. It looks like a dual pump is my only option for this much power on E, and the drop-in stuff is not truly drop-in or at all cheap. I know that Racetronix stuff is quality with awesome instructions, so I'll probably just stick with what I know.

Sort of a side note, but on topic. I was about to ask for opinions on line size, and then it hit me. I bought Dan Josts GN swap stuff. I bet that his custom fuel rails would look killer and fit fine on my Camaro intake. In that case, I'd have -6 AN supply and return bungs already there. Best of all, I already paid for it.

Edit:
Okay, new favorite.
Why would they ask which regulator I'm using as a drop-down option though? I might have to ask them. Either way, this would make me feel better than any DIY solution I come up with. Racetronix seems pretty adamant that their kit is not for the average installer, and I can't find any tutorials online. This cam swap rabbit hole just got a lot bigger.

Reactions: bs009

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
I think I've talked myself out of this rabbit hole. My injectors and pump are still really new and I'm only running the 80s at about 50% DC right now which is plenty of head room to destroy a 10-bolt with ease.

The cam swap is already going to be a big challenge for me and adding in a bunch of extra parts will suck for both my wallet and my ego. I'd rather save the money for fuel system stuff and use it toward a rear end. Maybe after the cam tune I'll do fuel system upgrades and ported heads or a name brand turbo.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
when it spun the slicks at 28psi/105mph the TR was nearing 1k at the crank and the 127lbhr injectors were at 85%+ iirc

i spent so much time tearing through that datalog and comparing it to the 11.33 at 129.73 pass.....

....and wishing kevin wasnt such a pussy off the line with 2.1+ 60' times and we'd have a 10 second slip instead of just 12 dead transaxles and an 11.33

• Haha
Reactions: v6buicks

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
My fuel system in my '02 Camaro is adequate as of right now, but I'm about to the point where I can justify more power. I started buying cam swap parts a long time ago, but it didn't dawn on me until recently that I disregarded the fuel system. I have 80# injectors, so I think those will be fine. I also have an AEM 340 with a home made hot wire. That's it. The fuel sender bucket, lines, rail, and regulator are all stock.

I know nothing about BSFC. In fact, I had to google it, but this chart does seem to hint that my goal of 600hp is very possible with my pump. Then again these would have to be crank numbers. Does anybody know if there are restrictions or shortcomings in any of my fuel system parts once I start making over 500 hp?
View attachment 112699
I ran tha aem 340 pump back in the day I ran out of pump at 519whp on e85, I’d consider one of the hellcat pumps they look like a walbro450 but flow 525lph if I remember right one of those should be able to do 600whp on e85 I’d consider bosh 105lb injectors also, I was using 2 of the 525’s in my mustang no problem making north of 800

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
I ran tha aem 340 pump back in the day I ran out of pump at 519whp on e85, I’d consider one of the hellcat pumps they look like a walbro450 but flow 525lph if I remember right one of those should be able to do 600whp on e85 I’d consider bosh 105lb injectors also, I was using 2 of the 525’s in my mustang no problem making north of 800
Damn. Well that's good to know now rather than later. I can pretend like I'd be happy with 500whp, but the reality is that I'll be a bit disappointed if I don't at least hit 550.

Ideas keep brewing. Given 1quick's experiences, I'll definitely do a pump. I'd feel better getting rid of my pump for something that's drop in anyway. I'm not a big fan of the way I did my sender mods. It sounds like the 80s might not make it to 600, but have a bit more head room than the pump.

Something I've talked about since the day I got my Aeroforce gauge was installing a fuel pressure sensor. I think now is a great time to actually go through with that. I'd like to monitor it both in Aeroforce and HP if possible. I'm not sure if the two will get along splitting a signal though. Anybody had luck with this?

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
After talking with Ktj100 Ktj100 on Facebook it seems like I should be able to plug a fuel pressure sensor into both the Pro Link and the gauge as long as the ground references are tied together....
Animated GIF

That's exactly the problem I had with my friggen wideband. The difference here is that the Aeroforce gauge is grounded via DLC. I might just have to wing it and hope that there isn't any funny business between the ECM and my ground bar. There shouldn't be, but I've seen some stuff n things.

I also get to revisit this beautiful "diagram" I made for when I was building the instrumentation harness. :ROFLMAO: At least I planned ahead and put the "OPEN" input wire up by the aeroforce gauge where I somehow knew that I was going to want it. Tapping into my pretty new gauge harness will be as easy and unplugging one connector and adding a pin. to it.
1645719397558.png

I'll order the parts when I get home from my trip. I think it will be a good idea to get used to seeing my fuel pressure numbers in relation to boost this summer. Then when I start doing more power upgrades I'll know when I need a pump or regulator.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info