• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

For those of you on stock bottom ends w/ forced induction..

VenomInside

Just Grazing
Jul 16, 2004
SAC/DEN/SFO/CHI/SEA/PDX
I am making this thread to document my process of pulling apart and trying to figure out what went wrong.

Lets start off with some info.

1996 mystic cobra.

Mods:

Vortech (S-Trim) V1 Supercharger
Ford 42/lb injectors
SCT MAF
Flowmaster cat-back
Bassani X
SVO shorty headers
31 spline axles
Short Throw Shifter,
subframe connectors
Eibach Springs
Adjustable struts and shocks
BBK caster camber
BBK throttle body
MSD ignition
Ford 3.55 Gear
Autometer fuel and boost pillar guages
Raptor shift light
Mickey Thompson E.T. Streets

Car Made 455rwhp/395rwtq @ 10psi

Gas= 93 Octane via mobile gas

Plugs =

This is what happened.

OIL FIRST STARTING TO POUR OUT

DSC05831.jpg

DSC05840.jpg

DSC05844.jpg

DSC05849.jpg

Here are 1 vid of it right after we noticed something was wrong..

Here is what it looked like when i pulled the plugs..

DSC05850.jpg

DSC05851.jpg

DSC05852.jpg

Update...

Didn't get a chance to pull the heads off or the intake for that matter since the throttle body and inlet tubing were being a bitch. Plus my buddy adam decided that it was ok to accidently drop the throttle linkage down somewhere by the headers. :mad:

Here are some updated pics.

Elbow

DSC05865.jpg

Inlet

DSC05866.jpg

Throttle Body

DSC05867.jpg

Inlet to supercharger

DSC05868.jpg

Bottom of blower from underneath the car

DSC05869.jpg

Drained oil

DSC05870.jpg

Air Filter

DSC05873.jpg

UPDATE

Well, Got more done with the help of Erik (aka MGT2002) and my girlfriend who helped out as well. Turns out she is mechanically inclined ;)

Anyway..

Got the spark plug wires etc off, blower, brackets, coolant res, intake manifold etc etc etc..

Btw, THANKS ERIK for coming out again :headbang:

DSC05876.jpg

DSC05877.jpg

DSC05878.jpg

DSC05881.jpg

DSC05883.jpg

DSC05884.jpg

DSC05886.jpg

DSC05888.jpg

DSC05894.jpg

DSC05895.jpg

DSC05897.jpg

DSC05898.jpg

DSC05899.jpg

DSC05902.jpg

DSC05904.jpg

Here are some more pics from the tear down.

DSC05915.jpg

DSC05917.jpg

DSC05918.jpg

DSC05919.jpg

DSC05920.jpg

DSC05921.jpg

DSC05923.jpg

DSC05924.jpg

DSC05926.jpg

Shane97Cobra

Addict
Apr 27, 2005
I've got $100 on a broken ring land. Like I mentioned on the phone, your at the HP level when the block can give up the ghost. I'm thinking ring lands due to the fact that you are getting so much oil blow it is getting sucked into the bi-pass and recirculated into the power pipe...then running down and out the filter.

Be happy a ring land broke and not a rod, atleast your block and crank 'should' still be good. Atleast there isn't a whole in the side of it.

What hole did those really oily plugs come out of? 7 or 8?

Do a compression test if you have the tools, it will tell you if the ring lands went.

Shane97Cobra said:
I've got $100 on a broken ring land. Like I mentioned on the phone, your at the HP level when the block can give up the ghost. I'm thinking ring lands due to the fact that you are getting so much oil blow it is getting sucked into the bi-pass and recirculated into the power pipe...then running down and out the filter.

Be happy a ring land broke and not a rod, atleast your block and crank 'should' still be good. Atleast there isn't a whole in the side of it.

Do a compression test if you have the tools, it will tell you if the ring lands went.

+1

Bob_Kurgan

Flyin_Hawaiin
Feb 16, 2005
Shane97Cobra said:

i would agree with you 100%... most likely, the ring land on the piston has cracked from detonation.. If you look closely at the plugs, it "looks" as those you can see a little bit of piston material on them... if you were to take a zoomed photo with the oil wiped off, it may be more evident... hopefully you can reuse your crank (i would toss the pistons and rods as im sure the wrist pins are no longer round from the pounding).

good luck!

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005
Unfortunate incident; however, I am glad you are documenting everything so that others can learn.

Your example is the reason I have not installed a Procharger on the Mach 1. The rods and pistons in my Mach 1 are garbage and blowing the motor is not a matter of if, but when.

You keep posting and I will keep reading. If there is anything I can do or someone I can talk with to help negotiate, let me know.

Dave

VenomInside

Just Grazing
Jul 16, 2004
SAC/DEN/SFO/CHI/SEA/PDX
i would agree with you 100%... most likely, the ring land on the piston has cracked from detonation.. If you look closely at the plugs, it "looks" as those you can see a little bit of piston material on them... if you were to take a zoomed photo with the oil wiped off, it may be more evident... hopefully you can reuse your crank (i would toss the pistons and rods as im sure the wrist pins are no longer round from the pounding).

good luck!

i'kk take pics of the plugs w/o the oil

VenomInside

Just Grazing
Jul 16, 2004
SAC/DEN/SFO/CHI/SEA/PDX
Blood on Blood said:
Unfortunate incident; however, I am glad you are documenting everything so that others can learn.

Your example is the reason I have not installed a Procharger on the Mach 1. The rods and pistons in my Mach 1 are garbage and blowing the motor is not a matter of if, but when.

You keep posting and I will keep reading. If there is anything I can do or someone I can talk with to help negotiate, let me know.

Dave

Thanks Dave :)

VenomInside

Just Grazing
Jul 16, 2004
SAC/DEN/SFO/CHI/SEA/PDX

good luck!

DSC05860.jpg

DSC05857.jpg

rdsnake

formerly RD SNAKE
Mar 5, 2006
Mikey, Your not going to like what im going to tell you but....I belive those supercharger's run off engine oil, basicly when you pop your engine you send all of that metal and crap thur the s/c and it works the other way around. Id send out the blower to get it checked out. I wouldn't want to cash a new engine.

Kevin

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info