Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
I like how the people who are saying that those who said they'd do it couldn't do it, or would die, are just making assumptions. You don't see those of us who chose to go calling all you people who chose not to a bunch of chicken-assed pussies, do you?

So come on you cowards. I guess you wimps don't want $20 million.

I dont think a lot of you are really THINKING about what living alone in the middle of nowhere, for a full 365 days, really means / entails. Food, warmth, maintaining your health, your sanity, etc...

I know I couldnt do it and not even for 20 million. I value my life :rofl:

Vogz

Moist Ass Bitch
Jul 4, 2006
Batavia, IL
I like how the people who are saying that those who said they'd do it couldn't do it, or would die, are just making assumptions. You don't see those of us who chose to go calling all you people who chose not to a bunch of chicken-assed pussies, do you?

So come on you cowards. I guess you wimps don't want $20 million.

I have enough common sense to know that the scenario described by the op would be a death sentence for anyone but the most seasoned survivalist that has a TON of experience. Anyone on here who thinks they could pull it off is either trolling or just plain ignorant.

It's not that I don't want 20 million, it's that I'm not interested in dying.

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
I would cast the Endure Elements spell on myself daily and Hogsworth Create Food Level 3 when I got hungry. PROFIT.

character_jamarcus.gif

Rebel

TCG Elite Member
Dec 15, 2008
Reno, NV
[MENTION=771]Rebel[/MENTION] I think you need specific rocks to make the sparks and I'd want to keep the knife as sharp as possible for as long as possible only using it when needed because who knows if you'll find a rock suitable to sharpen it with up there. But I'm sure rocks would be very useful to try and make stone age style tools. It'd be very time consuming but your going to have time when up there. Might also be worth looking into attempting to stack rocks around the outside of your cabin too might help a little bit with insulating it along with dumping dirt between the rocks. Almost like a ghetto brick house. It won't happen in just a day or even a week it'd take plenty of time but your going to be there for a year. But dirt'd run off with rain so I need to think up of some other sort of packing to put between the rocks to help with the insulating properties. During the winter try and stack a bunch of snow around it too because snow is actually a good insulator. You just gotta make sure you do it right otherwise it might topple into your cabins wall and bust it open. And not put it on the roof. Can lay animal pelts on the roof though to insulate that. Can also use them on the inside of the walls of the cabin if you can figure out how to get them to stay up (possibly hunt for vine like materials while out during the summer and collect them and use them but not sure how much they'd weaken as they age and use sharper rocks to "punch" holes in the pelts to hang it by)

You use the back of the knife so you don't ruin the edge and you use flint rocks. Depending on the area it'd be easy to find or impossible. I would probably stack the rocks & mud indoors if possible to avoid the elements.

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
I'd totally be fucking down! My only grip. 5 shells? That would have to be 5 well placed shots on 5 deer! It's cold out so you can keep the meat cold no problem.

With only 5 shells I would probably use the first to kill a large game animal like a deer, caribou, etc to get my initial food source to hold me over for a few days until I could gather more resources and set traps. The 4 remaining shells I would save at all costs. With only 5 rounds, that rifle is going to not be much use in the long run.

And what do you do in the summer months? No uber cold then to rely on.

I am not the fella you were replying to, but in the summer months you cut the meat thin and dry it in the sun as quickly as you can. Also, if you are up in the arctic then there is permafrost not far below the surface of the ground. So you would dig a hole as deep as you can go, line it with moss, or another lichen to soak up moisture, and then cover with flat rocks to keep heat out, and the cold in. Either of those two options are very viable to store meat during warmer months in the north.

Eventually some of that stuff will rot/ go brittle so I'll need new ones..

Talking about animal pelts. When I was younger I used to hunt/trap animals and tan their hides. You can use very very basic things in the wild that will allow the hides to preserve and not become brittle. To make rawhide, just skin the animal and flesh the hide as much as you can. Then gather as much hardwood ash from your fire as possible. The lye in the ash will act on the hide making the hair fall out and allow for turning it into rawhide. From there it is just making it into whatever you want after having worked it over a rough surface in order to make it pliable after drying. I used to make string with it, but you could make a ton of other things including sewn clothing. Leg bone fragments are usually best for making needles due to the grain of the bone itself there being long and straight. Other methods can be used too.

Also, doesn't Alaska have sunlight all winter? I think the hardest part would be knowing what time it was. Your weeks will feel like months.

Actually is it sunlight all summer for them; well in the summertime per se. You can make a simple sun dial/rough clock with a stick and stones and the direction of shadow cast onto the ground when the sun revolves around the horizon. It is the same way you would make a sun compass in lower latitudes, but used in a different way up there as a clock. It would at least provide some semblance of time passed.

[MENTION=771]Rebel[/MENTION] 1) I think you need specific rocks to make the sparks and I'd want to keep the knife as sharp as possible for as long as possible only using it when needed because who knows if you'll find a rock suitable to sharpen it with up there. But I'm sure rocks would be very useful to try and make stone age style tools.................................................................................................................2) It'd be very time consuming but your going to have time when up there. Might also be worth looking into attempting to stack rocks around the outside of your cabin too might help a little bit with insulating it along with dumping dirt between the rocks. Almost like a ghetto brick house. It won't happen in just a day or even a week it'd take plenty of time but your going to be there for a year. But dirt'd run off with rain so I need to think up of some other sort of packing to put between the rocks to help with the insulating properties.

In answer to your first point. Flint and steel aren't the only viable way to start a fire in the wilderness; though they are great if you have flint around. A firebow is another very good way to start a fire. I have personally made these before with just a pocket knife and they do work. It is a BITCH and is fucking tiring, but it does work. You will have to get your technique down a little bit though, but it really is mostly common sense; besides maybe the notch cut for the fire dust to fall through and collect. A little science there, but not much.

To your second....dirt would wash away somewhat easily in a rain storm. However, mud does not. Packing mud into the cracks and crevices of your cabin is actually what old timers used to do to seal them. I think they called it chinking iirc. They usually mixed grass or straw into it to provide a little more structure though.

And I might take the Hillbilly from McHenry as team mate #1.

I don't know about that. Dan is obviously a smart guy, and would be invaluable as a survival partner in that respect, but he is also a big guy with a lot of muscle mass that requires nourishment. Simply put, his body would require too much sustenance to make it easy for him to survive with you. If I somehow knew that food would not be an issue then why not have the McHenry hillbilly along, but I would play it safe and get someone more wiry so they don't need as much food to survive.

You use the back of the knife so you don't ruin the edge and you use flint rocks. Depending on the area it'd be easy to find or impossible. I would probably stack the rocks & mud indoors if possible to avoid the elements.

Not a good idea to stack large numbers of heavy rocks directly adjacent to where you will be sleeping at night. One small rocks falling off the top is all it would take. Besides, cabins aren't exactly big so you will be limited for space anyways. Put them on the outside and be smart about it.

As far as staying sane.... I would make friends with a local brown bear, name him Ben, and teach him to do tricks while being at peace with all wildlife around me; all while making friends with an old crotchety mountain man who occasionally visits me while bitching about how dumb his mule, Number 7, is...

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
I don't know about that. Dan is obviously a smart guy, and would be invaluable as a survival partner in that respect, but he is also a big guy with a lot of muscle mass that requires nourishment. Simply put, his body would require too much sustenance to make it easy for him to survive with you. If I somehow knew that food would not be an issue then why not have the McHenry hillbilly along, but I would play it safe and get someone more wiry so they don't need as much food to survive.

Completely agreed. This is why I said "NO" to this challenge. If there is a food source, or if hunting was reliable source, then I'd be game... but with food as an unknown... I'm going down real fast.

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
RIFLE WITH 5 SHOTS IS ESSENTIALLY USELESS AT ANY DISTANCE... IT'LL TAKE YOU 4 SHOTS MIN TO ZERO IT!

I assumed it was already zeroed. Don't know what distance, but it should be not terribly far off at 100 yards, since that is a typical range that most sight their rifles in at.

Let's play devil's advocate and say it's already zeroed. Who the hell carries around an un-zeroed weapon? That's like, retarded and shit.

How about my DUMB FUCKING armorers (gunner's mate fleeters) on our way into Afghanistan in 2010?!?!? We were hopping through Kuwait in our way into the box and these two retards decided to take their BZO'd irons off and mount unzeroed ACOG's the day before our flight in. A couple of knuckleheads. I reamed their asses real good that day, and made them feel about 3" tall in front of my entire platoon. The rest of my kids got the point after that, if not already. Some shit you just don't do.

Atomicles

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2008
Schaumburg
I have enough common sense to know that the scenario described by the op would be a death sentence for anyone but the most seasoned survivalist that has a TON of experience. Anyone on here who thinks they could pull it off is either trolling or just plain ignorant.

It's not that I don't want 20 million, it's that I'm not interested in dying.

Well apparently 25 people on this site don't have common sense. Only 16 of you do. If 25 people have have it, and only 16 people do, that makes it common, right? Oh wait, no, it totally doesn't.

My common sense is telling me that you don't know anything about survival situations or the people on this board who have answered yes. Did I use that term right this time? Ah, who cares. I'll just throw it around whenever I want.

Vogz

Moist Ass Bitch
Jul 4, 2006
Batavia, IL
Well apparently 25 people on this site don't have common sense. Only 16 of you do. If 25 people have have it, and only 16 people do, that makes it common, right? Oh wait, no, it totally doesn't.

My common sense is telling me that you don't know anything about survival situations or the people on this board who have answered yes. Did I use that term right this time? Ah, who cares. I'll just throw it around whenever I want.

Common sense obviously isn't that "common".

I would love to hear about how we magically have 25 experienced survivalists on this regional car forum. Why don't you start with yourself. Tell us about your vast wilderness survival experience.

Atomicles

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2008
Schaumburg
Common sense obviously isn't that "common".

I would love to hear about how we magically have 25 experienced survivalists on this regional car forum. Why don't you start with yourself. Tell us about your vast wilderness survival experience.

That was my point. If something you think should be common sense, but clearly the results show it isn't, maybe it's not, and you shouldn't use it as your argument.

Why is it you think only experienced survivalists could survive this scenario? I agree, it's a huge plus. But I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility for a non-experienced person to survive this. Humans do what they need to live.

I wouldn't normally respond to someone who refers to something that's a statistical possibility as magical, but if it'll appease your curiosity and shut all the naysayers up, I'll give it a try.

Dozens of times I've gone on hunting/camping trips in Wisconsin. Usually 2-5 days long. I can skin/cook/preserve animals I kill. I can start fire a couple of different ways. I know how to purify drinking water. I can tell direction. I have made my own shelter in the woods before. And I've chopped wood.

No. I've never spent more than a week in the wilderness. Nor have I been anywhere so cold.

(didn't you make a separate thread for this stuff Vogz?)

Thread Info