fuckin women...

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
giving me more work to do...

long story short...boss's wife is an idiot...i now have to rebuild the 3.0V6 (vvti) in her 01 avalon it's been smoking hard on startup since i had to put nearly 3.5qts of oil in it a month ago (4.5qts cap!!!)

cyl 1,4,5 intake guide seals leaking like mad, cyl 3 leakdown at 20% (rings more than likely)

crap 47.8 book hours for overhaul...vs 4500$ for a reman longblock

so i'm rebuilding it...shouldnt be too bad i've done one vvti 4 cylinder toy

fuckin women...:slap:

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
That sucks, u work on imports before?

all tooo often

in 03 i had a fella (from newzealand) bring in an new 02 toyota (in lease) where he hadent changed the oil/filter in 14k...
aparently no one bothered to explain to him that miles>kilometers

fucker was FULL of black carbon i pulled the filter off and scrapped sludge out of it i've never before seen in one filter...

that car needed a new engine...there was no saving it
so he bought and paid for a reman engine 2 months before he was to turn the car in....

with the shit i've seen i could write a book...volumn two would be on just steve miller's fuckups...

M@

Somebody buy this thing
Nov 26, 2007
all tooo often

in 03 i had a fella (from newzealand) bring in an new 02 toyota (in lease) where he hadent changed the oil/filter in 14k...
aparently no one bothered to explain to him that miles>kilometers

fucker was FULL of black carbon i pulled the filter off and scrapped sludge out of it i've never before seen in one filter...

that car needed a new engine...there was no saving it
so he bought and paid for a reman engine 2 months before he was to turn the car in....

with the shit i've seen i could write a book...volumn two would be on just steve miller's fuckups...

Can I guest write a chapter or two?

Poopshinanigans

I'm a middle of the titties voter.
Nov 18, 2007
I checked my moms oil once when she owned her beetle. 5qt cap and i had to fill it up with 2.5 qts. I told her that the clicking noise she heard from the engine was the valve train not having lubrication. It was a lost cause when she asked what a valve train was.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Who the hell is Steve Miller? I haven't been in the 3800 game that long but i hear this guys name getting tossed around alot. If he fucked up so many peoples cars, why did so many people let him do shit to theirs?

He did everything he did half assed. It may have worked, but it is/was a PITA to deal with if something went wrong or you wanted to demod.

FWIW, he did learn alot of shit at Intense..........

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
He did everything he did half assed. It may have worked, but it is/was a PITA to deal with if something went wrong or you wanted to demod.

I still talk to him now and then. If anyone is buying something from him: 1. verify the condition...he's notrious for making the deal look sweeter than it is (burned out trans/sell as fresh rebuild, etc.)
2. never pay him up front without parts in hand (he sold the same car trailer to 3 different people)
3. Never lend him anything (epecially expensive) he tends to sell things people loan him.

Ask Mike K. about it sometime...Mike is Waaaay to easy on him. I spent a signifigant amout of time fixing post-Miller projects, and you basically have to redo everything he touched.

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
Yes, it ran 12 flat once. He never tried to do it again, rather drop (so he says) almost 30K into it for a new CSC set-up that only went about 20feet. Rumor is he used his parents CC's to do it all, without their consent.

Hard to believe all the crap you hear about people, but I have personally had some bad experiences that I am sure of. I know of at least 2 guys locally that got REALLY screwed by him on car work...Wes and Rob. James can back me up on Rob's situation, as he probably got stuck in the middle the most of anyone.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
no 3800 swap...but he wants me to look into installing the 3800 low oil level switch with a bright red light on the dash in the avalon...maybe even have it kill the car lol

i'm sure that he has ADD and/or zit on humanity's ass syndrome

cars are well engineered machines...you dont treat them like a macaroni pictureframe i highly doubt tim king has a poor work ethic (after seeing the work in the firebird)...i'm sure that speaks mostly to millers lack of character

I still talk to him now and then. ....... I spent a signifigant amout of time fixing post-Miller projects, and you basically have to redo everything he touched.

QFT

crap like swapping out a 35k 03 gt starter for an OE ~98/99 startr on erics turbo 03 Gt (i only time i met eric i had to deliver the bad news (morad 04 L32 wasnt an L32...about the starter, etc etc) miller had put an "excess" of RTV while reusing the T cover gasket/oil filter adaptor (that gasket wasmissing a whole section...i took it off in car and i couldnt find the missing piece....missing radiator mount bushings...

sorry youll have to buy the book!

:run:

btw i have to reassemble the silver car...its in bob's driveway...no RF axle just most of an engine and trans, wiring harness and an interior/trunk full of parts.
wes and rob's GP's arent shit compared to this puzzle...
oh and its gotta be all OE bolts....i hate puzzles why do i do this to myself?!?
:bash:

i gotta mic the bore but other than a tiny ridge it doesnt look too bad you can see that the valvesprings with coking on them were running the hottest from lack of oil and i could see the oil run down the valve into the intake port...

i did get a close look at the VVTi mechanism...interesting shit but i'd wrather have an dry camshaft belt drive (vernier) remote electric WP and a solid roller cam lol

the chrysler combustion chamber cleaner worked wonders...all the carbon is just wiping off the aluminum...everything is looking practically brand new!

i'm reworking the riv's and 442's blocks while i'm rebuilding the toyota at work lol i hate carrying tools back and forth

Euro

GM or Nothing
Oct 22, 2007
Roselle
Real Name
Matt
Yes, it ran 12 flat once. He never tried to do it again, rather drop (so he says) almost 30K into it for a new CSC set-up that only went about 20feet. Rumor is he used his parents CC's to do it all, without their consent.

Hard to believe all the crap you hear about people, but I have personally had some bad experiences that I am sure of. I know of at least 2 guys locally that got REALLY screwed by him on car work...Wes and Rob. James can back me up on Rob's situation, as he probably got stuck in the middle the most of anyone.

Now that I keep hearing about this guy, I remember Scott and Wendy Sears talking about the bad experiences they've heard of people having with this guy a while ago.

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
whos Scott and Wendy Sears?

Now I feel old!

Chicago GP club went away, but they were pretty strong for awhile. Had some pretty big events. I have a couple of trophies from CGPC events sitting on a shelf in the garage. ILGPC was formed out of a few members that splintered off the Chicago club after a feud over money for a 2002? 2003? race. I lined up against the "famous" Mike Dye at that event and took him off the line (he blew his diff, lol). We used to run a gambler's bracket, I ended up taking home about $150 from that race, IIRC.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Miller was at intense more when Big Jeff was there. Im not saying big Jeff has bad worth ethics, but I will say that Scott doesnt really have much back in the day. He cared more when he had to repair the damage done to the intense name and has done so a little bit.

LOL, dont even get me started on buying parts from the guy. I dont want to talk about that debacle. Or how long it took to get them. Or what they looked like when I finally did get them.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
well its back on the road

i did find out where all the oil went...what didnt get burned in the chambers got burned/coked onto the inside of the block/heads etc

i scrapped off 1.4 lbs of sludge just from the two heads

bearings were fine so i reused em, i rehoned the bores with my sunnen and slapped in new rings yada yad yada
a few of the guides were on the wide side of spec but fuckit they went back in. i lost one of the keepers so i just welded the valve and retainer together...worked great

i hadent done it before but curiosity got the better of me and i tore apart the VVTi cam "servo" to see what it looked like inside...cool stuff but i think i'll stick with my good old american pushrod engines....much cheaper...

btw just kiddin' on the welding bit lol i had a spare in my toolbox...whoda thunk saving junk parts (that are easily lost) would come in handy someday?
sat in there for probably 5-6 years before i needed it lol

lets hope she learned her fucking lesson...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info