Ford 8.8 swap F Body

Drago

Regular
Oct 26, 2020
Shawano WI
Real Name
Tom
I know this isn’t groundbreaking stuff but posting this here because this is exactly what I was looking for when I first thought about this swap. Third gen F body guys this is how I swapped an 8.8 into my Camaro. I had roughly $1000 (much much cheaper than pre fabbed setup) into building the rear end, and that included paying someone $400 to do the actual cutting and welding, $250 for brand new 90-92 28 spline axle shafts, and $100 for a kit to replace the factory drum brakes. I did not have the proper tools or feel comfortable cutting the rear ends and welding them together while keeping them straight. So if you have the tools and ability to do this, and find some 90-92 axles on the cheap, this can be done significantly cheaper. I wanted to keep factory width and wheels and didn’t feel like making coil brackets and such. Also wanted parts I could get from a parts store literally anywhere as opposed to custom as I plan to road trip the car on stuff like power tour. That being said at the time I built this I didn’t know that I could’ve gotten 31 spline axles from Dutchmen Axle for close to the same price I paid for the stock 28 spline but it’s done now and in use now. Those would have worked with a 31 spline Explorer rear end as opposed to the 28 spline Ranger rear I used. Will update when it breaks

Reactions: v6buicks and Mook

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
This is great. Where does the 8.8 fit into the spread of 12-bolt, 9-inch, S60 as far as strength/weight/use? I know of the swap but haven’t dove too deeply. Being an auto and off of drag radials for a few years means my 10-bolt is still in one piece, though the Auburn is showing signs of aging.

Drago

Regular
Oct 26, 2020
Shawano WI
Real Name
Tom
This is great. Where does the 8.8 fit into the spread of 12-bolt, 9-inch, S60 as far as strength/weight/use? I know of the swap but haven’t dove too deeply. Being an auto and off of drag radials for a few years means my 10-bolt is still in one piece, though the Auburn is showing signs of aging.
Not exactly sure how it ranks with those strength wise but I've seen lots of guys running big power thru 8.8s without issue and I don't have the funds for either any of those other axles you listed, that's why I chose 8.8

Reactions: Dino Cappuccino

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
That's very cool. The biggest weakness of these cars (and G-bodies) is almost always the axle its self. You could beef the trans up, add power and have to deal with the 7.5. I think that these would be more popular hop up targets except there's no good common OEM axle choices available.

Reactions: Shawn1112 and Drago

Nate

Addict
TCG Sponsor
Mar 4, 2014
Wondertucky
I’d rate the 8.8 strength right up there with a 9” 12 bolt, and a s60 as long certain precautions are taken. The real weak link of the housing itself is the axle tubes. I’ve never seen a 8.8 that didn’t have a bent tube to some degree. If straightened in a jig and then braced-it’s never an issue again. As for internal parts obviously the c clips.

reaper mech

Oct 26, 2020
8.8 is fords version of the gm 12 bolt car rear from the late 60s to early 70's . fun fact 8.8,12 bolt car and 8.5and 8.6 (late model 10 bolt) all carry the same pinion bearings , and carrier bearings are shared except for the 8.5 it has a bit smaller bearing . the 9" is top tier in strength due to its design , it has a 3rd bearing on the pinion that almost completely eliminates deflection

Reactions: Drago and Bru
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info