Fuel line repair?

Freebeer187

The Bolt Rounder
Feb 2, 2009
Schaumburg
I checked under my car during my lunch today because I thought I smelled gasoline. One line was partially saturated and I rubbed my finger across it, and it was gasoline. It is not the brake line as I had them replaced a few months ago.

I'll get pics later but the saturation begins at the bend that leads into the gas tank from the bottom of the car. The car has been running fine and there was no dripping going on.

I did a bit of research and it seems a lot of people are using repair kits vs replacing the whole line (like what he brake lines needed). Does anyone have any experience replacing or patching the fuel lines? Any recommendations?

Amazon has a Dorman repair kit for 180 bucks. I had an issue where my fuel line had a small leak near the bend from under the car up to the firewall. Since it was close to the factory nylon part of the fuel line I did a nylon to nylon but join and then a nylon to steel compression. Two years later still holding strong. In your case I would see no issue running nylon all the way to the gas tank. Dorman has a ton of videos on Youtube on how to use the kit.

Freebeer187

The Bolt Rounder
Feb 2, 2009
Schaumburg
Just put it in the air a bit and took a closer look. The lines are shot, and the one that is leaking (not dripping, just saturated) is the line that does not have the fuel filter connected to it. Its saturating about 6 inches worth of line shortly after the nylon connector from the gas tank.

The line continues to stay severely rusted as it travels down the car, and I am assuming it doesn't start to look any better until it starts rising up towards the firewall. I might call around and see what local shops charge to replace them to buy me some time to find my next car, and if it is reasonable i'd probably do it.

Since we are on the topic of ghetto fixes, this guys fix is crude but it seems to work. Is there any way I could rent tools to accomplish something like this? He uses a flare tool and the Dorman fuel line kit to make a long run of nylon line, and flares/compresses quick connects on the old/new line.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHaBTDMc5nM

Slit 3/8" or 5/16ths rubber hose n buy a crAploads of cheap worm clamps. Clean, oil, slip over hose, clamp tha shit outta it.

Sell

:noes:

Amazon has a Dorman repair kit for 180 bucks. I had an issue where my fuel line had a small leak near the bend from under the car up to the firewall. Since it was close to the factory nylon part of the fuel line I did a nylon to nylon but join and then a nylon to steel compression. Two years later still holding strong. In your case I would see no issue running nylon all the way to the gas tank. Dorman has a ton of videos on Youtube on how to use the kit.

That Dorman kit should work, but for my use I think it would be a one time use. Is there any alternative?

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
im surprised [MENTION=2616]Chester Copperpot[/MENTION] hasn't posted something like this yet:

lit_match_by_blackhive.jpg

02BlueGT

No Fucks Have Been Given
Feb 21, 2008
Now apearing in Hanover Park
It took me less than that $180 repair kit to run - 6an braided line all the way from the tank to the engine on the feed side(filter) and enough to get back to the firewall on the return. That includes several of the $15 a pop GM quick connect to an fittings. So that's an option... Even cheaper if you run an or factory style hardlines.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info