FL residents and vacationers - looking for ideas and experiences

frank

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Yeah, I can't wait to leave Illinois. Question for you guys that have recently moved there. How long does it take to stop paying Illinois state tax and reap the rewards of Florida no tax? Is there any process for speeding it up?

Process was quick here for us and it was during covid. Would suggest setting up a appointment at the tax collectors office in the county you are moving to, get all your Florida residency all set up, as in Florida drivers license, new car plates, fishing license with salt and fresh water, lobster fishing and scallops, super cheap and they offer a lifetime license also, if you are work from home let them know once you are all set up for payroll issues.

Not sure on what auto insurance company you have but you need to have proof of Florida auto insurance at time of license change over.

Where are you moving to in Florida?

cdh027

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Mar 10, 2004
Sunny Florida
Process was quick here for us and it was during covid. Would suggest setting up a appointment at the tax collectors office in the county you are moving to, get all your Florida residency all set up, as in Florida drivers license, new car plates, fishing license with salt and fresh water, lobster fishing and scallops, super cheap and they offer a lifetime license also, if you are work from home let them know once you are all set up for payroll issues.

Not sure on what auto insurance company you have but you need to have proof of Florida auto insurance at time of license change over.

Where are you moving to in Florida?
We are moving into a brand new rental house in the Isles at Bayview in Parrish. It wasnt our first choice city, wife wanted Lakewood Ranch (super expensive) but we just want to get down there and then we can look around. We would like to buy or build somewhere from Venice up to Sarasota.

Reactions: frank

frank

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
We are moving into a brand new rental house in the Isles at Bayview in Parrish. It wasnt our first choice city, wife wanted Lakewood Ranch (super expensive) but we just want to get down there and then we can look around. We would like to buy or build somewhere from Venice up to Sarasota.
Where we made the move we looked at Lakewood and didn’t like the vibe of it at all, and it was too far from the beach. We ended up in Venice which is close to the beach still small town feel and it’s close to Sarasota and right off the expressway.

Reactions: cdh027

ZXMustang

Suh dude
Feb 19, 2019
With in the last week or so they had two launches, one at night and another in the afternoon. Night launches we can see from where I live on the west coast.
Wait until they do the falcon heavy at night. It’s like a massive comet in the sky. I mean it’s 10x brighter and cooler than the falcon 9. Keep an eye out for the next heavy launch. It’s breath taking. Even from the west coast.

I saw the last one a few years ago at like 5am. I was driving to work and people were pulled over all up and down the veterans expressway watching it go.

Reactions: Flyn and frank

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020
There’s supposed to be a launch on Thursday night this week. I’m going to try go see it from here:

https://www.explorationtower.com/plan-a-visit/directions-and-parking.aspx

Some of me pics from yesterday:

54F4745D-137C-4416-A8A6-CD891F62B8D4.jpeg

0E3ADA6E-A423-41C1-AC4E-B31821C1192D.jpeg

C87E1FFA-1C2F-493E-A3AC-024124DBE862.jpeg

418EE717-6E44-49A0-B0EF-1C618ADFDE5F.jpeg

5A9018D8-495F-4536-87C0-6BC3AE52723D.jpeg

9034859C-9F9C-4E9E-B316-91C8179ADC86.jpeg

49BA49BA-DF64-4661-9481-10D41F77F66A.jpeg

B846B20C-EBF5-4FB3-AF45-67E7D14A6CE6.jpeg

FFA309D5-E2FC-4D55-A9D8-DBA68527F073.jpeg

F28E9556-94DD-4FFE-85BF-C4F4C58B382C.jpeg

794C3A20-07DB-48DB-ACBE-B7512AA426CC.jpeg

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Just landed in Miami, currently 80 and sunny. Headed to grab some lunch in little Havana then to the hotel in Miami Beach.

Been here a whole 10 minutes and trying to find a way to convince my girl to leave Chicago. I’m done with the cold. :ROFLMAO:
We expect many photos to make us back in here chicago jealous as fuck.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
I'm partially active in trying to find a location where the median daytime temp is about 75-85°, but has scenery and places to explore. Being able to get to the beach with a short (few hours) drive would be nice, or at least a good place to swim and enjoy some sand.

Reactions: frank

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
View attachment 111869

View attachment 111870

View attachment 111872

View attachment 111874

View attachment 111877

Little photo dump from today.

Went to Little Havana to do some sight seeing and grab lunch. Ended up at Sanguich which is often rated the best Cubano in Miami and I can see why!

Made it to the hotel and explored a bit before heading to dinner / drinks.

One thing that I didn’t expect, of the 2 restaurants and 3 bars we went to today (including our hotel bar) they have ALL included between 18%-22% service fee on the bill. I’ve always thought of myself as a generous tipper, but this kinda leaves me scratching my head. Does this count towards the tip or do I tip on top of this? Is this a Miami thing? I’ve seen 3%-5% around Chicago due to Covid and get that, but 20%+ is a decent chunk of change plus tip
The Wife and I love Lil Havana, our go to is Old Havana restaurant, near McDonalds. You should go check out Wynwood at night.

Reactions: Caleb515 and Aircal

Caleb515

Addict
Aug 20, 2020
Chicago, IL
Real Name
Caleb
The Wife and I love Lil Havana, our go to is Old Havana restaurant, near McDonalds. You should go check out Wynwood at night.
We actually stopped by Old Havana restaurant after lunch for some drinks at the bar, they had a band playing out front and made a killer raspberry mojito. Lol

Wynwood is on the list for tomorrow afternoon. My girl wants to check the murals over there and a few shops / bars.

Reactions: Shawn1112

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
We actually stopped by Old Havana restaurant after lunch for some drinks at the bar, they had a band playing out front and made a killer raspberry mojito. Lol

Wynwood is on the list for tomorrow afternoon. My girl wants to check the murals over there and a few shops / bars.
Omg, their Mojitos are ????
Wynwood murals are bad ass, cool vibe there at night. More so on the weekends.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info