Ford Racing debuts twin-turbo Mustang Cobra Jet Concept

Mook

El Presidente
Admin
Reaction score
Hnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng
Last year at SEMA, Chevrolet absolutely stole the show with its COPO Camaro Concept. Not to be upstaged by their Bowtie counterparts, the boys over at the Blue Oval have countered with the car you see here, the Mustang Cobra Jet Concept. Built by Ford Racing and based on the 2013 Mustang Cobra Jet, this one-off racer features a pair of twin turbochargers attached to a 5.0-liter V8 using the same technology as Ford's EcoBoost engines.

While the current crop of Cobra Jets are plenty fast, running eight-second quarter miles in NHRA trim, Ford Racing says that the 2.9-liter Whipple supercharger currently used requires as much as 100 horsepower to operate – horsepower that isn't being delivered to the meaty rear tires. The turbos, however, provide a much lower parasitic loss in power. Relatively small turbos – similar to the ones used on the Focus ST – were also used on the concept, ensuring that there would be as little lag as possible.

Will we see a production version of the twin-turbo Mustang Cobra Jet Concept in the future? Perhaps, especially as the next generation Mustang has long been rumored to get an EcoBoost engine.
[YOUTUBEHD]gAl3UvngjDM[/YOUTUBEHD]

Ford Racing debuts twin-turbo Mustang Cobra Jet Concept [w/video]

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Donating Member
Reaction score
5.0 ECOBOOST FUCKING :wackit: OMG

Pressure Ratio

Donating Member
Reaction score
GM shows a ghey cvt COPO and Ford displays this. BWAHAHAHA

Ford has their shit together with these concepts and production vehicles.

ilikemtb999

I eat dirt
Donating Member
Reaction score
Meh. Show me a production vehicle with a vin number and ill be impressed.

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Donating Member
Reaction score
and make sure to mention the copo camaro doesn't have a cvt trans but is a convertible :rofl: i saw cvt and wanted to clarify. both are almost equally as gay.

Jean Ralphio

beautiful, clean coal
Super Moderator
Reaction score
this might be a good thread to mention that a stock longblock, full weight BOSS with a KB blower went 202 mph at the Texas Mile.
and Lethal's "worlds fastest" ZR1 went 205-207 mph, for reference.

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
Donating Member
Reaction score
Im definitely a GM guy at heart but the blue oval really has their shit together these days. Id buy a new stang over a camaro any day of the week.

jason05gt

Reaction score
There have been rumors that a EcoBoost Coyote would power the next gen GT500. With Ford stating that the Cobra was to go after the big dogs, this is promising.

Wild White Pony

Reaction score
Whole lota of nothin in that vid, your at the track doing burn outs. Go down the track and lets see some numbers and not so much hype. Now I want one and not sure why?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom