Ford Focuses/Fiestas to be bought back by Ford.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
A settlement has been reached in the Ford dual clutch class action suit. Ford will pay up to $22K each to buy back affected vehicles.

Sounds like Ford tried their usual "What problem?" answer and it didn't work.

Lawyer, Steve Lehto, has good commentary on the issue and which cars are covered under the settlement.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
My son's Focus is a 2017 and it's a manual so he's OK. IIRC, the years are 2011-2016

What trans could be used as a replacement? Think Ford will want to sell repurchased cars cheap to people who put another trans in? Will Ford do it themselves or is it too much trouble for a big corp?

This is the DPS-6 trans, BTW.

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
It seems that this goes on a lot in some companies and I've had it happen in a company I worked for.
You tell the top execs something isn't going to work, or we need to fix this now, or else there will be consequences, yet they ignore you. If you persist with your warnings, they label you as being difficult. Then when it does eventually fail, they panic and of course you take the blame because you weren't forceful enough in your convincing.

If I recall, many Ford engineers repeatedly warned management that these transmissions had problems and were a bad idea, even before they were sold in cars.
What a colossal fuckup, which could have been avoided.

Reactions: ragingclue

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
It seems that this goes on a lot in some companies and I've had it happen in a company I worked for.
You tell the top execs something isn't going to work, or we need to fix this now, or else there will be consequences, yet they ignore you. If you persist with your warnings, they label you as being difficult. Then when it does eventually fail, they panic and of course you take the blame because you weren't forceful enough in your convincing.

If I recall, many Ford engineers repeatedly warned management that these transmissions had problems and were a bad idea, even before they were sold in cars.
What a colossal fuckup, which could have been avoided.

It's a risk analysis and they failed it. They try to figure out what it costs to get ahead of the curve and fix it upfront vs. a future potential lawsuit and recall/repurchase/etc and then place percentages of certainty on each scenario coming true and then take the lesser of two evils.

Weren't these also having head gasket issues too Thirdgen89GTA Thirdgen89GTA ??

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
It's a risk analysis and they failed it. They try to figure out what it costs to get ahead of the curve and fix it upfront vs. a future potential lawsuit and recall/repurchase/etc and then place percentages of certainty on each scenario coming true and then take the lesser of two evils.

Weren't these also having head gasket issues too Thirdgen89GTA Thirdgen89GTA ??
I heard some stuff about either the 1.6L Turbo, or the 2.0L T, but never followed up. So don't know what the cause, spread, or fix was for those.

As for Risk Analysis, my company is failing that right now. Making a stupid ass decision to run ancient unsupported software with duct tape & bandaids.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info