Ford Focus RS vs Honda Civic Type-r vs Volkswagen Golf R vs Subaru WRX STI Type-RA

Knowklew

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 5, 2014
Ford Focus RS vs Honda Civic Type-r vs Volkswagen Golf R vs Subaru WRX STI Type-RA <-----Link

Read the article

4th Place:
2018 Subaru WRX STI Type RA
Rough and tumble Type RA promises much but doesn’t deliver the goods
3rd Place:
2018 Volkswagen Golf R
Soft and heavy at the track but an exceptional long-haul cruiser

2nd Place:
2018 Ford Focus RS
Ford finally delivers the Focus RS we’ve always wanted … just in time for it to go out of production

1st Place:
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Honda’s twist on the sport compact creates the new world-standard hot hatch

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
This is Motor Trend . I'm sure somebody got a nice kick back or all inclusive vacation to write a winning article for Honda while they sit underneath an umbrella sipping margaritas.

Honda was the quickest in a performance test, it's a no brainer why it won. Randy Pobst's review are the arguably the best in the industry. His times really show what the cars are capable of.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
I tracked my friend's Golf R and it understeered pretty bad, pretty much like a turbo FWD car would feel, very "safe" suspension setup. Brakes are great though, just some street/track pads and it had plenty of braking power. Most people are going to drag race them anyways, so WGAF.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
17's may not be able to fit over their respective Brembos or other assorted hi-po calipers

i guess that does make sense, still surprised to see such monster wheels though. oem civic has some serious looking 6 pot fronts

hondacivictyper07-jpg.63719

nonetheless, tirerack has 18s as fitting it, which i'd assume fit on all these cars. tires were all 235/245 on the test. looks like the oem wheels are 28 lbs.

hop over to tire rack and you can get 18x9 weighing 19-21 lbs... plus even stickier tires, that are also lighter... i wouldn't be surprised if that drops 2 seconds

Dan00Hawk

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 10, 2011
Plainfield
I know Method or Fifteen 52 have a 18” wheel option for the RS now. If I owned either the RS or Type R that’d be my first change.

There are 18" Konig Flow Formed wheels that fit the RS that weigh 17-18 lbs. I have a set on my ST. Moving from a 25ish lb wheel to an 18 lb wheel is a nice difference. But you also have to watch tire weights. Those can range from 20 lbs to 25 lbs, and since the rotating mass is further from center, the weight of the tire is even more influential than the wheel.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
There are 18" Konig Flow Formed wheels that fit the RS that weigh 17-18 lbs. I have a set on my ST. Moving from a 25ish lb wheel to an 18 lb wheel is a nice difference. But you also have to watch tire weights. Those can range from 20 lbs to 25 lbs, and since the rotating mass is further from center, the weight of the tire is even more influential than the wheel.

i looked at that too - the 235 conti sport6 20" on it vs. the 235 dz2* spec. the latter is a heavier tire. nonetheless, the mass isn't as far out, and the compound is much sticky ickier.

some track bros said swapping to 18s was pretty common on these. still surprised they don't come with them to lower the price and grab another second and make the car even more of a fighter.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info