🔧 BUILD Ford truck 460

General Information

Poor decisions arr my stock and trade as many of yew know.

I've had it just as long as the Cressida.... used it to flat tow the wagon back from El cajon California up Route 66.

Colorado Ranch truck for the first part of its life only ever seeing shade underneath a tree.
I picked it up from the third owner in trade for a bunch of work on getting an 91 f150 roadworthy to take over hauling garbage to the dump.

I've been collecting crap for this thing forever since before I left California where I snagged all of the Driveline and suspension from a 79 F350 that I really wish I had been able to tow back here with me.....
That gave me one ton disc brake front ttb suspension... with fresh kingpins as well as a 3.55 Dana 60 for the rear with 1 ton Springs all around to replace the 3.73 Dana 60 in it.

Some years ago I scored a pull out from an '89 f super duty, a 460efi with the oil to air cooler and a ZF5 speed trans.

I have the harness but no computer but I figure I'll just run it on a 3800 PCM so that I can make plenty of power.

Anyways on to the photographic story....beginning with where its been staining the driveway rust red....

20221029_155829.jpg

I did have it running and I got it to move a couple of feet before it stalled and would not start without fuel being sprayed in the carb.
Either the brand new old fuel pump is dead or the carb is plugged.
Either way the 390 Fe is going to the side of the road if no one wants it.

20221030_165651.jpg

20221029_201816.jpg

It's about time I got around to this thing.

With a tailwind I was able to get 8 miles per gallon with the 2bbl 390fe, except for when I was coming down the mountain on Highway 8 out of California where I managed to get 20 miles per gallon cuz I left the engine off for a really long time.

With the overdrive gear and the taller rear end I know I should be able to do 12 to 16 like most 88-95 F-superduty's can do....

One thing I learned while I was in California is that the 460 guys would kill power to the four injectors on the bank without the oxygen sensor when they were on the highway for better fuel economy.... at which point you're driving on a 3.8 L 4 cylinder lol

At that point I think I should be able to at least eke out 18 miles per gallon.... with a Tailwind

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
Or do 35/40 hybrids although you may want more turbine than tha
I am now looking at if I can bore out the 35s T3 exhaust housings to fit the 40 turbine
Should be doable. They made a few different turbine sizes. BTW a 35/40 hybrid is as simple as bolting a 40 compressor wheel on a 35 turbo and using a 40 compressor housing.

Also worth noting that you may be better off trying to find a large 35 turbine if you insist on T3 or small 40 tubines.

Also worth noting that the difference between a standard T3 or T4 turbine housing to an HX35 or 40 is VERY minor. Some GN guys have modded stock GN turbine housings to fit a Holset before.

Don't know if that sways you one way or another. I have some Holset parts I'll probably never use if you're looking for something in particular I can go look. I think I have a 16 CM^2 small wheel 35 housing and an HX40/WH1E 17 CM^2 housing but I'd have to check.

No pairs of anything unless you want to fuck around with VGT HE351s or stocker GN Turbos.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
L&L swap kit. 150 at summit.
300$ online for factory 460 2wd perches and mount shells.

I w as s gonna weld up solid mounts....but the Cressida s solid mounts suck...

So L&L it is.

Su.mit front sump cheapo pan. I'll be waterjetting a baffle for the back of the sump....and a new plug more forward to clear the k member.

89$ pan now as good as 350$ Canton pan.

Then two 3/4npt bungs up front for the turbo oil....eventually....

I do need a front sump pickup...might toss in a pump. Might not...I'm curious about the timing chain play...this should be a 100k mile engine n trans...

20221125_220602.jpg

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
Looks pretty good, I'd be half inclined to pop the caps on the rusty journals and be sure the bearings weren't riding on spot rust but I don't see any reason to have one's undies in a bunch.

I'd probably also shine a light in the spark plug holes and just be sure there's nothing crazy on the cylinder walls.

Thread Info