FS 85 Pontiac Fiero

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone. I'm mostly a lurker these days, but I would trust most of you over any random person on craigslist.

Basic Info:

1985 Pontiac Fiero
Black, V6 2.8L, Notchback style, 4Spd Manual
It's been in storage but I believe it has around 85-90K on the odometer.
Clean title in hand
TCG Special Price: $300
*The car will have to be towed*

IMG_0182edit.jpg

Photo0166.jpg

IMG_0420.JPG

Photo0135.jpg

This car was my first project car that I bought and it's time to let it go. I bought this back in 2012/2013 and fixed it for a few years. You can check the thread out here: 85 Fiero Build . I have a lot of spare parts sitting around that I'm willing to throw in with it. Extra engine parts, intakes, etc.

Things I replaced:
- Sunroof hardware
- 87/88 Gauges (brighter, matches the voltmeter/oil pressure on the console)
- Cradle nuts and solid aluminum bushings
- New cradle bolts
- Stainless steel fuel line
- Fuel pump
- Stainless steel brake line, calipers, pads, rotors
- Tires have about 10-12k miles on the, probably a bit dry rotted by now
- New axles and syncromesh in the transmission

The issue:
I've done a lot of work on it, unfortunately after I decided to take it to Rantoul for some autocross racing a few years ago it came back with some horrible rapid knocking. I tore the top end apart and couldn't find anything bent or broken so I believe the issue happened in the bottom end but I never confirmed. At this point I'd say replace the motor and be done with it. Everything else worked fine on the car up until that trip.

Other miscellaneous things:
- replaced the door carpet with vinyl for a project, it's probably sagging in a couple places
- small tear in the driver side seat
- plasti-dip in a couple places like the hood or gas cap door, tried to cover up some of the bad paint spots
- engine top end is currently taken apart and exposed.
- no radio
- trunk rust. I already cut the corners out but there's problem some more back

I don't live in the suburbs anymore and only come back once every couple months, but I can make a special trip back for someone if they're interested. The car has been stored inside a garage in Wheaton, but I'd like to move on to some other hobbies and save up some cash.

If you have any questions about the car or are interested please let me know. I'm in town this weekend until tomorrow early afternoon.

Last edited:
Reactions: SaturdaysGS

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
As in a Venture's 3.4L V6?

I'm stuffing an LS motor in mine if I were to do it.

Yeah a Venture engine. No they're not the end of the world power (you get about +45hp) but they're damn easy based on what I understand of these and they grow on trees too. They also turbo pretty damn well too based on what I've seen and although not an LS more space conscious. The 3500 is another option too.

Last edited:

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
Yeah, the cool thing about the 60 degree v6 cars is that everything is pretty easily interchangeable until you get to the 3900. I always thought it was too bad that more ASC McLaren Grand Prixs weren't made. I would like to toy with a Turbo 3.1L or 3.4 DOHC if there were more parts available.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Yeah, the cool thing about the 60 degree v6 cars is that everything is pretty easily interchangeable until you get to the 3900. I always thought it was too bad that more ASC McLaren Grand Prixs weren't made. I would like to toy with a Turbo 3.1L or 3.4 DOHC if there were more parts available.
Had a '06 G6 GTP M6 with the 3900. Honestly it was a good engine. Comfortable levels of power on the low end and pulled strong to 6k. I still miss it at times.

It had cam phasing and as a result had a very wide power band. Power was smooth and linear with plenty of grunt down low. Peak torque was around 2800rpm, and peak power was at 6000rpm.

Enough to take the car to low 15's @ ~95mph with my poor self launching it. In a third gen I think it would honestly be faster than an L98 if both engines were stock and still making their advertised power. Considering it did it with no forced induction I was plenty happy with it.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)

Even stock crappy 2.8Ls make good power turboed believe it or not. Go look at what some of the Thirdgenners are doing. If I didn't already have 3 inop cars sitting around I'd probably be interested in this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thread Info