Ford F-150 Raptor Could Get Mustang Supercharged V-8 or 7.3 L

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
Ford F-150 Raptor Will Get A V8: Exclusive

https://www.thedrive.com/news/28490...ged-v-8-or-7-3-liter-super-duty-engine-report

The current Ford F-150 Raptor is a beast with its high-output 3.5-liter EcoBoost V6 engine making an impressive 450 horsepower and 510 pound-feet of torque. The high-output EcoBoost engine certainly isn’t lacking on the performance front, but some Raptor customers miss the V8 character, along with the associated engine and exhaust notes delivered by first-generation F-150 Raptor truck. Luckily, they won’t have to miss it for much longer.

Sources familiar with Ford product plans speaking to Ford Authority on the basis of anonymity said that the Ford F-150 Raptor is currently testing with an eight-cylinder engine for an upcoming ultra-high-performance version of the truck. Which eight-cylinder engine such a model will receive is unknown, but the two front-runners are the supercharged 5.2L Voodoo V8 from the Mustang Shelby GT500 as well as the 7.3L V8 Godzilla that will soon become available in the 2020 Ford Super Duty. Let’s dig into the juicy details.

Back in March, we reported on a rumor that the Ford F-150 Raptor was going to get the supercharged 5.2L V8 from the 2020 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500. That engine is expected to make somewhere north of 700 horsepower, though Ford has yet to release the official figures.

By comparison, very little is currently known about the 7.3-liter V8 engine besides its code-name, Godzilla, and the fact that it utilizes an OHV (OverHead Valve) layout. The only concrete info that Ford has released about the new V8 for the F-Series Super Duty is that it will be “the most powerful [gasoline] V8 in its class.”

Our sources gave no details on specifications for the engine if it were to land in the F-150 Raptor, but said that it would be safe to assume that the massive eight-banger would offer more power and torque than the High-Output 3.5L EcoBoost V6. In other words, a Ford F-150 Raptor with the 7.3-liter Godzilla V8 engine would make at least the 450 horsepower and 510 pound-feet of torque currently produced by the 3.5L EcoBoost HO in the F-150 Raptor.

It’s worth noting that the 7.3-liter V8 can fit under the hood of the Mustang, but the motor is meant for truck duty, rather than sports cars… though one could argue that the Ford F-150 Raptor splits the gap between sports car and a pickup truck.

In any event, Ford is definitely testing the F-150 Raptor with a V8 engine. Whether it’s the supercharged 5.2L Voodoo or the atmospheric 7.3L Godzilla is currently unknown.

Whatever V8 ends up under the hood of the Raptor, it will be offered alongside the HO 3.5L EcoBoost, rather than replacing it outright, thereby creating an ultra-high-performance version of the Raptor. We like the sound of that, don’t you?

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
The 3.5 ecoturd has a plethora of phaser issues and “unknown ticking” problems where Ford has been replacing whole engines and telling customers nothing.

Can’t wait for that motor to be fucking gone and gennies to drop like rocks in price as everyone swarms to the 7.3.

Y’all should see the divide on FRF over this. It’s hilarious.

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
The 3.5 ecoturd has a plethora of phaser issues and “unknown ticking” problems where Ford has been replacing whole engines and telling customers nothing.

Can’t wait for that motor to be fucking gone and gennies to drop like rocks in price as everyone swarms to the 7.3.

Y’all should see the divide on FRF over this. It’s hilarious.

Didn't someone from Ford say that the 7x engine would fit in an F150, but it would never happen?

If the rumor of a V8 Raptor is true, I'm guessing some variation of a Coyote/Voodoo V8 with a supercharger. Hell maybe they'll just take a page from Dodge's book with the Hellcat, and throw the GT500 motor in the Raptor with full power. But I'm sure Ford will find some way to fuck with us...

I can't help but think that Ford could try to bore and stroke the existing 3.5 to a ~4.0, throw the turbos from the GT at it, and call it a day. They could stick to their ECOBOOST ALL THE THINGS mantra, and I'd imagine they could make some serious power with the extra displacement. We know they can get 600+ out of the 3.5 already in the GT.

Spectragod

Addict
Oct 13, 2010
Dayton Ohio
ecoturd raptter prices gon be dropping like current vette's are before mid engine debut.

Real doubtful, truck has a following, people will buy the v6 because they want a raptor and can’t swing for the v8 s/c model.

Vette people are a whole different breed.

I’ll hang onto my ecoturd raptor for a while. And honestly, if you don’t buy a stripper 800a, it’s a pretty damn nice truck.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Real doubtful, truck has a following, people will buy the v6 because they want a raptor and can’t swing for the v8 s/c model.

Vette people are a whole different breed.

I’ll hang onto my ecoturd raptor for a while. And honestly, if you don’t buy a stripper 800a, it’s a pretty damn nice truck.

[MENTION=2616]Chester Copperpot[/MENTION]

gotem

i think part of the vette price drops are due to dealers wanting more allocations for the c8. the more c7's you sell now, the more c8's chevy will let you buy later.

well... and it's cuz they aren't selling.

this is from february.

https://www.corvetteblogger.com/2019/02/06/january-2019-corvette-sales-drop-to-lowest-in-c7-era/

Depending on the report (we’ve seen two with slightly different totals), sales of the Chevrolet Corvette hit rock bottom in January 2019 with a total of 800 sold during the month. That number represents a 20% decline in sales from January 2018 and appears to continue the slide that started after last year’s 2nd quarter report.

We haven’t seen sales totals under 1,000/month since the end of the C6 era and many of those figures came after the announcement of the C7 on 1.13.13.

However, January is notorious for reduced sales over the years as our historical data below shows. This January was particularly brutal with an extended deep freeze in many parts of the country and a government shutdown that may have kept potential buyers away until it was resolved.

Corvette owners continue to wait for any news of the forthcoming C8 mid-engine Corvette that is expected to be coming this year as a 2020 model. Many Corvette enthusiasts we talk to are choosing to hold on to their current C7 Vettes while waiting to learn more about the C8 Corvette which has yet to be officially acknowledged.

At the end of January, the Corvette Team offered up a new special edition package tailored to fans of Grand Sports and racing stripes. It’s a decent package and the math shows there are some savings to be had vs choosing each option a la carte. But we doubt the 2019 Drivers Series Grand Sports will drive a large number of buyers to dealers.

The good news for those of you who are shopping for a new 2019 Corvette is that we are now in a buyer’s market with many of the volume dealers offering substantial discounts and special financing deals.

Our official Corvette sales chartt will next be updated in April 2019 with the release of the official 1st Quarter Corvette sales numbers.

But I think you might just be storing the pot here. I think the option would be cool .many will think it's dated cuz it's a V8 and yadda yadda . I like my V8 in Gen 1 poverty raptor

whatup early morning new guy :wavey:

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
But I think you might just be storing the pot here. I think the option would be cool .many will think it's dated cuz it's a V8 and yadda yadda . I like my V8 in Gen 1 poverty raptor

Worst thing we have to deal with is somehow changing 8 spark plugs.

Sync 3 and audio upgrade in a Gen1 and the truck is bullet proof for eternity.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info