• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

🔧 Technical Fuel cells?

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
So, I haven't dropped my tank yet but I think it's going to be shit because I put a metal tube in it to siphon it and it came up with a buch of rust scale not to mention the color of the fuel. I found this cell, it's dimensionally similar to the OEM tank. There's also a plastic one that's very similar in dimensions.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/rhc-18-0117-su

To that end, I have a few questions about this:
-Perhaps more importantly, if I wanted to retain an OEM style fill could I bolt one up to the side of the tank and not have it leak/be frowned on?
-What else do I need to buy with this? I think a roll over vent would be required?
-What would I need to worry about if I ever took this thing to the track for some reason?
-Is the polymer or the aluminum cell a better choice?
-Am I right to get a rear sumped cell? I think it's the best solution in the long run, and I'd want to do that to the OEM tank if I go to all the trouble to get it out and coated.
-Should I just sump and coat the OE tank?
-How do you typically handle the "contact areas" such as the frame rails etc. it rests against when installing? Do I need to put something between the car and the cell, if so what's preferred?

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
Fuel cell is going to nickel and dime you to death with fittings and other stuff. Have put 2 of them in our lemons cars and I am glad I wasn't the owner of the car paying for all the stuff to make it work/fit and be safe.

I assume by track you mean drag strip?

You would use an intake like this instead of the stock cap.

1660070261992.png

Reactions: Mr_Roboto

Mr_Roboto

TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
I was thinking stock location. Being a liftback the Eagle isn't exactly the greatest setup to put a cell in due to the lack of a trunk and related fire walling.

I'm taking that as a no on putting a filler neck into the side of the cell?

Is that aluminized exhaust pipe?

I've got a feeling this stock tank will nickel and dime me too, especially trying to make it suitable to use with EFI. It needs to be pulled, cleaned, likely a fresh sender and coated internally. I have a new sender unit that has a 255 Walbro built on it with that Holley matting I'm kind of wishy washy on. It's meant for a returnless setup so I have to do something with that as well, although admittedly it will probably just be a hole into the tank and related bung.

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
I was thinking stock location. Being a liftback the Eagle isn't exactly the greatest setup to put a cell in due to the lack of a trunk and related fire walling.

I'm taking that as a no on putting a filler neck into the side of the cell?

Is that aluminized exhaust pipe?
I wouldn't do the exhaust pipe part. We ran something like this in our rx7. I wouldn't be super keen on having a fuel cell in the car without a firewall. I know I can't race in track days with that even if I have one of the more expensive fuel cells with a bladder.

1660071079149.png

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
If the aluminum cell fits in the OEM area you can easily have an aluminum tube the diameter of your fill hose made and welded to the side of it with no issues with The Tech Guys.

Asphalt or mastic impregnated felt is typically what's used as an isolator although a high density foam rubber would work just as well even probably 3M weather stripping from the hardware store would do okay.

If you're doing anything to it f****** stick with the aluminum one. The polymers are not easy to modify. The aluminum one if you want you can have them change aspects of it to make it fit in the OEM location better.

Mr_Roboto

TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Do they sell a stock replacement tank for your car? I'd do that first.

I run a plastic cell in the '67. Fittings and rollover vents will run some $$$.
No, that's part of the problem otherwise I'd buy one and get it sumped and be done with it. The guy I bought the car from said he got it boiled once and had some solder work done on it so that makes me leery of doing it again.

Jimy Bilmo

CSVT OG Member
TCG Premium
TCG Goldmember
Aug 16, 2005
No, that's part of the problem otherwise I'd buy one and get it sumped and be done with it. The guy I bought the car from said he got it boiled once and had some solder work done on it so that makes me leery of doing it again.
Give them a buzz. They've done some tanks for us, that we didn't think were going to be salvageable.

Mr_Roboto

TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
That was kind of not the answer I was expecitng. :rofl:

Point taken, there's a radiator place locally that says they do classic car work. I'll toss a dime at them and see if they can help me out. Sounds like even converting this to EFI will be less of a pain in the ass than doing a cell by the way you folks are making it out.

Mr_Roboto

TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Well, shit went and took the tank to be boiled. They said I would be in some bank for it because it needed cut and welded. Twice as much as a cell by its self would cost.

I was told they had it boiled before and it was not coated so I suspect they ate the galvanizing off via caustic soda and it ate its self alive.

May not get a choice in this it's going to be a headache.

Need to call Rhodes tomorrow and get a measurement or two.

Mr_Roboto

TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Do you have a picture of this bugger? There are plenty of aftermarket fuel cells that fit in Factory locations that might be easily modified

Edit
I didn't realize you were probably talking about roads tanks and they would probably be able to find something existing they could make work or go straight custom
I think the cell in the op would fit pretty well. Would likely need to adjust the straps and add some spacers to put it 2" or so down. Besides that I would get a 45 filler and couple it to the stock neck and may well be done based on my measurements. I may need a hint of clearance in the filler neck area of the floor pan but 50/50 on that now.

PXL_20220816_232154046.jpg

PXL_20220816_232206502.jpg

PXL_20220816_232233035.jpg

PXL_20220816_232212238.jpg

Wondering about electrolysis at this point. Not a lot to lose here I think.

Mr_Roboto

TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Okay, so I went forward with the cell install. I put stuff in my build thread about it, but reader's digest is it's in the OEM position and using a custom fill neck. I have some adjustments to that in the future, but meh it's good enough for the rest of the year which will likely be 100 miles of driving if that.

Overall I rate this project a moderate pain in the ass and expense (estimated below) but worth it. (inc shipping, rough costs)

steel plate for sender-~$10
Rhodes Cell-~$270
Fittings-~$50
level sender-~$40
1.5" weld el-$10
frame steel-~$45
material to prevent metal to metal contact w/cell-$15
Fuel neck hose-$20
fuel filler (boat)-$20
total-$480

I would have loved to have gotten a $175 fuel tank/sender but hey some times you don't get a choice in things. What I've gained in this is I can run any fuel system I want to, period. It doesn't matter if it's a big ass Maggie/Weldon, a mechanical carb pump as I am now or an in tank Aeromotive 340 like I'm planning to. I can also readily drain this in the winter and change fuels if I want to say dumping in race fuel or E85.

One more thing I almost forgot to add. The information Summit, Rhodes etc. had for the 18-0117 cell was INCORRECT. They say it's all 8AN but I had an 8AN vent, a 10AN vent, a 10AN and a 12AN bung in the sump. I am glad I bought fittings after, it would have required returning them otherwise. I'm not sure if this was an isolated thing e.g. I got a one off tank or if the specs are wrong.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info