Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
Ford Everest

800px-2015_Ford_Everest_Titanium_%28New_Zealand%29.jpg

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
Contrary to what was said by an alleged Ford employee in an unsanctioned and unconfirmed Reddit AMA earlier this week, Ford executive vice president and CTO Raj Nair confirmed to Autoline that the new Ford Bronco will be a completely different vehicle from the global market body-on-frame Everest SUV. Get excited.

Nair confirmed to Autoline that the Bronco and Ranger would be sharing platforms, which makes sense, given this week’s dual announcement:

This new Bronco will be based off the Ranger platform and so it’s going to be a similarly sized vehicle to what you see in the Ranger. Now, for our American customers who have never seen that global Ranger, it’s a bit bigger than the Ranger we used to have here in the U.S., so I would say it’s kind of in-between in what you saw with that really big Bronco [the 1992-1996 model], and then the smaller Bronco [1966-1977].

But it won’t be a shared platform with the Everest—it will be its own new, unique vehicle:

No, it’s a separate vehicle [from the Everest]. It will be an incremental vehicle from the Everest. The Everest kind of serves a lot of off-road capability; maybe the space of the Explorer serves here in the U.S., but with a body-on-frame construction with a lot more off-road capability for the rest of the world. This Bronco is completely unique from that Everest. It is body-on-frame and so again, focusing on that off-road capability.

And our friends at The Truth About Cars also debunked the Redditor’s claims, and had some reported (but again, unconfirmed) details on how the Bronco’s roof could work.

The Everest is an existing body-on-frame SUV built for global markets, giving credence to what the Reddit AMA said. However, Bronco aficionados everywhere became worried that the new “Bronco” would look like the Everest, which despite being a real SUV, looks about as exciting as toast with butter on it.

This is good news, then. Expectations are clearly high. Look at how much attention that render from Bronco6g.com gets every time we post it. People want a Bronco, and they want it to look like a Bronco, ideally with an open roof, two doors and some badass offroading pretenses. Don’t screw this up, Ford.

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
I Don't Believe For A Second The New Ford Bronco And Ranger Will Get Solid Front Axles

I Don't Believe For A Second The New Ford Bronco And Ranger Will Get Solid Front Axles

David Tracy
Yesterday 5:40pmFiled to: FORD BRONCO

fhzwngxxnrjsnxhgxp3m.png

Photo: Jason Torchinsky (morphed the Ford Bronco Concept with a T6 Ranger)
Today, Automotive News broke a story saying the new Ford Bronco and Ford Ranger will each be the lucky recipient of a solid front axle, an ingredient that I think is necessary for the Bronco to truly compete with the mighty Wrangler. I’m just not buying it yet.

A New Ford Bronco And Ford Ranger Are Officially Happening

It’s happening. It’s really happening. After years of speculation and customer demand, the new Ford …
Read more
I woke up this morning to the headline “Check your 6, Wrangler; Ford Bronco will have solid axles, too,” at which point I began writing in all caps and shouting with joy that the gods were granting this world with such beefy, articulating off-road goodness. Then I looked into it, and my joy came to a screeching halt.

The story says that, at an investor presentation earlier this month, Dana disclosed that it had won the driveline business for the 2020 Bronco and 2019 Ranger. If you listen to the announcement, you’ll hear Dana CEO James Kamsickas say about the Ranger and Bronco: “Both of these vehicles will be equipped with full Dana driveline systems.”

Automotive News says in its report that Dana confirmed that the vehicles would get “front and rear axles featuring our latest AdvanTEK gear technology.”

From there, Automotive News made this conclusion:

What does that mean?

It means the midsize and body-on-frame Bronco in 2020 — like the current and next-generation Jeep Wrangler — will have Dana solid axles front and rear.
I’m not sure I agree. Especially considering the term “axle” tends to refer to the driveline between two wheels on the same cross-car axis, whether it’s a solid beam axle or an independent setup with exposed CV axle shafts.

And if you look on Dana’s website at their “AdvanTEK High Efficiency Axles,” you’ll see that the technology applies to a number of different driveline configurations, including independent setups:
igecvgyln91s4oeshl5j.png

Photo: Dana
Opening Dana’s AdvantTEK spec sheet, you’ll find mention of two different “front independent suspension” designs.
h7i8sxphgmp4ug9gnspi.png

Photo: Dana
Having established that “axle” doesn’t necessarily refer to a beam-type axle, and that Dana’s AdvantTEK gearing applies to both independent front suspension and solid front axles, I called up Ford to see if the company would give me a hint.

And they did. After inquiring about the front suspension design on the new Bronco and Ranger, I was told by Ford’s spokesperson—who could only speak about the Ranger—simply that the truck would be based on the T6 Ranger you currently can’t get in the U.S. (The Bronco is also expected to be based on the T6).

And you know what kind of front suspension the T6 has? Independent.
jmx2crf4rguk1adxf23q.png

Photo: Ford
Add to these the fact that Ford doesn’t make a single non-heavy duty vehicle with a solid front axle, and the fact that the U.S.-spec Ranger has never come with a beam-style solid axle up front, and I’m just not buying that the Blue Oval will be chucking a big steel beam between the two front wheels of its Ranger and Bronco, compromising ride quality and handling.

Who knows, maybe Ford will surprise me, and actually spend lots of time and money modifying their T6 Ranger chassis to accept a front axle that is inferior to independent suspension in every environment except off-road, but that seems highly improbable.

Personally, I hope I’m wrong with these skeptical thoughts. I’d absolutely love for Automotive News to call me up one day and tell me to eat my sock, because Ford had confirmed a solid beam-style front axle. I want the durability, articulation, simplicity, and the aftermarket support. I want the Easter Jeep Safari to be more than just jacked-up JK Wranglers. All that, to me, is worth enduring the taste of cotton drenched in my own foot-sweat.

I’ve reached out to Dana, and will update this post as I learn more.

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
Bumping this back up so I stop shitting in the Ranger thread. I was seriously considering buying the 2020 Bronco if it looked like the renderings and it was built on the F150 chassis.

2020-ford-bronco-four-door-rear-quarter-low-silver.jpg

Ford is saying the new Bronco will be built on the Ranger chassis which is SUPER disappointing, more like the Bronco II. It is supposed to be a 4 door version of the Troller out of Brazil, no me gusta.

BroncoII_1_1.jpg

ford-troller-brazil.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info