NEW RIDE FNG Part II - Blue 1987 IROC Z28 Camaro T-Top goodness and 305 TPI Thunder

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
Reaction score
Might want to consider replacing the steering Rag joint while you are at it. It'll clean up any slop that exists between the steering wheel and input shaft on the steering gear. They get old/weak and flex a ton causing quite a bit of transition slop. Contributes the stereotype that they wander all over the road.

If the rag joint already has bolts/nuts its been replaced. if its got rivets then its original.

OP
Bonj87

Bonj87

Regular
Reaction score
Might want to consider replacing the steering Rag joint while you are at it. It'll clean up any slop that exists between the steering wheel and input shaft on the steering gear. They get old/weak and flex a ton causing quite a bit of transition slop. Contributes the stereotype that they wander all over the road.

If the rag joint already has bolts/nuts its been replaced. if its got rivets then its original.
im new to third gens.. ill be honest.. dunno even where to look, but based on everything else, im betting this things is 100 percent all original

OP
Bonj87

Bonj87

Regular
Reaction score
replaced all the clips\plastic screws in the hatch, so now all the covers fit like factory.

OP
Bonj87

Bonj87

Regular
Reaction score
i need to get the ball joints replaced, badly

DEEZUZ

Yea but how many acres..?
Donating Member
Reaction score
i need to get the ball joints replaced, badly
Order entire front end today. I have clunking while driving. It's gotta be them. So much play in them

OP
Bonj87

Bonj87

Regular
Reaction score
Order entire front end today. I have clunking while driving. It's gotta be them. So much play in them
i dont have the ability to redo the whole front end at home myself, which sucks

DEEZUZ

Donating Member
Reaction score
i dont have the ability to redo the whole front end at home myself, which sucks

Also, while driving, do you notice the ball joints are an issue? How do you know they're bad?

I have a solid clunking by my feet while cruising. Lifted her up and everything is super solid besides the joints... Nooooo way that's the joints..

CMNTMXR57

GM & Holden Nutswinger
Reaction score
WOW!!! She's purty.

And a Hot-N-Now... Haven't seen that since the 90's, so even that is time frame compliant too.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
Reaction score
Also, while driving, do you notice the ball joints are an issue? How do you know they're bad?

I have a solid clunking by my feet while cruising. Lifted her up and everything is super solid besides the joints... Nooooo way that's the joints..
Upper strut mounts? Just tossing it out there.

OP
Bonj87

Bonj87

Regular
Reaction score

when braking, she pulls.. plus we had the vehicle up on stands and wiggled the tires while looking at the ball joints.. there's too much play in them.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
Reaction score
when braking, she pulls.. plus we had the vehicle up on stands and wiggled the tires while looking at the ball joints.. there's too much play in them.
Does it consistently pull to the same side?

That could also be swelling brake lines too allowing uneven pressure on the left and right sides. Common problem as they age.

Honestly, at this age I'd just replace them with new OEM style, or braided stainless. Either is fine for a street car, one just has more bling and cost.

OP
Bonj87

Bonj87

Regular
Reaction score
so shes got new tires on now.. just bought a cheap set. need ball joints done, alignment, brakes probably.. then replace water pump.. i want to get the wheels re done so they're clean like factory.

DEEZUZ

Donating Member
Reaction score
If your ball joints look like this they are not that bad.

I freaked out once I saw this and yes, they are worn out but when I changed them they were still really tight.

OP
Bonj87

Bonj87

Regular
Reaction score
yeah they're not quite that bad.. at least on one side. the other has movement , but not THAT bad

OP
Bonj87

Bonj87

Regular
Reaction score
worked on a few things.. got the water pump done, tune up.. brakes worked out.. put 20 miles on the ole girl and she drove like a dream!!!!!!! then stopped for some pics. BLOO and DEBBIE

20210709_202221.jpg
20210709_202248.jpg
20210709_202354.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom