For Sale: 17" MacBook Pro w/Thunderbolt

I am selling my 17" MacBook Pro. Not only do they not make a 17" MacBook anymore, they only made the 17" MacBook with the thunderbolt connection for a short while. The original cost on this laptop was $2750 and I have the original receipt. The specs are;

Intel Core I7
8GV of RAM (1333Mhz)
750GB SATA Hard Drive (7200)
17" HR Glossy Display
Thunderbolt Connection!!
8x Optical Double-Layer SuperDrive

Price: $2000 Firm

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
I don't think I've ever heard someone refer to a Macbook as being a pleasure computer because it's more expensive and even if it was, I don't know who would buy one for that purpose, not to mention a 17" version. Nonetheless, people buy them in droves... not the 17" versions so much but the Macbook in general.

The 17" Macbooks were pretty much ubiquitous among photo/ video guys and were all but a necessity for most people. It's by and large the most "professional" Macbook they made but when the retina came out more and more people were willing to sacrifice screen size for a little more portability and a better display and Apple eventually dropped the 17" model. Definitely not a luxury item though. Most bought the 17" out of necessity which is why the 17" models tend to have a lower resale value than the 15" models despite originally being higher in price.

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
I don't think I've ever heard someone refer to a Macbook as being a pleasure computer because it's more expensive and even if it was, I don't know who would buy one for that purpose, not to mention a 17" version. Nonetheless, people buy them in droves... not the 17" versions so much but the Macbook in general.

The 17" Macbooks were pretty much ubiquitous among photo/ video guys and were all but a necessity for most people. It's by and large the most "professional" Macbook they made but when the retina came out more and more people were willing to sacrifice screen size for a little more portability and a better display and Apple eventually dropped the 17" model. Definitely not a luxury item though. Most bought it out of necessity which is why the 17" models tend to have a lower resale value than the 15" models despite originally being higher in price.

I think you misunderstood what I was saying. I meant that you can get a much cheaper, more powerful PC based system that will be compatible for business 100x more over an apple system for a quarter of the price. Being in IT as a consultant, and also working within IT for several companies over the last 13 years, apple products in an enterprise business infrastructure are not considered worth it. One for the compatibility issues with software, and two because of the price. They are geared toward the marketing/design teams and thats where they are dominate. But now they are "Trendy" and everyone has to have one not for business but because they already have an iphone and ipad, so now they need the complete set for when they are sitting in starbucks. There is no need for this for anyone. A well optioned PC can do what these do at any level for half the price and less headache. Thats all Im saying. And with that being said, unless you are a skilled graphic designer or a pro tools engineer, there is absolutely no need to buy a $3k apple notebook.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
I think you misunderstood what I was saying. I meant that you can get a much cheaper, more powerful PC based system that will be compatible for business 100x more over an apple system for a quarter of the price. Being in IT as a consultant, and also working within IT for several companies over the last 13 years, apple products in an enterprise business infrastructure are not considered worth it. One for the compatibility issues with software, and two because of the price. They are geared toward the marketing/design teams and thats where they are dominate. But now they are "Trendy" and everyone has to have one not for business but because they already have an iphone and ipad, so now they need the complete set for when they are sitting in starbucks. There is no need for this for anyone. A well optioned PC can do what these do at any level for half the price and less headache. Thats all Im saying. And with that being said, unless you are a skilled graphic designer or a pro tools engineer, there is absolutely no need to buy a $3k apple notebook.

No I get it... I guess I just don't consider it a pleasure or luxury item as much as you do. I use a 15" Macbook Pro Retina... I've had (or looked at) pretty much every Windows offering under the sun and nothing comes close as far as total package. Some have the build quality but not the screen size, others the screen size but not the thinness, others screen size but not the build quality or low resolution... the list goes on.

For someone that works on their computer all day and needs a laptop for travel, I just can't fathom having anything else. It's light, it's the best build laptop out there, it has amazing battery life, an amazing display, great processing power and is built like a tank. If I had to run a windows computer for work related reasons I'd still get a Macbook and put windows on it.

And I say that as someone who has only been using a Mac for a couple years now and also someone that sees Apple losing their dominance in a lot of ways. I just still haven't seen anyone step up to the plate and offer up something that as a total package is equal to the MacBooks, at least in the 15" size. There are admittedly a lot of nice 13" ultrabooks available but I can't get by with that size.

Yes they're expensive as all getup but after getting 4 months out of a $2000 Dell before the screen hinges broke, owning an Asus that got 1.5 hours of battery time on a good day and weighed 10lbs... the MacBooks have been a breath of fresh air.

Then again, I guess I could do all that stuff with a windows computer so I suppose you're actually right. It is a luxury but one worth paying for.

Fuck that was a lot of paragraphs of debating just to end up agreeing with you.

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
No I get it... I guess I just don't consider it a pleasure or luxury item as much as you do. I use a 15" Macbook Pro Retina... I've had (or looked at) pretty much every Windows offering under the sun and nothing comes close as far as total package. Some have the build quality but not the screen size, others the screen size but not the thinness, others screen size but not the build quality or low resolution... the list goes on.

For someone that works on their computer all day and needs a laptop for travel, I just can't fathom having anything else. It's light, it's the best build laptop out there, it has amazing battery life, an amazing display, great processing power and is built like a tank. If I had to run a windows computer for work related reasons I'd still get a Macbook and put windows on it.

And I say that as someone who has only been using a Mac for a couple years now and also someone that sees Apple losing their dominance in a lot of ways. I just still haven't seen anyone step up to the plate and offer up something that as a total package is equal to the MacBooks, at least in the 15" size. There are admittedly a lot of nice 13" ultrabooks available but I can't get by with that size.

Yes they're expensive as all getup but after getting 4 months out of a $2000 Dell before the screen hinges broke, owning an Asus that got 1.5 hours of battery time on a good day and weighed 10lbs... the MacBooks have been a breath of fresh air.

Then again, I guess I could do all that stuff with a windows computer so I suppose you're actually right. It is a luxury but one worth paying for.

Fuck that was a lot of paragraphs of debating just to end up agreeing with you.

Yeah I agree with you too. One thing to note tho, I buy all my personal Dell hardware from the dell outlet site. 50%-75% off on hardware with little scratches or has been special ordered and never used. Got mu studio XPS 1645 for $600 when it was $2300 new loaded with everything I wanted and blueray player. I still have it and love it to this day. Had a 2 inch scratch on the BOTTOM cover. lol

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
Yeah badass forsure, but too much money. Not the asking from the OP, but apple's prices in general on macbooks. They are almost for pleasure all together and not for business. Thats a steep price to pay for a pleasure notebook. Too bad because they are badass. GLWS.

I guess for general enterprise they are pretty rediculous but for people who are constantly writing or heavy into photo or video work they are absolutely the best thing out there. And for some reason the simple shit like the keyboard and trackpad are the best by a wide margin as well...... I mean you'd think a windows machine could copy the damn trackpad but honestly nobody has gotten it right.

Thread Info