đź’¦ Detailing Foam Cannon Vs Foam Gun

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Gav, I recently bought a Twinkle Star gun, wand, hose and foam cannon and am running into issues with it not working with my pressure washer (water just trickles out, but original hose and gun work fine). Anyway, when I was searching for possible solutions I ran across one of your detail videos with their gun. I was like, I know him!

Gav'sPurpleZ

If you fail to plan, you're planning to fail
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
Kinda thread related, so I'll post here instead of making my own thread.

So I'm looking into getting a pressure washer so I can get a foam cannon. The electric ones are very tempting because they have a much more attractive price point. Can I get by with an electric one?

Since I like numbers, what would be recommend for GPM and PSI for a foam cannon?

From what I have read and seen online, when it comes to using a foam cannon, the Gallons per Minute is what helps create shaving cream thick foam.
Chemical guy's website says anything over 1.4 is okay but RECOMMENDS 2.0 or higher. Problem here is the Sun joe is the only electric washer that provides 1.76 GPM at a lower PSI ( dont need to blast the paint off the car ).
Kranzle makes a super expensive electric unit but thats for a professional with big $

Following along. I have a gas pressure washer but dont want to run that loud ass thing early morning on a weekend... I just bought this hit on Prime Day:

71kgwkpXJBL._SL1000_.jpg

According to the Amazon notes itll work with a pressure washer from 500-3,500 PSI.....

Thinking about getting a small electric one for it around the house.

See above, while it will make more foam than their non low psi foam cannons, their recommendation for the GPM is whats more important for detailing.
Be careful with the Citrus wash and gloss as it can be similar to a strip wash if the dilution ratio is over their label

I use the electric one and it does well enough. I have the cannon with the orifice for use with the electric pressure washer. Sure, it doesn't foam as thick as it is with a gas powered pressure washer. But I still get plenty of foam.

The electric unit I have is much smaller than a gas powered unit. So it is easy to store in the garage. And it isn't nearly as loud as the gas unit, which I am sure my neighbors as happy about. The unit is plenty strong to clean things around the house. I use to it clean my garage, gutters, deck, stonework, and so on. All in all it is a winning combo for me. The only drawback I see is the thickness of the foam.

Gav did a nice video that shows the gas vs. electric washers. You can check that out to get an idea of the results with both. I don't think I saw Gav complain anywhere that the electric set up didn't clean as well due to less foam. Maybe he can confirm that. The key to the electric set up is the correct orifice for the electric pressure washer.

Thanks dude !
My ryobi is getting the job done but i'm tempted to upgrade to the Sun Joe for the extra GPM

I looked at a few Ryobis there. Maybe I'll grab one.

I purchased a longer hose for it as well. So I have a further reach for projects.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000U8LNZS/?tag=tcg21-20

As well as a coupler to use both hoses together for even more reach.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MXW4GG9/?tag=tcg21-20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckIXyHzXrb4

here is my new hose and pressure gun setup.
links are in the description of the video.
Yes, I spent 90 bucks on a pressure gun and quick disconnect fittings but I'm kind of OCD

Gav, I recently bought a Twinkle Star gun, wand, hose and foam cannon and am running into issues with it not working with my pressure washer (water just trickles out, but original hose and gun work fine). Anyway, when I was searching for possible solutions I ran across one of your detail videos with their gun. I was like, I know him!

what kind of pressure washer are you using ? I assume all of the hose ends connect properly? I know the karcher PW is completely different in terms of it's connecting points

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
All the hoses connect fine but after further investigating I think the ID of the new hose is larger than the old one, which would explain the low pressure. More girth, less pressure. It’s an ancient Karcher G2000QT. My father in law broke the pull cord and put it on the curb. I grabbed it, threw in a new spark plug and pull cord and it runs like a champ. An antiquated champ with proprietary hoses, apparently.

Gav'sPurpleZ

TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
All the hoses connect fine but after further investigating I think the ID of the new hose is larger than the old one, which would explain the low pressure. More girth, less pressure. It’s an ancient Karcher G2000QT. My father in law broke the pull cord and put it on the curb. I grabbed it, threw in a new spark plug and pull cord and it runs like a champ. An antiquated champ with proprietary hoses, apparently.

thats odd. In theory it makes sense but I upgraded the hose on my electric unit and the output was not affected :dunno:

Gav'sPurpleZ

TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
Bump for some interesting information.

anyone here follow or watch Matt M on the Obsessed Garage YT Channel ?

He bought over 50 pressure washers and is testing each one to see if they meet the specs advertised.

his videos are long and detailed, so if you don't want to watch 6 or 7 20-30 minute videos, that's why I'm here :rofl:
1 thing to be thankful for in winter, is TV time.

So far, the ryobi pressure washers live up to their specs. Yes, some of the orifice sizes are small so that a smaller machine can put out the PSI.
the lesser expensive units are decent for Car cleaning.

Green works is similar to the Ryobi and again, their smaller units are decent. I think the 2200 had a higher gallons per minute ( GPM ) output than most of the others.

As for Sun Joe, rated @ 1.76 gpm ( the highest for a retail electric pressure washer ) these machines do NOT live up to their PSI / GPM ratings.

For car washing / detailing, around 1,000 PSI and a higher GPM is what you want.

He will be putting up an elaborate spread sheet on his website once all of his testing is complete. I think he has Karcher and AR Blue PW videos coming.

He will compare all of these machines to the Kranzle which is a low PSI, high GPM german unit that is big $$

So the next time someone comments on one of my videos that the foam is not thick enough, I will make sure to provide them with a lengthy response ( which will pretty much tell them to KMA )

:jg:

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I'm going to get a electric power washer this spring and step up to a foam cannon.
Used the CG foam gun all last year and did okay.

i got a cheapy electric power washer from home depot deal of the day at some point and im always impressed by how well it works.

ive seen them available refurb'd too for like 65-75 bucks.

so much less space taken up, so much less work than a gas one too.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info