First time at Autobahn on Monday - any tips?

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Listen to the instructor.
Learn the track first.
Don’t worry about going fast.
Look farther down the track to the next corner, not right in front of your car.

You’ll want to accelerate earlier in the corner than you should, so don’t do that. Be smooth everywhere. Smooth hands, smooth feet. But don’t confuse smooth with slow.

Drive like there’s an egg under the accelerator pedal.

RedBeard

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 19, 2009
Windsor, CO
Yeah just make sure you have an instructor with you.

My instructor had me keep my car in 3rd gear for the entire 1st session so I could just focus on the lines and braking zones. I was in a SVT Focus so that was doable as I was just at the rev limiter on the longest straight.

I would maybe bring a lockable tote with and/or pull everything out of your car the night before. Anything that’s not bolted down, floor mats, luggage organizers, etc should be removed so they don’t become a projectile if shit goes wrong.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Yeah, I and love it. But if it’s your first time, ease into it.

Unlike yours truly who hit the far right while hard on the throttle and launched myself into orbit, passing two people while I was in mid-air.

Then had to grab a fistful of brakes to make the turn, LOL.

Reactions: 10sec

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
don't focus on being fast, just focus on being smooth.

be cognizant of your brakes, especially based on prep and feel.

don't just barrel with speed down the straight into the corner and fuck it up as a result, focus on being prepared and taking the corner properly, it will be trivial to add speed going straight later up until corner entry.

put on some sunscreen.

drive your own line - especially as a newbie you will fixate on a car in front of you. you may be catching them but that may just mean you are less sloppy than them but still not doing something clean; once you do catch up to them, you may find yourself staring at their ass and starting to poorly drive your own line, they will feel pressure (especially if you sit on them and they are not pointing you by) making them more likely to screw up.. and you may very well target fixate and follow them right into the same mistake (off the course or into their ass) - don't do that.

also if someone catches you, it's a closed course, they are faster. if you have 500 hp and some 110hp miata caught you, point them by and ease off the throttle so that they can actually pass you on a straight.

check tire wear marks and pressure, although really for your first day that doesn't really matter, just try to learn where you should be on the course and work on smoothly taking the turns. you probably won't be braking close to properly until you get a ride along and see how an instructor is doing it first either, definitely take advantage of going for a ride along in some instructor cars to learn that and the race line.

also report back on your experience!

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
Definitely bleed the brakes, but also I'd put on some mild racing pads for the front brakes.
Totally worth it since then you don't have to worry about fade, and that's not something you want to deal with on your first time out.
Even something like the Hawk HP+ pads would be OK, since you could install them at home and then drive to the track.
If you're racing more than one day, bring a spare set of pads and necessary tools to install them, just in case.

WhiteKnuckle

Mopowah Baby!!
TCG Premium
Nov 14, 2019
Bedford Park
Real Name
Pete Schuch
One session left. I’m having a blast at the track. Thanks for all the tips guys. First couple sessions out I followed an instructor. Third time out he let me lead. Learning something new every session. I feel hooked and want to do more of this. Lots of cool cars and people out here too.
c98cd09c6b99cffe971f385629e0e25a.jpg

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
One session left. I’m having a blast at the track. Thanks for all the tips guys. First couple sessions out I followed an instructor. Third time out he let me lead. Learning something new every session. I feel hooked and want to do more of this. Lots of cool cars and people out here too.
c98cd09c6b99cffe971f385629e0e25a.jpg
Nice work on the headlights

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
I’m going to be at the autobahn country club Monday for my first track day ever. I’m excited about it but a little nervous.
Anything I should prepare for from you guys that have been before.
The event is put on by Lapps inc.
Sounded like Lapps.

I had fun last time I was out in the RS.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info