Ford Mustang Mach E

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Calling it a Mustang is the only way they'd sell them in today's EV climate. Imagine how an Escape EV would have been received.

giphy.gif

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
I am not sure I agree with that. You can't come up with a new name and a marketing campaign to generate excitement around the vehicle?

Today's EVs are selling to people who want performance and style; the frugal EV runabout didn't work. And if you're Ford, what's more recognizable and exciting than Mustang?

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
Today's EVs are selling to people who want performance and style; the frugal EV runabout didn't work. And if you're Ford, what's more recognizable and exciting than Mustang?

It is not impossible to develop a new product centered around performance & style, companies do it all of the time without recycling a name over and over and over. Maybe that is why Ford is not doing that great for the most part, lack of creative thinking and reinventing themselves.

1614967937858.png

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
It is not impossible to develop a new product centered around performance & style, companies do it all of the time without recycling a name over and over and over. Maybe that is why Ford is not doing that great for the most part, lack of creative thinking and reinventing themselves.

View attachment 82772

Impossible, no. But also not inexpensive. Considering their situation, I don't see why they would spend all that money on marketing a new sub-brand and boosting recognition when they have such gold in-house.

Either way, the Mach-E is seeing early success. The Mach-E alone is responsible for cutting Tesla's EV share like no other EV has, and most owners aren't previous Ford owners.

• Haha
Reactions: Rent Free

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
Impossible, no. But also not inexpensive. Considering their situation, I don't see why they would spend all that money on marketing a new sub-brand and boosting recognition when they have such gold in-house.

Either way, the Mach-E is seeing early success. The Mach-E alone is responsible for cutting Tesla's EV share like no other EV has, and most owners aren't previous Ford owners.

I wouldn't say it is taking share unless Tesla vehicle owners are turning in their Teslas for the Mustang EV's. What I am reading is that the EV rebates on Tesla have now hit their 200K marker which ultimately kills the rebate offer for Tesla (sounds like it might be coming back though), but are available for this Ford therefore it makes the Mustang EV much more palatable level for consumers (people that really haven't entered into the EV market) to enter from other brands where they haven't before.

I think using the Mustang is a cheap way for Ford to make a splash, but not necessarily the right approach. It is not a decision that is a long term play and they are watering down what a Mustang is unnecessarily. Their only option isn't reusing a name from another model, but a new name. And yes while creating a new ad campaign may be expensive, it is what drives the success in product launches. Smart companies see that as an investment in their brand and the product which drives profitability in the long run.

Reactions: Rent Free

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
Nowheresville North Dakota

Teslas threatened by Lucid Motors, Lordstrom, Nikola, Nio ect.

They have been and will continue to eat big 3s lunch.

Stellantis is a covert bailout for Chrysler too if they even save the brand at all.

Jeffs FRC

TCG Elite Member
Aug 10, 2006
Lakemoor, IL
Not a big deal, just a poor business decision.
Is it though? Is anybody going to not buy a gas powered Mustang car because they named an electric SUV a Mustang as well? And on the other side, is anyone not going to buy the Mach-E because it has the name Mustang? I very strongly think no to both those questions. Bottom line is that if they make something desirable, people are going to buy it no matter wtf its called.

I personally like them, and after we are done with our minivan stage, we're pretty dead set on an EV suv. Right now, it'd be between a Tesla Y and the Mach-E for me.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
I am not sure I agree with that. You can't come up with a new name and a marketing campaign to generate excitement around the vehicle?

Woah woah, no need to throw stones here. Ford is a lot better than Dodge who simply throws a Hellcat motor in everything, even though the chassis underneath is decades old and has interiors that could have been designed by my son’s second grade art class!!!

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
Is it though? Is anybody going to not buy a gas powered Mustang car because they named an electric SUV a Mustang as well? And on the other side, is anyone not going to buy the Mach-E because it has the name Mustang? I very strongly think no to both those questions. Bottom line is that if they make something desirable, people are going to buy it no matter wtf its called.

I personally like them, and after we are done with our minivan stage, we're pretty dead set on an EV suv. Right now, it'd be between a Tesla Y and the Mach-E for me.

I think if you are putting to a new product into the market you do it with a different name. I know average Jeff schmo will purchase a Ford Mustang Mach Bullit Boss GT5EEEEEEE California Edition, but it waters down the name and honestly the brand. Why not name everything in their line up a Mustang if it is so golden? Ford needs to differentiate their own product line. That is not to say they can't come up with an electric version of the Mustang in some type of sports car form, true to the design of current model year but with a different power plant. That makes sense. But to create some shitty ass design of a SUV with styling cues from the Mustang is awful, it looks shitty. I wouldn't purchase it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info