Frank's random auction purchases/ daily driver work trucks thread.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
Literally my exact reasonings behind them. Not only longevity and simplicity but they’re actually fun to drive, especially with a manual. I wish I never sold my MK7 honestly. Trans let go in my old 2500 and I traded it in on my first 6.7 lol. I would love to get another one, but they’re holding strong price wise.

Reactions: Jon01

Jon01

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 8, 2012
The manuals are HARD to find. I looked for a new leftover with one before I bought my Passat back in 2017 but couldn't find one with any of the options I wanted.
I have a DSG, I really don't mind it and Malone says they hold power up to Stage 2 without a trans tune.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
The manuals are HARD to find. I looked for a new leftover with one before I bought my Passat back in 2017 but couldn't find one with any of the options I wanted.
I have a DSG, I really don't mind it and Malone says they hold power up to Stage 2 without a trans tune.

MK7 TDI’s are hard to find as it is. I believe there were 122 nationwide? 27 were manuals. Closest one was 580 miles away.

If the lockdowns happen again like they’re saying my auctions are going to shut down again. I figure something that can make it 400 miles to my place up north on 8-10 gallons of fuel will be nice when I’ll have nothing to do. I’ll probably just bounce back and fourth between IL and Wis a few days at a time now that I’ve got internet. I’ll just tow one of the trucks up there next time I go and leave it for the winter.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
If that chevy 1500 was 4x4, I'd be all over it.

That truck drives so fucking nice. It has 321,000 miles on it. I took it up to the fleet store in Wisconsin to grab animal bedding and some all stock feed and skate the taxes... I was doing 75-80 the entire drive at 1800 rpm. No pulling, not a clunk or rattle...

After my fees I’m in the truck around $3,000. I knew I was paying a lot for it but the topper was that new. I’ll probably just keep it around for a while. If it was a 4x4 I’d take it up north and leave it.

EB0F1B53-05E5-47B1-B38B-19F554DB95EE.jpeg

F6A2D507-D9A0-48E7-B826-1FEE7C9362F4.jpeg

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
i should get ballsier with my auction bidding. :rofl:

although with minion and life now i barely have time to just keep my shit straight. :rofl:

Where do you bid lol? My biggest wins are what everyone calls gambles. I call them educated guesses.

I paid $1,600 for that F-450, was in it about $2,500 with parts and a detail and it sold for $7,500. If I could do two of those a month I’d be set lol

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Where do you bid lol? My biggest wins are what everyone calls gambles. I call them educated guesses.

I paid $1,600 for that F-450, was in it about $2,500 with parts and a detail and it sold for $7,500. If I could do two of those a month I’d be set lol

online shit like small auctioneer houses

i haven't really tried though.

I dicked around with bidding on a scissor lift for work that had i been paying attention id have won.

then there was an LLY duramax somewhere in wisco at one that i was $50 off on my "hahaha there's no way it will sell for this cheap" bid

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
i think 1quick 1quick had one unless it's already been mentioned which is likely
Mine is the eco model little gaser turbo manual, we have averaged 44mpg on a 2000 mile round trip with it also though

Small displacement DI turbo gasoline engines are a strong competitor for diesels now a days.

Yours is a first gen Cruze right Brett? I remember you posting about it before. Those are intriguing because they can be had with a 6-speed.

Im like #1 diesel nuthugger but for something I’m going to drive coming into winter I kinda like the idea of it not taking 25 minutes to get to operating temperature lol. Gen1 Cruze diesels were only offered with autos as well, kinda a bummer but also kinda meh. My ex had one, I wouldn’t consider it a zippy enough car for me to miss a 6-speed, plus they’re comfy enough you can gangster lean it and put the heated seat on high and just relax.

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
Small displacement DI turbo gasoline engines are a strong competitor for diesels now a days.

Yours is a first gen Cruze right Brett? I remember you posting about it before. Those are intriguing because they can be had with a 6-speed.

Im like #1 diesel nuthugger but for something I’m going to drive coming into winter I kinda like the idea of it not taking 25 minutes to get to operating temperature lol. Gen1 Cruze diesels were only offered with autos as well, kinda a bummer but also kinda meh. My ex had one, I wouldn’t consider it a zippy enough car for me to miss a 6-speed, plus they’re comfy enough you can gangster lean it and put the heated seat on high and just relax.
Yeah mine is a 2012 eco, 6 speed 1.4 gaser,
Great mpg motor had lots of issues under warranty, I’ve honestly almost started negotiating a diesel 6 speed cruise because of this thread lol tomorrow I may call on one I found in Ohio because my wife deserves the finest American garbage cars lol

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
Yeah mine is a 2012 eco, 6 speed 1.4 gaser,
Great mpg motor had lots of issues under warranty, I’ve honestly almost started negotiating a diesel 6 speed cruise because of this thread lol tomorrow I may call on one I found in Ohio because my wife deserves the finest American garbage cars lol

Yeah it seemed like they had their fair share of problems in the early cars.

The M6 trans is cool in the newer ones, but FWIW the 9-speed auto did better for fuel economy. A C&D editor took one out and did 55 on the highway for a 160 mile loop. Hand calculated 70 mpg.....

• Wow

muskie

TCG Elite Member
May 26, 2011
Palatine
Timing belt is “strict“ 100k job on the 2014-15 cars... I’m finding ones on marketplace in the 120-130k range and lowballing them if it hasn’t been done lol. Lets see if it works out...

Man that makes me happy to hear. My ex-fiance is probably about at that 100k mile mark. I hope that bitch pops lol. She ready had some turbo issue just out of warranty shortly after we broke up.

Good cars but definitely seem to have a countdown clock on them. Absolutely no issues on hers until around 85k. Then shit seemed to hit the fan.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
I'd trust an oddball GM diesel economy car about as far as I'd trust Joe Biden with my 3 year old niece.
Cool cars and the mileage seems outstanding but the VW's just seem much more robust and well engineered.

Oh I agree. I’m going to go check out the original TDI I was posting about tomorrow. I found some good info on how to “help” those transmissions stay alive.

Thread Info