3800 for anyone that has to clean up a S/C'r

• Thread starter imported_PaceCarBoozer
  • Start date
I

imported_PaceCarBoozer

I have been trying to get all the carbon off of my extra supercharger for a while now, always getting frustrated. I have gone through brake clean, carb cleaner, paint thinner, oil and grease remover (worked pretty good, thanks voytec). I ran out of the grease and oil remover (pre-clean to any painters), so I was trying some random stuff I had laying around. Westley's Bleach-wite whitewall cleaner and a green scotchbrite works GREAT. My whole blower and rotors are clean as a whistle in under an hour. Just thought I would pass on the info in case anyone is gonna tackle this cleaning project in the future.
Cj

I

imported_PaceCarBoozer

Originally posted by xierxior+Sep 13 2006, 11:49 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-CoolGTX
@Sep 13 2006, 09:42 AM
you should have left the rotors alone.
[snapback]139073[/snapback]​

x2, you didn't damage the coating did you? if you managed to strip the coating off the rotors you're going to see higher outlit temperatures.
[snapback]139088[/snapback]​
[/b]

no it didn't damage them at all, the green scotchbrite isn't that harsh at all. It's just that the tire cleaner breaks down the carbon build up so well.

I

imported_PaceCarBoozer

Originally posted by xierxior@Sep 13 2006, 04:59 PM
when I cleaned mine I used engine degreaser on the entire thing then repacked the needle bearings with grease.
engine degreaser works awsome or throttle body cleaner works fairly well to :)

I didn't touch the rotors tho.
[snapback]139160[/snapback]​

I had alot of buildup on the rotors, so I didn't want to leave em alone, I wanted everything clean and done. I am going to repack the needle bearings after I get the porting and polishing done

M@

Somebody buy this thing
Nov 26, 2007
Yup, J/O hit the nail on the head...

Carbon and oil deposits on both the walls of the blower case, and the lobes of the rotors will actually help to better seal the rotors and such, and create a decent increase in volumetric efficiency. Cleaning it up makes it look pretty, but will result in a decrease in performance.

Rotors and the inside rotor wall is one place I WILL NOT touch when porting or cleaning a blower, for that exact reason.

MT

CoolGTX

let sleeping dogs lie
Nov 17, 2008
Hotel 4 Dogs
Real Name
J/O
Originally posted by BumpinGTP@Sep 18 2006, 01:42 PM
I just send my stuff to our powdercoater. Media blasts everything and looks like new in 5 minutes.

Not the inside of the case or course.
[snapback]139845[/snapback]​
im picking up some powder coated stuff tomm. My guy is in oak lawn.
how much for TOG headers and cross over? I want to compare prices.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info