Frank's random auction purchases/ daily driver work trucks thread.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
Well I’m going to take a gamble. My “usual” auction source for trucks has had absolutely insane prices for the past few months due to the shortages all around. Most of the trucks selling there are bringing as much or MORE than I can realistically sell them for private party.

I have a theory that this F-450’s going to do about the same money at auction than it will privately, and saves me the trouble of having to mint it out and deal with people. I’ve been buying a truck here and there at these random farm sales, so, if I can get them and bring them right to another auction, it’ll give me easy profits with a four week turnaround time max. It’ll give me more time to expand buying and selling of agricultural equipment because that’s my current “hot” market.

If I time things right and the trucks don’t need anything horrific, I can pick them up and drop them right at the selling auction yard, as long as they have the paperwork within a week of the sale I’m good to go.

281C589B-C568-4732-9444-C39802286A75.jpeg

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
Well I’m going to take a gamble. My “usual” auction source for trucks has had absolutely insane prices for the past few months due to the shortages all around. Most of the trucks selling there are bringing as much or MORE than I can realistically sell them for private party.

I have a theory that this F-450’s going to do about the same money at auction than it will privately, and saves me the trouble of having to mint it out and deal with people. I’ve been buying a truck here and there at these random farm sales, so, if I can get them and bring them right to another auction, it’ll give me easy profits with a four week turnaround time max. It’ll give me more time to expand buying and selling of agricultural equipment because that’s my current “hot” market.

If I time things right and the trucks don’t need anything horrific, I can pick them up and drop them right at the selling auction yard, as long as they have the paperwork within a week of the sale I’m good to go.

View attachment 92461

Well my theory was incorrect. Took a $2,500 loss. Truck needed a lot of work, that’s the downside to buying sight unseen. It was a desperation purchase at the time as there was nothing around to buy and a bad call on my part so lesson learned at the end.

Needed manifolds and up pipes, throttle pedal assembly, oil cooler resealed, glow plugs/ module and some other odds and ends like the window track being messed up, AC fucked up, etc. I wasn’t prepared to take the time to mint the truck out to list it privately to still probably take a loss in the end.

BBA407B5-A80D-482C-ACC0-9B14B4BE54DC.png

• Wow
Reactions: DEEZUZ

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
Bought a new H yesterday. Unfortunately with these old tractors it’s cheaper to just buy one that some old timer lovingly went through than it is to even put tires on one.

I also found a nice H with a Schwartz wide front privately last night for $1,850 OBO. Probably will end up going and buying the one with the wide front, swapping the new tires, weights and a couple of the nice period aftermarket bits off of the one I just bought onto the wide front H and selling this one for what I paid.

I picked up this one for $1,750 and have someone coming for $1,000 for my old one. Bought a really nice IH bar rake as well.

4A085151-9005-4F7B-B3F2-EBFA92A7CDA2.jpeg

A712A4FB-28C3-4509-BF29-1097DC58494F.jpeg

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
Annnnd I bought the wide front H yesterday.

Going to take the wheel weights, steering wheel, seat, and some other odds and ends off the V wheel tractor I just got and essentially make one really nice one out of the pair and sell the V wheel.

I’ll run this one until I find a really nice Super H, and then swap the wide front and whatever parts between the two and sell this one. I’m essentially trying to build the perfect super H for nothing.

A799989A-110A-46EB-97AB-058195FF8718.jpeg

FB9FABAA-820E-4B20-8C53-30DAFBC6A3D7.jpeg

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
Selling to people online just keeps getting worse. When people actually do show up I usually give them an even better deal as a thank you.

And thats when I even try to sell shit. I have some stuff now I don't want to throw away but I don't want to deal with these idiots.

Agreed. I had 67 messages on that mower I took the screenshot of. Accepted 25 people’s offers and then they’d disappear. Took 6 weeks to sell, guy finally came with full asking price. Depends on the item and market you’re catering to for sure.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Well my theory was incorrect. Took a $2,500 loss. Truck needed a lot of work, that’s the downside to buying sight unseen. It was a desperation purchase at the time as there was nothing around to buy and a bad call on my part so lesson learned at the end.

Needed manifolds and up pipes, throttle pedal assembly, oil cooler resealed, glow plugs/ module and some other odds and ends like the window track being messed up, AC fucked up, etc. I wasn’t prepared to take the time to mint the truck out to list it privately to still probably take a loss in the end.

View attachment 93828

this sucks that it went this way for you but i do appreciate you showing that it's not all gold and sunshine and rainbows

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
this sucks that it went this way for you but i do appreciate you showing that it's not all gold and sunshine and rainbows

It’s definitely not. In the end I was able to come close to breaking even on that sale all in all. I purchased two riding mowers and a zero turn that came out to about $400 short of even after their profits and the trucks loss. Cheap lesson to learn.

The original seller was smart or just coincidentally lucky. They dropped the truck off after inspections were done the day prior to the sale. I wasn’t able to make it in person, so bid online and rolled the dice. On-site bidders were able to see it day-of, I was not.

Reactions: Yaj Yak

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
Got a nice muffler setup for the Case last week after six trips to the fleet store and then promptly managed to crack the 90 that comes up off the manifold while aligning it to keep it away from the loader arm. Got the new used piece today (lucky to find one), made a new gasket and put it all together. Fired it up, it’s so nice and quiet now compared to the 3’ straight pipe it had. Moved the loader up and down to check for any clearance issues and hydraulic fluid started pouring out of the bottom. Hard line under the tractor was rubbing on the hydraulic tank and finally gave out.

Two steps forward, two steps back lol.

91228F96-29E2-41CA-B78B-5028A7434349.jpeg

8E99D676-D615-4227-8CDD-12B10E12ABD9.jpeg

Reactions: Jon01

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
Braise on the hyd feed line off the pump rubbed through on my case. Had a new line made and took the opportunity to replace all of the soft lines and do a drain and fill on the system. Also got the new muffler on and manifold 90.

Have everything swapped from one H to another except the wide front. Swapped air intakes, gauges, choke lever and some other odds and ends. Wide front swap can happen now that the loader is operational again.

5AB74AF9-0219-4B35-B50E-CE58347E5D1F.jpeg

B95CC78C-CBB8-4047-998B-201F6AE29DF2.jpeg

A06BDEDC-920C-4050-8F12-F47C5E55669D.jpeg

B01ED569-3B4A-4976-B4BF-5A1D3FAA2991.jpeg

IceCreamAssassin

When in doubt, throttle out
TCG Premium
Jan 28, 2011
Cary
I think I’m going to pick back up with doing a YouTube series on taking these trucks from auction rigs to ready for sale, going through the cosmetic and mechanical reconditioning.

Problem is I’m so fucking boring talking by myself. Nothing like my true personality. Oh well.
That would be awesome, I hear the more you do it tho the better your personality comes out on camera. Just need some time to show it and be fully comfortable I bet.

Thread Info