3800 found a trans

• Thread starter imported_PaceCarBoozer
  • Start date
I

imported_PaceCarBoozer

OK, I found a GT trans with 67K on it for $400, and it's local, so no shipping. However, this is out of a '98 Monte Carlo, so my question is.....is it the same trans? For example, same gearing, ect. ect. Were there any differences that would inhibit me from installing this with out modifications. I want to buy it tomorrow or thur. so I need to be sure.

I'm gonna be swapping in my diff. and getting a GT Flexplate to mount to the motor. Anything else I need to do to make this work in a GTP?

Second question: Can the motor AND trans be lifted out of the engine bay without being separated. I don't want to take out the subframe.

TIA
CJ

TommyGloves

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 23, 2007
CHICAGO
Real Name
Tom Glover
OK, I found a GT trans with 67K on it for $400, and it's local, so no shipping. However, this is out of a '98 Monte Carlo, so my question is.....is it the same trans? For example, same gearing, ect. ect. Were there any differences that would inhibit me from installing this with out modifications. I want to buy it tomorrow or thur. so I need to be sure.

I'm gonna be swapping in my diff. and getting a GT Flexplate to mount to the motor. Anything else I need to do to make this work in a GTP?

Second question: Can the motor AND trans be lifted out of the engine bay without being separated. I don't want to take out the subframe.

TIA
CJ
[/b]

CJ - I have a trans from my 99 GTP that a friend of mine is storing. The trans works except I think the torque converter is hosed. It's got 80K total but was rebuilt under my GMPP warranty when it had 60K or so.

It's out in DeKalb. I'll sell it to you for $400. I was going to use this as my rebuild core for ZZP, but since Mike K is doing transmissions locally, I could just drive my GTP there. :)

If your interested give me a call. (You should have my # in a PM.)

Tom

I

imported_PaceCarBoozer

<div class='quotemain'>

TIA
CJ
[/b]

CJ - I have a trans from my 99 GTP that a friend of mine is storing. The trans works except I think the torque converter is hosed. It's got 80K total but was rebuilt under my GMPP warranty when it had 60K or so.

It's out in DeKalb. I'll sell it to you for $400. I was going to use this as my rebuild core for ZZP, but since Mike K is doing transmissions locally, I could just drive my GTP there. :)

If your interested give me a call. (You should have my # in a PM.)

Tom
[/b][/quote]

Thanks for the offer Tom, but I'm going with a GT trans to take advantage of the gearing, and higher stall that comes with it. I will be making it out to your house to pick up that router table and hopefully will have the cash to get the brake system. I'm actually considering going the same route you did with the F-body brake upgrade. Shoot me a PM with what will be a good time for you. I know you want to get that stuff out of your garage.
CJ

I

imported_PaceCarBoozer

like if its a GT or GTP?
[/b]

well, yea, that. More so, something that would tell me that it has the same specs as the GT trans I'm looking for, since it's out of a monte. Did they both have the same 3.29 gears? Same place for the trans line hook ups? Also, sensors that are compatible. I would assume that they would be the same for the same engine, but different cars can be a little different in other ways. I'm just making sure I'm getting something that will work for me.
Thanks
CJ

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
<div class='quotemain'>
like if its a GT or GTP?
[/b]

well, yea, that. More so, something that would tell me that it has the same specs as the GT trans I'm looking for, since it's out of a monte. Did they both have the same 3.29 gears? Same place for the trans line hook ups? Also, sensors that are compatible. I would assume that they would be the same for the same engine, but different cars can be a little different in other ways. I'm just making sure I'm getting something that will work for me.
Thanks
CJ [/b][/quote]

L36 monte should have the 3.29 4t65e, same case so yeah same hookups even of not you will be able to tell, just look at yours before you go look at the trans

yes the engine and trans will come through the top

i will say this...since i havent heard of anyone actually checking the possible differences between the flexplate service balance, you may want to drill your L67 plate, it has two less "windows" than the L36 so i wouldnt think it's as strong...

i have both flexplates in my possesion and i have been planning to check and compare...for my own peace of mind at the least, i mean the .1 inch difference in the rod and piston sizing HAS to affect the engines service balance since it's an externally balanced engine...GM would more than likely chosen the flexplate as the cheapest part to maufacture with two different weightings, hell i would like to know about the dampners as well...

oh and since we are on my thoughts... 4t65ehd < 4t80e :lolsign:

TommyGloves

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 23, 2007
CHICAGO
Real Name
Tom Glover
Also check the electrical plug/harness located on the case just below where the TB would sit. A friend of mine installed a used trans in his car only to find out the connector was not compatible. (It think it was the whole Type A vs. Type B thing.) He ended up pulling the trans again and installed the correct version.

(BTW- I'm not an expert on the transmission subject. I just know that this happened to him. :p)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• I
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list