FL residents and vacationers - looking for ideas and experiences

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
We have arrived just west of St. Augustine (5-6 miles), where hotels were much cheaper. About 1160 miles done so far. I used the Peach Express lanes from the south side of Atlanta till they ended. Will have to go back and register my car. But it beat sitting in the parking lot of traffic for hours.

Another good thing, FL now recognizes the IL IPASS, so once I burn up my $7.65 on my Sunshine Pass I can toss the temporary one.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
We have arrived just west of St. Augustine (5-6 miles), where hotels were much cheaper. About 1160 miles done so far. I used the Peach Express lanes from the south side of Atlanta till they ended. Will have to go back and register my car. But it beat sitting in the parking lot of traffic for hours.

Another good thing, FL now recognizes the IL IPASS, so once I burn up my $7.65 on my Sunshine Pass I can toss the temporary one.

I thought there were two separate toll systems down there. One does recognize I-Pass/EZ-Pass, the other doesn't.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
I can’t find the thread, but every time I hear “Jacksonville” I think of that energetic FBI agent from McMillions (didn’t this have a thread)?

Also, Ash from Ash vs Evil Dead

DB95795C-1A74-4377-BB26-828A249148C2.png

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
In Florida, if you don't pay the tolls, they send you a letter asking for the toll money with no penalties. Refreshing. You owe us a dollar. Probably costs them more to send the notice than they get.
Better than IL. Here if you miss a toll it’s the full price of the toll plus a $20 administrative fee.

IL sucks donkey balls

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
So I’ve thing I’ve noticed, Verizon has some lousy coverage around town (St. Augustine). There were places in Old Town where I had signal, but no internet/LTE. Speedtest works time out.

Out by the highway where our hotel is I’m getting over 100 down and 40 up.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
I had a small tornado hit my house today. Took out some shingles and forced open my french doors. Power was out from 9 A.M. until now. Amy and I threw 10 bags of ice in the fridges and freezers to keep them going. We were picking up branches for a couple hours. Insurance adjuster is coming out tomorrow.

I knew, when I heard the train sound and the trees were going crazy that it was not good. Branches down all over the place. Stop signs flattened in the neighborhood. No injuries as far as I know.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Scared the crap out of me. I had to force the doors closed and push my exercise bike up against them to hold them shut. I saw a pool floatie go through my lanai screen. The wind was actually pushing me around when I ran out back to look for the tornado. I saw my shingles bending up from the roof and blowing off. Knew it was bad then. I got my son out of bed and told him to get dressed. The dog was freaking out.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Yeah, the news is saying high winds but it was tornadoes. I heard the train sound which, people from Chicago know, is a tornado. The clouds were going crazy. Driving to the store to get ice, we saw two stop signs that were bent horizontal to the ground. Traffic lights were out all over and traffic was being rerouted on 41. I was literally having a hard time staying on my feet in my back yard. Ran back inside because that's crazy. I have been through two hurricanes down here and this was worse.

• Wow
Reactions: cdh027

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Made it to Clearwater. Tapped out. I’m done driving for a few days. Traffic sucks and I ran out of patience. I swear it must be illegal to use your cruise control in FL, cause it seems like no one knows how to maintain a fucking speed.

Need to find a better hotel. At some crap Clarion off of 19 that I’m not spending four nights at.

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020
Made it to Clearwater. Tapped out. I’m done driving for a few days. Traffic sucks and I ran out of patience. I swear it must be illegal to use your cruise control in FL, cause it seems like no one knows how to maintain a fucking speed.

Need to find a better hotel. At some crap Clarion off of 19 that I’m not spending four nights at.

Here's where we stayed, there's a nice roogtop bar with a cool view.

Reactions: SpeedSpeak2me
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info