• Hi Guest, welcome to TCG 2.0. Please refer to the FAQ in User Support before you do anything else. It will make the transition MUCH easier.

IF YOU ARE SEEING AN "OOPS" ERROR PAGE, IT IS LIKELY BECAUSE YOUR BROWSER HAS NOT UPDATED YOUR CACHE. YOU CAN EITHER CLICK FORUMS AT THE TOP LEFT OR VISIT THECHICAGOGARAGE.COM AND BOOKMARK THAT. - Love, Mook

Fuel Issue...please help!

leo

Reaction score
'98 gtp...Not getting the fuel prime noise when ignition on engine off, and car wont start due to lack of fuel... checked the fuse and relays in the fuse block under hood and they seem good... anything else i can check before i dig around to replace the pump(with less than 3k miles on it)??? Thanks ahead of time for any input.

Handsome Jesus

A V6? What a ripoff...
Reaction score
take your hand and pound the hell out of the area around where the fuel pump is ( i usually just smack on the cover that goes over the fuel pump. That will sometimes get the pump to run again. you can also hit it from under the car. it might have a better effect.

the fuel pump resistor problem does not cause the car to not start at all IIRC?

try the barbaric method and hopefully that gets it going for ya.

modern-muscle

Reaction score
it sounds like an issue with pump, when you replace your pump sometimes you may think that the connector was clicked into place but when you put it in the tank the access tension along with the bumps from the ride will really test the connectors.

So i guess im saying dont go buying a new fuel pump just make sure everything is connected properly. If it is maybe test voltage, make sure everything is getting where its supposed to go. If you are not comfortable with that then hook up the pump to a battery and watch it work just to make sure thats not the problem. Give us a call if you need any help!

leo

Reaction score
thank you guys 4 the help and tips... im going to go out and try the out now,although i dont exactly know how il "bang" on the pump, isnt it indide the tank on these cars? but i will check connections...is there access to the tank/pump under the rear seat? or will i have to pull the whole tank?

leo

Reaction score
sweet! thank you for that. i may be able to check it out after all!

Handsome Jesus

A V6? What a ripoff...
Reaction score
yeah just bang on top of that cover and turn the key. and see if you hear the pump. it's not going to be actually banging on the pump obviously, but the shock from hitting there sometimes gets the pump to work...

I know it sounds lame but it is worth a try.

Fish

From the mean streets....
Reaction score
the fuel pump resistor problem does not cause the car to not start at all IIRC?
That will cause the car not to start. As far as the pump priming, I dont remember. It is worth a try though.

smug

Please go back to eating crayons
Reaction score
yeah just bang on top of that cover and turn the key. and see if you hear the pump. it's not going to be actually banging on the pump obviously, but the shock from hitting there sometimes gets the pump to work...

I know it sounds lame but it is worth a try.
i know this from experience

bikrboy128

Some say.....
Reaction score
That will cause the car not to start.
exactly what saturdayGS said, car will run, but not for more than a few seconds.

to the OP. take a rubber mallet, crawl under the car and beat the fuel tank while someone else turns the key. usually that will get it to go...

leo

Reaction score
ok, thanks for the support! so far all the fuses n relays have been replaced and still nothing... i havent had time to get all the crap out of my trunk to bang on the tank from the trunk... and havent gotten under the car yet either,but hopefully later today or tomorrow I will have a chance to do that. Unfortunately I guess I am just stuck having to drive my Cadillac STS-V for the next few days...darn, these 469hp are going to be a pain to drive in adverse weather...lol. Thanks again for the help, and I will let you guys know if the damn thing will start with some hammer love to the fuel tank!

leo

Reaction score
fixed the issue... 2 new relays in the fuse block, but the problem was that 3 pins under the fuse block came loose inside the fuse block and were just out of reach of the pind on the relay when it was pushed in. I had to go under the fuse bluck and push in all the wires and pins to ensure proper contact. Thank you guys for the help tho, I will keep those tips in mind should this issue happen again!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom