🔧 BUILD Ford truck 460

General Information

Poor decisions arr my stock and trade as many of yew know.

I've had it just as long as the Cressida.... used it to flat tow the wagon back from El cajon California up Route 66.

Colorado Ranch truck for the first part of its life only ever seeing shade underneath a tree.
I picked it up from the third owner in trade for a bunch of work on getting an 91 f150 roadworthy to take over hauling garbage to the dump.

I've been collecting crap for this thing forever since before I left California where I snagged all of the Driveline and suspension from a 79 F350 that I really wish I had been able to tow back here with me.....
That gave me one ton disc brake front ttb suspension... with fresh kingpins as well as a 3.55 Dana 60 for the rear with 1 ton Springs all around to replace the 3.73 Dana 60 in it.

Some years ago I scored a pull out from an '89 f super duty, a 460efi with the oil to air cooler and a ZF5 speed trans.

I have the harness but no computer but I figure I'll just run it on a 3800 PCM so that I can make plenty of power.

Anyways on to the photographic story....beginning with where its been staining the driveway rust red....

20221029_155829.jpg

I did have it running and I got it to move a couple of feet before it stalled and would not start without fuel being sprayed in the carb.
Either the brand new old fuel pump is dead or the carb is plugged.
Either way the 390 Fe is going to the side of the road if no one wants it.

20221030_165651.jpg

20221029_201816.jpg

It's about time I got around to this thing.

With a tailwind I was able to get 8 miles per gallon with the 2bbl 390fe, except for when I was coming down the mountain on Highway 8 out of California where I managed to get 20 miles per gallon cuz I left the engine off for a really long time.

With the overdrive gear and the taller rear end I know I should be able to do 12 to 16 like most 88-95 F-superduty's can do....

One thing I learned while I was in California is that the 460 guys would kill power to the four injectors on the bank without the oxygen sensor when they were on the highway for better fuel economy.... at which point you're driving on a 3.8 L 4 cylinder lol

At that point I think I should be able to at least eke out 18 miles per gallon.... with a Tailwind

sktchy

⚠️🫠
TCG Premium
Jul 27, 2021
Looks pretty good, I'd be half inclined to pop the caps on the rusty journals and be sure the bearings weren't riding on spot rust but I don't see any reason to have one's undies in a bunch.

I'd probably also shine a light in the spark plug holes and just be sure there's nothing crazy on the cylinder walls.
Ebay borescope bruh

sktchy

⚠️🫠
TCG Premium
Jul 27, 2021
When I was younger the big thing here was putting pivot tires, basically small tractor tires, on the old highboys and feeding the 460s in them propane and taking them mud bogging. It was actually pretty cool but at that age I didn't know much better than to think they were monster trucks.

• Haha
Reactions: Yaj Yak

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
When I was younger the big thing here was putting pivot tires, basically small tractor tires, on the old highboys and feeding the 460s in them propane and taking them mud bogging. It was actually pretty cool but at that age I didn't know much better than to think they were monster trucks.
I had a friend in college that was into mud bog racing. In the middle of winter they had races in one of the buildings at the fairgrounds at Kearney, I think. That was a blast.

Reactions: sktchy

sktchy

⚠️🫠
TCG Premium
Jul 27, 2021
I had a friend in college that was into mud bog racing. In the middle of winter they had races in one of the buildings at the fairgrounds at Kearney, I think. That was a blast.
There's usually a big one northwest of here every summer and then scattered smaller ones yet. Doesn't seem like they do much at the fairgrounds but have a couple demo derbys, a few shitty concerts or try and have expos to get farmers to buy shit anymore.

Reactions: GTPpower

Thread Info