Focus ST turbos as twins. What do you think?

Ok, so I got back to work on it tonight. The exhaust is basically done. I still need to get some gaskets for the vbands...they definitely warped a bit during welding. Not leaking terrible, but definitely noticeable. I also need to find an O2 bung and decide where to put that (probably at the rear of the crossover). So I basically ended up with vbands on both turbos, into a crossover, with a vband on the other end as well. The downpipe then has another flange just after it goes into the tunnel. From there, I threw together a 3" Y and put a manual cutout in. Then it ties right back into the stock exhaust just in front of the secondary O2.

It's typical Zeph fashion. Ugly, but functional. Everything can be individually removed without too much hassle for service or whatever, so I'm pretty happy about that. Just gotta do oil and water lines, and figure out intake/intercooling. I expect to get hung up waiting on parts at some point but hopefully I'll have it drivable next weekend.

My phone died so no pics.

100percentjake

Addicted to bad ideas
Apr 19, 2016

Jake to the fescue.

slmkiyzlhppaw0q68mit.jpg

ucqbp0tfscchoba1rieg.jpg

What on earth is going on with the alternator? Replacing the coolant elbows?

So oil lines and coolant lines are not cooperating. For whatever reason they went with 5/16" oil lines and I only have 1/4" hydraulic hose so I'm going to have to mod the oil feed lines. Also I'm missing one coolant line so I get to "make" a fitting for that as well. I have one oil drain line so I can cut that in half to make two.

Apart from that, I only received one turbo with recirc valve, so I need to come up with another one. Apparently nobody in the world sells stock ones for these, not even Ford. So I'm stuck either buying an expensive aftermarket one, or buying an expensive block-off plate and installing a cheap aftermaket BOV in the charge pipe. On the off-chance BW uses the same size recirc valve for *many/most* of their turbos, I am going to see if one from my mercedes will fit. Mercedes does sell "diverter valve rebuild" kits that have a new diaphragm and spring and cover, and I happen to still have one of my original ones laying around. If that doesn't pan out, I'll probably be another week waiting on parts. Hoping to have the lines done in the next couple days though (have a friend I've got to help with a trans swap tonight/tomorrow) and from that point it will just be intake fab, then the injectors/pump can go in and I can tune it.

Ebay intercooler piping kits have adapters for a BOV already welded on them, you just need to get one of those kits and an Ebay BOV. You can vent to atmosphere, that doesn't effect the tuning.

The valves are recirculating within the compressor cover itself. You can't just stick a pipe on there unless you're saying there are specific ones for the focus ST. The passages have to be blocked or they won't build boost.

Damn, that actually looks really professional. Guess you're bound and determined to get your money's worth out of your crimper.

I kinda wanna buy this.

Damn it.

I'm sure it will all fit the riv. But I'm also sure you can't afford it. With labor considered, if I were to sell it, I think this would be approximately the same money as an entry-level single kit.

As a side note, that was done with the "free" crimper that they sent me on accident, but actually turned out being more useful and practical than the one I ordered. I cut the factory oil line stubs off and drilled the ID to 1/4" so I could slip-fit 1/4" stainless tubing in there to weld it. The lines are then a combination of random hardware store plumbing fittings and hydraulic hose with JIC ends and fittings so it's actually serviceable. Will be doing the drain line today and hopefully coolant lines also out of hydraulic hose, but those will unfortunately NOT have JIC fittings at this point.

I want to do some twincharging experimentation and datalogging so I'm not doing as much guesswork setting up the Park Avenue this time...it just makes too much power too quickly to be able to tell what is really going on at WOT due to wheelspin. Then yes, get some numbers and put the kit and/or car up for sale so I can get some moneys to dump into the Park Ave and/or Mercedes to try and get them both going for spring.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info