FL residents and vacationers - looking for ideas and experiences

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Looking to go to FL for the last 2-3 weeks of December and into New Years. The g/f wants to do either St. Augustine or St. Petersburg area (I know, opposite sides of the state). I suggested doing half of our time in each place to keep from getting bored. The place we used to stay just outside of Miami (Doral) is no longer an option, unfortunately.

With all the peoples that either live in those area(s), or people that have traveled there, can anyone suggested things to do (outside of the beach) for those places? More importantly what would be the best way to find budget friendly accommodations? It would just be two adults. I'm trying to not stay in hotels which are expensive as shit during peak snowbirds time. I don't see her doing the resort thing either. So with those limitations listed, what should we look for, and forward to?

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Looking to go to FL for the last 2-3 weeks of December and into New Years. The g/f wants to do either St. Augustine or St. Petersburg area (I know, opposite sides of the state). I suggested doing half of our time in each place to keep from getting bored. The place we used to stay just outside of Miami (Doral) is no longer an option, unfortunately.

With all the peoples that either live in those area(s), or people that have traveled there, can anyone suggested things to do (outside of the beach) for those places? More importantly what would be the best way to find budget friendly accommodations? It would just be two adults. I'm trying to not stay in hotels which are expensive as shit during peak snowbirds time. I don't see her doing the resort thing either. So with those limitations listed, what should we look for, and forward to?
Try looking for an Airbnb that meets your needs. We always have good luck with them when we go out of town.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
When looking at them, or say, VRBO (I was just told about that), is there anything that we should watch for as warning signs? Basically any specific street smarts that should be applied?
No clue what VRBO is
We prefer the "super host" or whatever they are called. We also prefer a place with a lot of reviews, not just 10-15. Then we go off the most recent reviews.
Going that route, we havent had a bad experience. We did have a place in Miami that looked a lot bigger in the pics. But for the price, iirc $89 a night we were on the ocean, 17th floor of a high rise at North Beach we couldnt complain.

Reactions: SpeedSpeak2me

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
No clue what VRBO is
We prefer the "super host" or whatever they are called. We also prefer a place with a lot of reviews, not just 10-15. Then we go off the most recent reviews.
Going that route, we havent had a bad experience. We did have a place in Miami that looked a lot bigger in the pics. But for the price, iirc $89 a night we were on the ocean, 17th floor of a high rise at North Beach we couldnt complain.
On something like that, is there a proxy/escrow for the payment in case one party or the other doesn't follow through? Also, how do they handle access, like keys/passes/etc? I know the internet is out there, but I like getting information and answers from people that I know physically exist and I can trust.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
On something like that, is there a proxy/escrow for the payment in case one party or the other doesn't follow through? Also, how do they handle access, like keys/passes/etc? I know the internet is out there, but I like getting information and answers from people that I know physically exist and I can trust.
Pretty sure there is a cancellation policy with enough notice. It tells you when your looking at a certain place. As far as not being happy, you could always do the old "we saw a roach" to get a refund. It works everywhere and I mean everywhere. All the places we stayed had one of the keypad deadbolts. So they give you the code the day your checking in. Its relatively painless and pretty simple from what we have experienced.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Pretty sure there is a cancellation policy with enough notice. It tells you when your looking at a certain place. As far as not being happy, you could always do the old "we saw a roach" to get a refund. It works everywhere and I mean everywhere. All the places we stayed had one of the keypad deadbolts. So they give you the code the day your checking in. Its relatively painless and pretty simple from what we have experienced.
Thank you sir!

Reactions: Shawn1112

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
St Augustine will be on the cooler side during that time. I'd look further south if you want to do pool or beach days.
That's kind of why I was pushing for the Gulf side, and further south. We've already done the Miami/South Beach and Key West thing. We've actually stopped in St. Augustine, but got in late at night and were gone by lunch the next day. So kind of want to go back to explore a bit.

frank

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
St Pete area - go north about an hour and swim
with the manatees at three sisters spring I believe it’s called cool to visit and do if you haven’t.

Check out clear water beach for a half a day.

Fort desoto part south part of st Pete very cool to see the old Spanish forts, jails, cannons, and the beaches are nice also.

If you like museums the Salvador Dali museum is nice to see while in town.

I’m sure I will think of a few more places to visit. In that area.

places to stay I would book a few different locations starting in st pete and working your way down to Naples / Marco island. Each city has its own attractions and sites to see.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
St Pete area - go north about an hour and swim
with the manatees at three sisters spring I believe it’s called cool to visit and do if you haven’t.

Check out clear water beach for a half a day.

Fort desoto part south part of st Pete very cool to see the old Spanish forts, jails, cannons, and the beaches are nice also.

If you like museums the Salvador Dali museum is nice to see while in town.

I’m sure I will think of a few more places to visit. In that area.

places to stay I would book a few different locations starting in st pete and working your way down to Naples / Marco island. Each city has its own attractions and sites to see.
Thank you sir!

Naples/Fort Myers is a nice area. The beaches around Naples are some of the nicest Florida in my opinion.

There's good restaurants and bars, but that side is a bit quieter. You can fly into RSW pretty easily as well.
Believe it or not, driving down. Yeah, gonna take two days, but still cheaper than flights and a rental car. Plus we can divert on the way down or back to see something if we want, or maybe stop at my dad's in southeastern KY. I'll drive past Spivitz Spivitz place to use the washroom and have a beer. :chugger:

Reactions: Spivitz

Spivitz

The Throttle is ur friend
TCG Premium
Oct 5, 2012
Thank you sir!

Believe it or not, driving down. Yeah, gonna take two days, but still cheaper than flights and a rental car. Plus we can divert on the way down or back to see something if we want, or maybe stop at my dad's in southeastern KY. I'll drive past Spivitz Spivitz place to use the washroom and have a beer. :chugger:

You're always welcome Bro

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
VRBO is Vacation Rentals By Owner. They're similar to AirBnB.

As far as what to do, there is so much to do in Florida that it's just a question of what you like best. You can do anything from beach and bar to tourist Disney style to tourist extreme with zip lines and paragliding to hunting interesting wildlife and either shooting it or capturing it on camera. Also, all sorts of water adventures, racing events, space flight viewing and much more.

I'd google the area where you choose to stay and see what looks good. You can also look at Chamber of Commerce sites for more local info.

Reactions: frank

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
VRBO is Vacation Rentals By Owner. They're similar to AirBnB.

As far as what to do, there is so much to do in Florida that it's just a question of what you like best. You can do anything from beach and bar to tourist Disney style to tourist extreme with zip lines and paragliding to hunting interesting wildlife and either shooting it or capturing it on camera. Also, all sorts of water adventures, racing events, space flight viewing and much more.

I'd google the area where you choose to stay and see what looks good. You can also look at Chamber of Commerce sites for more local info.
Chamber of Commerce, good idea.

I expect there will be some time that I will want to do something she doesn't, like taking the DSLR and a long lens out for wildlife. So would have to find some tours that I could do. I'm not bringing all of my hiking gear with to do it, so would have to be mostly guided and somewhat tame.

I'd say the Disney tourist trap stuff would definitely be out. Historic places and museums (if it's rainy) would be in.

ZXMustang

Suh dude
Feb 19, 2019
You need to go as far south as you can. The water around st pete/clearwater is far too cold now to swim and the weather is up and down every day here. 60 one day then 80 the next. For the week of Christmas we are going down to Ft Myers for that whole week. The water should be high 70's, good for swimming and the temps will be on average 10* higher there than Tampa area around Christmas.

Before we moved here in 2019, we vacationed here every christmas break for years and learned the hard way that if you want to swim you need to go as far south as you can, and stay on the gulf side. Even in the dead of summer the Atlantic side is just barely warm enough to swim in. At least to us thin blooder's.

frank

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Was showing a beach condo on Tuesday in treasure island and people were in the water and at the beach seen a few schools of stingrays swimming along the shore line, people in the water and the rays were going around them.

5C99F803-7720-4ECC-BA29-8BCA7CDE631E.jpeg

180C17F9-8C16-4931-B72D-381E7BC25DA6.jpeg

243EB366-4276-41D8-9921-D22FE67B2960.jpeg

F518FC5D-5925-4472-81E5-3E1F441F25C0.jpeg

8FA2E030-E5E4-450E-A68E-B48540AA8BF1.jpeg

If you plan on bringing your DSLR camera and lens make sure to go visit the glades, many trails to visit and areas to take pictures, can’t go too deep in the glades but the rest / visitor areas are more then enough and have some hiking trails.

if you go into the Sarasota area go to the myakka state park , visit the deep hole which is a 30 person per day hike to visit a alligator habit where the gators are non fenced. Super cool to go do.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Was showing a beach condo on Tuesday in treasure island and people were in the water and at the beach seen a few schools of stingrays swimming along the shore line, people in the water and the rays were going around them.

View attachment 105578

View attachment 105579

View attachment 105580

View attachment 105581

View attachment 105582
If you plan on bringing your DSLR camera and lens make sure to go visit the glades, many trails to visit and areas to take pictures, can’t go too deep in the glades but the rest / visitor areas are more then enough and have some hiking trails.

if you go into the Sarasota area go to the myakka state park , visit the deep hole which is a 30 person per day hike to visit a alligator habit where the gators are non fenced. Super cool to go do.
For doing the Glades tour, is there any one tour guide/place better than others? Or ones to stay away from?

Dumb question, but since it is the Everglades, if I were to do a bit of hiking, what kind of clothing/gear would be best?

These are all things I'm trying to learn before I go so I'm not unprepared.

frank

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
For doing the Glades tour, is there any one tour guide/place better than others? Or ones to stay away from?

Dumb question, but since it is the Everglades, if I were to do a bit of hiking, what kind of clothing/gear would be best?

These are all things I'm trying to learn before I go so I'm not unprepared.
For fun do a airboat ride, just outside of Naples in the glades, we did the wooten air boat rides, book a early tour in the morning, the ride back to Naples you can stop off at several sightseeing/ hiking areas.

clothing - layers are best for tops, nothing to heavy just those wicking style long sleeves and maybe a t-shirt under is what I do, wofe will have a long sleeve and if it get warm she has a tank top on. Shorts are just fine and some regular shoes/ flip flops. Once the sun comes out may only be 75* but feels like 90’s,

Pack bug spray - lots of it

google map wooten air boat ride, and several hiking areas come up, click on those and have some good reading.

if you are into boating check out 10,000 islands in Marco island, basically mangrove islands at the most southern part of the main land /glades. Can rent a boat or do kayak tours.

pleanty to do and see.

pics of air boat ride . Gators a arms lengths away .

DAFC8017-DF33-4D9E-A24C-CF4D1CED785D.jpeg

A952805C-34B8-42A9-89C3-0D441E2BA78A.jpeg

FCAEE0C7-59B8-4F4D-8189-3D8C2BDB0FEF.jpeg

frank

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Also if passing through Sarasota area, Ringling brothers museum is a good visit, old attractions, the ringling house which is cool to visit, and then more art museum exhibits to view. And then a few miles up the road is a cool place called jungle gardens zoo place where flamingos and other birds roam free, can feed them etc..

38B76281-B8D0-46E0-A26A-F23F4E58FBFF.jpeg

1F70CE05-33F0-40B7-8FDA-62719FFD7964.jpeg

4805226F-037A-4B41-8DC6-E266D2323827.jpeg

B3681D90-FAFC-46AA-B97A-DD74AD044154.jpeg

D8DDE545-D8A6-4E13-95D1-50FA471D9F9D.jpeg

0189F300-D53E-422B-8FCB-E0F7FA10037F.jpeg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info