Gaming Free Optiplex 7050 - Worth it or junk?

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
My buddy came over for the Super Bowl and brought his recently replaced Dell Optiplex 7050 i5 V Pro SFF desktop over for me. He pulled the hard drive so I would need an SSD and copy of Windows 10. Worth messing with or is it junk?

81dWmEXno0L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

815odhuXpoL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Looks new enough that you won't need anything more than a Windows 10 ISO, the Product Key is baked into the EFI firmware, it'll activate straight out of the box. If you really want to make sure no drivers/nonsense you can get the Dell OEM Recovery app to burn a Recovery USB. https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/drivers/osiso/wt64a

Otherwise, you can download vanilla W10, instal lit, and then install the missing dell drivers (I recommend snagging the network driver, and Dell Command Update to install the rest of them).

But, if I remember correctly a 7050 uses a 7th gen intel, and just squeezes into the mix for supporting Windows 11. Depending on the CPU, and what you want to do with it, it should be okay. Basic office grunt work, web-browsing, and really not much else.

The PSU is a proprietary unit, won't support any GPUs that use external power, so you are limited to a 75w card like a Nvidia P2200 and the like. And the PSU is only capable of 180w, so between a 75w GPU and an i5-7xxx that's cutting it really close to the power limit.

Reactions: Flyn

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
1TB ssd are under $50 for the cheaper ones. The faster brand name ones are not, but in SATA form its just not worth it. SATA is so limiting to modern NAND.

A 7050 doesn't have a NVMe slot as far as I remember. If you want, you can buy something like this PCIe NVMe card and install a single NVMe PCIe 3.0 x4 drive. But, I don't think you'll be able to boot from it.

muskie

TCG Elite Member
May 26, 2011
Palatine
Looks new enough that you won't need anything more than a Windows 10 ISO, the Product Key is baked into the EFI firmware, it'll activate straight out of the box. If you really want to make sure no drivers/nonsense you can get the Dell OEM Recovery app to burn a Recovery USB. https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/drivers/osiso/wt64a

Otherwise, you can download vanilla W10, instal lit, and then install the missing dell drivers (I recommend snagging the network driver, and Dell Command Update to install the rest of them).
Even easier just download Support Assist from Dell's site after installing Windows. Will auto download and update everything. No need to even download a Network Driver first. Will connect to WiFi or Ethernet out of the box with baked in Windows drivers. Easier for someone who might not know what they are doing

Reactions: Flyn and Mr_Roboto

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Even easier just download Support Assist from Dell's site after installing Windows. Will auto download and update everything. No need to even download a Network Driver first. Will connect to WiFi or Ethernet out of the box with baked in Windows drivers. Easier for someone who might not know what they are doing
I've seen cases where vanilla Win10 did not have a network driver. That's why I recommend downloading the network driver.

Del Command Update is better than SupportAssist because it can add all Model drivers to the WinSXS driver store. Support Assist can only install drivers for detected hardware. So stuff that shows up as "generic PCI device" aren't always picked up properly. DCU fixes that by adding all of the drivers to the store, so it gets picked up on the next reboot.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
My typical process is to:
  1. Format and Install Windows 10/11.
  2. At the Out of Box Experience, I press CTRL+SHIFT+F3 to enter Audit Mode.
  3. After the reboot, I install Dell Command Update, and the Network driver if needed. I run DCC to do an Advanced Driver Restore, which injects all the drivers into the image.
  4. Perform any Windows Updates required, let it reboot if needed.
  5. Then I tell SYSPREP to 'Enter OOBE', check the box for 'Generalize' and 'Reboot'.

The next time it boots up it has every single driver required, and is clean as a whistle.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Thanks for the comments guys! I don't really need this computer but I may just put it in my home office so I don't need to move my laptop in there when I want a computer. Could use it for youtube podcasting, too. Probably won't be gaming so I don't need a video card.

OR, do I take eveything out, paint the case, cut some holes for fans and a bigger PSU and rebuild it into a gaming machine? That would be fun but I doubt I would use it for gaming much.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
So far, I ordered a Western Digital Black SN770 M2 NVMe 1TB drive and a Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse.

My buddy says he has an ISO Windows 10 and will bring it over.

I need to wait 2 weeks for the drive. Stupid production slowdowns.

What do you guys think of using a TV as a monitor? You can get 40" 4K TVs dirt cheap.

I'm assuming I should get a heatsink for the SN770, correct? It doesn't come with one.

It's starting to look like this will turn out to be a gaming machine if I find a cheap video card that will work. I will definitely have to replace the PSU if I do that. It's 180 watts. There's a 240 watt upgrade that will fit and they're available used on Ebay but I will need to cut the back panel I want to go bigger than that.

I like building computers but it has been a long time since I did one. My wife is rolling her eyes because she has seen this before.

Reactions: Mr_Roboto

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
It all depends on the generation. Find out what generation it is. Anything 6th gen and older is junk. Even 6th gen to 10th gen is he same chip,barely a performance difference. It’s really only with the 11th that Intel started improving, because AMD was slaughtering them on ever front.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
It all depends on the generation. Find out what generation it is. Anything 6th gen and older is junk. Even 6th gen to 10th gen is he same chip,barely a performance difference. It’s really only with the 11th that Intel started improving, because AMD was slaughtering them on ever front.
Laughly I'm writing this from an E6530. It's fine for surfing and Word, and I do some CAD work from it but it wouldn't be my first choice. Dell bricks tend to be universal among the business laptops and an SSD isn't bad either.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
I'll have to open the laptop up and see. Thanks!

Desktop definitely has the NVMe slot.

EDIT: Looked at the laptop and it's a Latitude 5490.

Probably this one: If you don't need the fastest system possible but you like everything else about the Latitude 5490, look at the $1,279 model, which rocks a Core i5-8250U CPU, 8GB of RAM and a 256GB SSD.

I hit the power button with no power cord and it gave me the Dell logo and then No bootable devices found. At least the battery works. It is an i5 8th gen.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
I'm making progress.

Installed the WD M.2 1TB drive.

Tried installing a 300W PSU I bought off Ebay that was guaranteed to work in the 7050. It didn't. Sending it back and getting the 240W that I know will fit/work.

Ordered a T400 video card that only pulls 30W and is capable of 4K and moderate gaming. It fits in the single slot. Ordered it on sale from Lenovo and they just sent me an email saying it's delayed. Bastards.

Downloaded to a flash drive and installed Windows 10 Pro with no issues.

My WiFi adapter showed up today. I will install it tomorrow.

Ordered a Vizio M6 43" smart TV to use as the monitor. $100 off at BJs this week.

The video card is the only part that won't be ready by next week. They say within a month on it.

I may bump the RAM up to 16GB from the current 8GB. I'll see how it works with the 8GB first. Optiplex can handle 32GB but what would I need that for?

Reactions: Mr_Roboto
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info