FS: 1991 Galant VR4 #457/2000 Springfield, MO 4500 oBo

Status
Not open for further replies.
PRICE DROP FS: 1991 Galant VR4 #457/2000 Springfield, MO $3950 oBo

Well, this is something that I had no intentions of ever doing, let alone at this time, however due to immediate circumstances it seems that it is the logical (I hate to use that term when talking about this car) thing to do.

For sale is my 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4, number 457/2000. I purchased this car about two and a half years ago from Frank at AMS. As with most owners of these vehicles, I've been through some extreme peaks and lows with it, ranging from having the car down for a couple months at a time trying to figure out why I was getting oil in my cooling system (cracked factory oil cooler... since replaced with a '91 external cooler setup), to winning the points championship and going undefeated in the local King of the Street drag race competition during the 2008 season. That all being said, as the car sits now it has seen much better days. It suffered terribly last summer at which time it took a beating from a nasty storm in Southern Illinois in the form of hail damage. This is truely sad as it is also the only GVR4 that I've ever seen with shaved side moulding. Mechanically it has issues as well. It used to have a Shep Stage 3 trans, but after that year long of hard launches at the track, third gear sheared and caused some havoc. Since it was my daily, I had to do the quick fix and swap a stock transmission in. Luckily, this transmission came from a 1992 Eclipse GSX with only 13K MILES! It shifts a little notchy, but works well hasn't given me any issues yet. Alright, well I think instead of me rambling on it's probably just best to make it short and sweet and do the Good/Bad list.

Good (Installed):

Mechanical-

*PTE 5031re dual ball bearing turbo
*New Mitsu MLS HG about 10k miles ago (I replaced the HG after an incorrect diagnosis due to the oil in the cooling system)
*Timing belt also done about 10k miles ago
*All ARP Hardware throughout engine, with otherwise stock internals. Including ARP Head Studs
*3G Eclipse Lifters
*Balance Shafts Removed
*Hallman MBC
*AEM UEGO WB AF Gauge
*3 Inch AMS custom exhaust from turbo-back
*AMS stock manifold->T3 adapter with WG port
*Tial 38mm WG
*GSC 272 272 Cams
*720cc injectors
*Aeromotive AFPR with fluid filled gauge
*Walbro 255lph pump
*New fuel filter about 5k miles ago
*Polyurethane Engine mount, Mustache brace and Rear subframe bushings
*Super Rare GAB Strut tower brace
*Greddy Type-S BoV
*AMS IC upper and lower hardpipes
*EVO III IC
*2G MAS
*Undamaged, recapped ECU with Keydiver chip
*Civic Aluminum Radiator with e-fan
*Battery relocated to trunk
*Braided Stainless brake lines
*Calipers/pads/rotors about 15k miles ago (They look like crap though because I failed to paint them before installation. I thought they had a clear)
*Lowering Springs (Unsure of which brand)
*Installed driver's side rear wheel bearing about 5k miles ago.
*Brand new e-brake cables installed about 5k miles ago.
*4-Bolt Rear Diff
*Clutchnet Sprung hug 4 puck clutch disc
*ACT 3200# pressure plate

Cosmetic -

*SUPER GOOD CONDITION SEATS. No rips or tears in drivers or passenger side front seats, the rears are mint! overall 9.5 cause they need conditioning.
*Steering column gauge pod (clean) with autometer boost gauge
*EVO I (this is what Frank told me) Steering wheel. Either way, I've searched my ass off and can't find this wheel anywhere. It's a smaller diameter racing wheel but has the factory Mitsubishi emblem on it with working horn. It looks and functions awesome.
*JDM Front Bumper
*JDM Fogs
*EVO III wheels painted flat black
*Shaved side door mouldings... looks very smooth
*Black trim rear tail lights
*Galant RS (?) Front Grille. This looks similar to factory but there is no emblem on it anywhere. Just has Fulltime 4WD emblem
*The car is completely debadged of all Mitsu emblems
*JDM Gas Door (No Lock)

The Bad:

*It burns some oil. The only time I ever see any smoke is under boost and it isn't a huge amount, but it burns oil none-the less. I assume it is the oil seals in the turbo for the simple fact that it is only under boost. I've pulled the lower IC pipes and there is no oil built up in the IC.
*After replacing the transmission with the stock, 13k mile eclipse GSX transmission I neglected to also replaced the ACT 4 puck clutch with 3200 pound disc. The clutch is in good shape. That's not the problem. The problem is that I built this setup to not slip, and it doesn't. It is a BEAR to drive daily. If you have any expectation of doing so, you're going to need to re-learn how to drive stick, beef up your left leg, or swap the clutch. That being said, I have daily driven the car like this since last May.
*All four shocks are shot. They need to be replaced. Fronts are EVO VIII and rears KYB. Fronts need replaced moreso than rears.
*Driveshaft carrier bearings need to be replaced
*Rear differential is making alot of noise (I have the rear diff from the 13k mile GSX. It's in the garage. The new owner would get this).
It has a couple exhaust leaks. When I did the trans swap I didn't have time to get new gaskets. The DP-"catback" gasket is blown and needs to be replaced. WG Gaskets also need to be replaced. I replaced them 5k miles ago but they blew out again. I used the stamped steel type, I think you need either copper or the corrugated steel type.
*It has a wiring gremlin causing the starter to engage but not always crank over. I'm 99% sure it's a bad engine->chassis ground cable and will replace it before sale. (there used to be alot of these types of gremlins thanks to some VERY shoddy wiring by the previous owner(s), most all of which I have correctly repaired)
*Power Steering Pump is on it's way out. One of the PS hardlines off the rack is cracked and has a very slight leak.
*the bottom lip of the trunk lid is starting to rust on the inside. There is only a small dot visible on the outside.
*I found a spot of rust on the inner passenger side front fenderwell. I haven't been able to closely examine it yet, it's something I just found. Looks like it's just on the surface.
*the car has what I would call severe hail damage. It has gotten the roof, hood, front fenders, rear quarters, and trunk lid. I'm not sugar coating anything.
*there is also a door ding in the passenger side rear door.
*Driver's side headlight has a crack
*Trunk only opens with key
*Depending how you look at things, it has A/C and Cruise deleted. I don't have any of the parts, it was like this when I bought it.

-Uninstalled Items included with purchase:

*Carbon Fibre Driver's side speaker pod gauge mount(dual 52mm gauges)
*Poly shifter bushings
*Fuel filter -> rail braided stainless line
*13k miles Eclipse GSX 4 bolt Rear Diff
*1 spare front and 1 rear axle
*Electric Oil Pressure, Water Temp and Boost Gauges from Marshall Group Buy
*Galantvr4.org 457/2000 sticker x 2
*I know there is more, but I can't remember off of the top of my head.

So, there's the list of everything. The good, bad, ugly, and some freebies. I may have made the car out to sound like it looks terrible, and to me I won't disagree only because I know how good it used to look pre-hail. That being said, from 10 feet the car looks pretty damn good. Alot of my friends that saw the car every day for the last 2 years have said it doesn't look that bad.

*PRICE DROP*Asking price is $3,950 or Best Offer. I payed 7k for this car when I purchased it. I've done a lot to make it better, and things have happened over time to make it worse. If you are interested, the best way to reach me is through email or by phone.

Sincerely,

Chris Clark
630-310-0929
[email protected]

Last edited:

Chrisco

is a work in progress
Jan 26, 2008
Downers Grove, IL.
nbarh2.jpg

2ymsy08.jpg

5l2p04.jpg

16nqjn.jpg

6rmx3b.jpg

wwmflh.jpg

352rt5i.jpg

w025qf.jpg

21m7lp1.jpg

2u5upg7.jpg

675suu.jpg

1gp47d.jpg

2zdsl5x.jpg

15yt7k4.jpg

54df2v.jpg

2crtt8w.jpg

296ndyu.jpg

2mepfro.jpg

34orq5c.jpg

2i6z8kh.jpg

24v49pw.jpg

2j1khmr.jpg

2z7lkwz.jpg

2lcrcd2.jpg

9toi0n.jpg

2hydj5u.jpg

10q9a38.jpg

2yjsr5x.jpg

2iggodu.jpg

293uas9.jpg

2akl0r4.jpg

14uc55c.jpg

2v1w66p.jpg

1o52sj.jpg

o0teyq.jpg

2dme63r.jpg

mht6v.jpg

infznt.jpg

4ryvzm.jpg

2mzlkl2.jpg

This is the rust spot in the passenger front wheel well. It is behind the wheel.

28aufd5.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thread Info