• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Fox Body Coyote Swap. Anyone in here done one?

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
So I'm starting down the coyote swap rabbit hole and am curious if anyone else here has done one so I have more brains to pick on the subject.

Right now my biggest issue is getting a good motor to start with. All of the places that pull the Mustang motors sell them with the transmission and all kinds of other shit that would be completely useless to me. So you end up with a $8,000 pallet of parts that I need just the engine from. Then you try to sell the remaining shit and its all useless stock junk that you cant get $1 for.

So in my research it appears the coyote in the F150 and the Mustang are very similar except for a few things. I can find used F150 motors all day long on eBay so that's a bonus.

So my current thought process is as follows:

Generation 2 (2015-2017) F150 motor
Stage 2 Camshafts from Comp Cams (will turn the firing order back to a Mustang order so I can use a Control Pack)
2018+ Mustang Intake
Mustang Timing cover
Power By The Hour Speed Drive setup for front accessories

Going this route it looks like I would save thousands of dollars on the engine setup based on having to buy one as a "pallet" from all those places, and the only difference would be a half a point of compression lower because it was from the F150. The upside is I would have cams in the motor as well, which I wouldn't have bought if I went with the Mustang donor engine.

The end goal is a Generation 2 coyote with a T56 Magnum behind it.

Reactions: greasy

BOTTLEFED

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Mar 7, 2015
The "pallet" setups are good if your gutting a whole car and need everything, but thats it.

I would definitely go for a gen2 or gen3 motor,might be better to just get a "mustang motor" vs the truck motor because the price of cams will probably put you at the same cost as a motor and you would be down compression, not a huge deal. Having cams in these motors isn't really necessary unless your going for a "max effort" setup.

If you have any questions as far as install stuff i have a ton of information on it, and i can save you alot of headaches from what i experienced thru my build.

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
The "pallet" setups are good if your gutting a whole car and need everything, but thats it.

I would definitely go for a gen2 or gen3 motor,might be better to just get a "mustang motor" vs the truck motor because the price of cams will probably put you at the same cost as a motor and you would be down compression, not a huge deal. Having cams in these motors isn't really necessary unless your going for a "max effort" setup.

If you have any questions as far as install stuff i have a ton of information on it, and i can save you alot of headaches from what i experienced thru my build.

The problem is finding a Mustang "motor only" any place. I have been looking for awhile and it honestly is a pain in the ass because everyone wants to sell the "pallet" style because they know they can charge 8k for it when they would only sell a motor for 3-4k and the remaining shit for 1k. They're making more money going this route right now. I've called and messaged a few of the places that are big in this area (mars, parts farm, midway mustang) and they all said they're only selling as complete setups right now.

I could go with just Mustang intake cams on the F150 and be okay as well which would be cheaper than the ones from Comp, but either way, the math I'm doing gets me cheaper with a F150 starting point as it sits right now.

Did you use a control pack for your setup or did you use a factory computer with PATS and all that turned off?

BOTTLEFED

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Mar 7, 2015
The problem is finding a Mustang "motor only" any place. I have been looking for awhile and it honestly is a pain in the ass because everyone wants to sell the "pallet" style because they know they can charge 8k for it when they would only sell a motor for 3-4k and the remaining shit for 1k. They're making more money going this route right now. I've called and messaged a few of the places that are big in this area (mars, parts farm, midway mustang) and they all said they're only selling as complete setups right now.

I could go with just Mustang intake cams on the F150 and be okay as well which would be cheaper than the ones from Comp, but either way, the math I'm doing gets me cheaper with a F150 starting point as it sits right now.

Did you use a control pack for your setup or did you use a factory computer with PATS and all that turned off?
Check global junkyard in Bartlett they have them there,also elgin super.

And i used the ford racing control pack,and left my stock computer also to control all of the other functions in the car,gauges and such.

Couple of tips, if you have access to a lift get the motor on the k member and lower the car onto it,this will save you a ton of screwing around.

Get the coyote swap oil pan, the stock pan hits in a few spots,it also adds another 1qt capacity to pan.

If you use bbk headers,the swap oil pan the pan will need to be modified on one corner,supposedly moroso has addressed this but i cannot confirm.

Probably will need k member spacers to keep it under stock hood

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
Check global junkyard in Bartlett they have them there,also elgin super.

And i used the ford racing control pack,and left my stock computer also to control all of the other functions in the car,gauges and such.

Couple of tips, if you have access to a lift get the motor on the k member and lower the car onto it,this will save you a ton of screwing around.

Get the coyote swap oil pan, the stock pan hits in a few spots,it also adds another 1qt capacity to pan.

If you use bbk headers,the swap oil pan the pan will need to be modified on one corner,supposedly moroso has addressed this but i cannot confirm.

Probably will need k member spacers to keep it under stock hood

The plan is to use MM's revised K-Member which is supposed to help with the oil pan issue, and I got BBK headers already as part of a trade for my current parts I'm dumping so I would definitely need to look into that with the swap oil pans.

I planned on using MM 1/2" k-member spacers as well, do you think Ill need to go larger than that? One of my biggest reasons for wanting to go coyote is so I could retain the stock hood on the car hopefully.

You think they have Mustang based motors at those two yards? I'll take a look and see. Last time I did inventory searches around here nothing came up.

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
Elgin super does have one, but man it looks like it had its shit pushed in and they want $5100 for it....
1588948896226.png

I can get F150 motors with less miles for more than half that from what I'm seeing....

Going to do some more digging. :rofl:

BOTTLEFED

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Mar 7, 2015
The plan is to use MM's revised K-Member which is supposed to help with the oil pan issue, and I got BBK headers already as part of a trade for my current parts I'm dumping so I would definitely need to look into that with the swap oil pans.

I planned on using MM 1/2" k-member spacers as well, do you think Ill need to go larger than that? One of my biggest reasons for wanting to go coyote is so I could retain the stock hood on the car hopefully.

You think they have Mustang based motors at those two yards? I'll take a look and see. Last time I did inventory searches around here nothing came up.
If the mm k member addresses it where you can use the stock pan the bbk headers will fit fine,i would assume they address the issue by raising the motor slightly because it hits on the steering rack.

As far as spacers you might be ok with the 18 intake, my intake sits up kinda high which created my issue, also the supercharger where it sat.its where the throttle body location is, makes it really tight.

And i would call those junkyards their websites are not accurate with parts inventory, i was able to get a mustang motor from global for a friend.

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
If the mm k member addresses it where you can use the stock pan the bbk headers will fit fine,i would assume they address the issue by raising the motor slightly because it hits on the steering rack.

As far as spacers you might be ok with the 18 intake, my intake sits up kinda high which created my issue, also the supercharger where it sat.its where the throttle body location is, makes it really tight.

And i would call those junkyards their websites are not accurate with parts inventory, i was able to get a mustang motor from global for a friend.

What did it run you if you dont mind my asking?

I messaged both places just now to double check, but $5k plus is a ton when I see F150 versions for half that.

Realistically all I would need to do is replace the timing cover, and the intake camshafts and its the same as the Mustang version isnt it?

Well except for a half point lower compression.

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
Follow along to see if my math is right at least. :bowrofl:

Gen 2 F-150 Engine $2500
Gen 2 Intake only camshafts $900
Timing cover $200

So for $3,600 I would have the same as a Mustang motor just short the half point of compression.

If I could find a lower mileage Gen2 Mustang GT motor for 4k I'd do it for sure, but $5,000+ for them is just too much isn't it? :dunno:

I'm trying to find the Ford part number for the intake cams as well, the $900 might be high on the L&M versions.

BOTTLEFED

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Mar 7, 2015
What did it run you if you dont mind my asking?

I messaged both places just now to double check, but $5k plus is a ton when I see F150 versions for half that.

Realistically all I would need to do is replace the timing cover, and the intake camshafts and its the same as the Mustang version isnt it?

Well except for a half point lower compression.
Iirc it was 3800, and 5k for used motor isn't a deal you can get a brand new longblock for that.

I believe pbh makes a kit that contains the correct timing cover.like you stated the f150 timing cover is different.

And the gen 2 is down .5 on compression, im not sure about the gen 3

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
Hell for $400 I can leave the cams alone and just run it as an F150 motor with this harness on the regular control pack from PBH....

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
Iirc it was 3800, and 5k for used motor isn't a deal you can get a brand new longblock for that.

I believe pbh makes a kit that contains the correct timing cover.like you stated the f150 timing cover is different.

And the gen 2 is down .5 on compression, im not sure about the gen 3

Okay, I messaged them and if they have one for $3800 Ill be on it like white on rice.

Gen 3 both the Mustang and F150 are 12:1 compression.

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
Good to know on the gen 3 motor.

Any plans on a power adder or just gonna keep it n/a?

Honestly not positive on it yet. Id be happy with around 475 RWHP in the car, and think that should be attainable NA so I'd likely stay that route.

Did you do any of the billet chain guides and all that stuff in yours? I should just look for the build thread. did you make on on here?

I'd definitely be doing billet crank gear and oil pump gears, so thats another part of why the F150 version doesnt seem like a huge deal, changing the timing cover will be easy since it's all coming apart anyway.

BOTTLEFED

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Mar 7, 2015
Honestly not positive on it yet. Id be happy with around 475 RWHP in the car, and think that should be attainable NA so I'd likely stay that route.

Did you do any of the billet chain guides and all that stuff in yours? I should just look for the build thread. did you make on on here?

I'd definitely be doing billet crank gear and oil pump gears, so thats another part of why the F150 version doesnt seem like a huge deal, changing the timing cover will be easy since it's all coming apart anyway.
Easily attainable for sure,especially thru a stick.
Side note my t56 magnum setup will be for sale in near future lol

Unfortunately i did not do the guides dumb move on my part cause i did everything else, crank sprocket, oil pump, head studs etc.

Theres a build thread on here i haven't updated in a while which Mook Mook loves [emoji16]

• Wow
Reactions: FESTER665 and Mook

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
Easily attainable for sure,especially thru a stick.
Side note my t56 magnum setup will be for sale in near future lol

Unfortunately i did not do the guides dumb move on my part cause i did everything else, crank sprocket, oil pump, head studs etc.

Theres a build thread on here i haven't updated in a while which Mook Mook loves [emoji16]

Let me know how near future, how much use it has had, and what kind of price for a fellow TCG'er for sure please.

Are you going to an auto?

Found your build thread.... ?

BOTTLEFED

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Mar 7, 2015
Let me know how near future, how much use it has had, and what kind of price for a fellow TCG'er for sure please.

Are you going to an auto?

Found your build thread.... [emoji106]
Everything is dependent on my current work situation with all this crap going on so a "set date" is still up in the air.

Its the full t56 magnum setup,quicktime bellhousing,twin disk rxt, ect only about 1k miles on it, no track passes yet, but definitely street pulls lol

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info