Focus ST turbos as twins. What do you think?

100percentjake

Addicted to bad ideas
Apr 19, 2016
Now put that beast of a powerplant in something that looks the part.

15726310_1332728700132451_1013622016843531556_n.jpg

So here's the update: I finally got around to swapping turbos. I also slapped that 2.8 pulley on. I was uncertain whether or not my trigger for the BBV was stuck open because it just wasn't very responsive at all so I unplugged that line and ran it to the cabin to see if it was activating properly. Needless to say that restored my instaboost beyond my wildest expectations and boost spiked god knows how high causing audible knock. Engine started tapping after that. Sure enough, glitter in the oil.

So what do I do? Change the oil and keep tuning, of course! I kept going until I HAD to stop. The last pull I did there was an awful noise and it died. Was tough to restart, and noisy for a few minutes after I did and then my tap went completely away and I have a dead miss on #4. Gonna pull the plug and run compression, but I suspect that something is completely missing.

On the bright side, I managed to max out the 80s, and almost max my AFC'd LQ4 MAF. I was hitting 93% IDC at 4100rpms, so I didn't ride it up any further. It's still a rocket on 5 cylinders. I'm swapping a high compression engine into my 97 PAU so this car will get it's 240k bottom end when I'm ready to do that. I may have to rob my 120 injectors out of my 98 for it and upgrade it to some 2000s or something.

You think just a slug/bearings or do you think you drove over the crank?

Honestly, I have no idea if the bearing went and then beat the rod cap off or if I knocked a piece of the piston off and it bounced around until that whole cylinder failed. The oil pressure gauge hasn't worked since I've had it so I have no idea. I think my dad borrowed my scope so I probably won't know what happened until I tear it down.

It doesn't appear to have put a window in the block though...isn't putting oil onto the ground anyway.

Isn't that hard on the turbos, running it with glittery oil?

You say that as if running them balls out with no trigger to the wastegate isn't. I don't think long-term bearing wear is even a consideration for me. But if I do decide to continue driving it I'll thoroughly flush the system with diesel or something. Most likely it will stay parked until I decide which engine to swap in. I can't very well trust the wideband with a cylinder down anyway so I may as well put off any further tuning for the new engine.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info