đź“° Auto News Ford Bronco Raptor Revealed | At least 400hp, 3.0 Ecoboost powered

Morepower4me

Perma Newb
May 22, 2014
Elgin
I built this on Ford's site & came out at $79k MSRP (I know, wouldn't that be nice if you could get it for MSRP)
A similar spec Rubicon 392 is about the same.

I have a massive bias in that I have a 392, but other than not wanting it to be a Jeep (and possibly interior design) - I can't find a reason this is better.

Maybe there is a Raptor R coming?

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I built this on Ford's site & came out at $79k MSRP (I know, wouldn't that be nice if you could get it for MSRP)
A similar spec Rubicon 392 is about the same.

I have a massive bias in that I have a 392, but other than not wanting it to be a Jeep (and possibly interior design) - I can't find a reason this is better.

Maybe there is a Raptor R coming?

bronco raptor is bigger outside and inside, right?

i bet the Braptor rides better as well... and i doubt the 392 jeep could be driven offroad like a side by side, like the braptor can (high speed bumpity humpity mayhem)

i think the Braptor has a lot more "wow" factor as well. it's fucking maasssive in person.

1655122298657.png

1655122229720.png

• Wow
Reactions: FirstWorldProblems

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
From what I have read and seen in comparison videos for the non-Raptor Bronco, it comes down to the GOAT modes being excellent for even beginners to go off-roading, being able to disconnect the front sway bar under load, and the on-road driving is better than the Jeep. Solid axle vs independent front suspension. But the solid axle offers more suspension travel. So it has an advantage there. And if desert running Baja is your kind of thing, the Raptor probably is going to be better suited for that as well. I think first-time buyers of an off-road vehicle may like the Bronco because of the on-road driving. As most people are not a fan of the Jeep front end causing wandering. I have not driven a JL. But driving stock and lifted TL & JK, I can say that was my biggest reason not to buy one. I was seriously considering a Gladiator.

I think more than the suspension, the v8 vs Ecoboost may be more of a consideration than the suspension or capability of either on stock. Especially since FOrd has had several different issues with the Ecoboost family over the years. The Bronco included.

I think it is great that there are more options out there besides the Jeep. And many options for different applications and uses inside each model. Now if we could only get cheaper options. lol I'd love to see the US get the Suzuki Jimny. As awesome as the 392 & Raptor might be, it's outside the budget for most people. And imagine taking it off-road and banging it up. eek!

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn

i bet the Braptor rides better as well... and i doubt the 392 jeep could be driven offroad like a side by side, like the braptor can (high speed bumpity humpity mayhem)

i think the Braptor has a lot more "wow" factor as well. it's fucking maasssive in person.

Adding 9.8" to the track is pretty major. Going from 3" narrower than the 392 to 6.7" wider. The Ford engineers said the added track width is a big help with stability in the higher-speed desert running. They gave it basically the same width as the F150 Raptor. Which has had several years of development for engineers to use when working on the Bronco Raptor.

Reactions: Yaj Yak

Morepower4me

Perma Newb
May 22, 2014
Elgin

View attachment 122532

View attachment 122531

Wow that is substantially wider & taller - agreed.

And yeah, I'd bet with the IFS it does the desert style stuff a bit better.

Reactions: Yaj Yak

Morepower4me

Perma Newb
May 22, 2014
Elgin
... As most people are not a fan of the Jeep front end causing wandering. I have not driven a JL. But driving stock and lifted TL & JK, I can say that was my biggest reason not to buy one. I was seriously considering a Gladiator...
Yeah this is still a thing for sure. Oddly some JL's seem to have it & others dont, so its hard to track/fix.

FWIW my 392 had it on the stock 33's (to the point where I didn't want to drive it on Highways over 75mph - was white knuckle) and it magically cured itself with the 37's - like a night and day difference. Same *everything* except tire size - but its even the same tire (K02's)
No idea... but fixed is fixed...

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Besides death-wobble, they still wander around a lot. The Jeep definitely has an off-road 4x4 feel to it when you drive it. You kind of expect it with them. Whereas the Bronco seems to handle more like an SUV on road than a Jeep. But I would bet the 37" tires take away from that with the extra sidewall they have.

I think when you buy a Jeep or Bronco w/ 37's you expect them to feel like an old 4x4. But people accept it for its off-road prowess or just its look. The fact that you can get the power and 37" tires from the factory is just incredible. It wasn't that long ago that 33's were the big tires. lol

I have heard re-balancing wheels helped people with the death wobble.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363

snippit:

And Off-Road?​

In its native off-road environment, in the dirt, the Bronco Raptor is superlative. There was one point where I turned to a colleague from a rival publication and asked, "Can you think of another production vehicle that could do that?" That was in reference to a section of severe rock crawling that's in fact part of the King of the Hammers race course. I can't stress the word "severe" enough. Like, there was one waterfall obstacle (in this case "waterfall" refers to a near vertical rock face) that I was certain was a dead end, and there was no way the Braptor could climb it. Sixty seconds later, I was shaking my head in disbelief. It looked impossible, as did the obstacle just after it. "Maybe a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Xtreme Recon. Maybe," my colleague said. I agreed. Maybe, but also maybe not. Mercedes G-Wagens just don't have the approach angle needed. A Chevy Colorado ZR2 could also probably do the deed, but you'd flatten its tailpipe.
Our Broncos didn't make it through the Hammers sections (I should say this Hammers section, as we ran another, easier one) unmolested. Ford had us drive up to the more difficult section in one group of Bronco Raptors and run the gnarly section in another. Why? The second set had the running boards and bumper caps/foglights removed. And the beadlock-capable wheels had the beadlock ring installed. I bashed the hell out of my Core Orange Braptor's aluminum skidplate, as well as the locator brackets for the rear-end links. And that is what rock-crawling is all about. I'd go so far as to say if the undercarriage of your Braptor isn't all chewed up, you probably bought more vehicle than you need.
The Bronco Raptor didn't just excel on the extreme stuff. It exhibited a full 360 degrees of off-road excellence. Important example: I remain shocked at how poorly the regular Bronco feels when driving down a simple dirt path. There's a bumpiness and a vibration present that frankly doesn't make any sense. Obviously, the Fox shocks with their near-constant revalving helps things, but I also think the 50 percent stiffer body pays massive dividends in the Braptor. The off-road ride quality is on par with the on-road. Impressive. And should you feel like hitting 70 mph on dirt—which I did—this SUV loves it.
The high-speed dirt runs were performed in the Braptor's new Baja mode, part of the Bronco family's on-the-nose G.O.A.T. modes. The most notable thing about Baja mode is that it keeps the throttle open and the wastegates closed, effectively (or as effectively as possible) eliminating turbo lag. Pity that Sport mode doesn't get this feature. The worst thing about Baja mode is its effect on the Braptor's variable exhaust. Allow me to speak truth to cacophony here: Unless it's Italian, no twin-turbo V-6 is worth listening to. Thankfully, there's an exhaust mode button on the steering wheel, so you can always turn down the racket and put it in Quiet. Also worth noting is the brakes work wonderfully in the dirt. Crazy, right?

Props to Ford and its partner Driven Events for coming up with such a comprehensive off-road route. In addition to the slick rock/boulder section described above, we ran light dirt trails and covered whoops, dunes, loose rocks, small rocks, and even an autocross set up on a dry lakebed. Plus, we used part of the dirt racetrack that the Driven people use to train for high-speed desert-running. Except for mud and deep water (California desert, baby), we experienced it all in the Bronco Raptor. The Braptor jumps pretty good, too. And I have to tell you, these Fords did it all exceptionally well. These SUVs simply possess massive off-road capability. Save for a Unimog, I'm thinking this is now the most capable production vehicle you can buy, something I said about the OG Raptor back in 2007. Talk about full circle.

Why So Good?​

How can the Bronco Raptor be so good, whereas the regular Bronco is about 90 percent as good as a comparable Wrangler? Two words: Ford Performance. What's so special about Ford Performance? Well, I talked to quite a few engineers at this launch, and to a person their previous project before the Braptor was the Shelby GT500. Not coincidentally, I don't think very much of the current-generation Ford Mustang, but I'll go to my grave telling people about how I watched a GT500 keep up with a Ferrari F8 Tributo. And the dude that was driving the F8 is quick! That's a long-winded way of saying that Ford Performance (née SVT) is Ford's GT division, its AMG. Its people work magic.

1655810276403.png

1655810290759.png

1655810347480.png

1655810357091.png

1655810379633.png

1655810405808.png

Jimy Bilmo

CSVT OG Member
TCG Premium
TCG Goldmember
Aug 16, 2005
Watching the videos of people running the different sections at the Ford event is awesome. Such a capable vehicle. I've always loved Pre-Runner & trophy trucks. The F150 Raptor was cool. But my want for the Braptor is much stronger. I can only imagine the price of these with the ADM in this insane market.

The Beast The Beast quoted me at $43K over MSRP

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info