First Gun

GOON

Reaction score
So I am looking at getting my first handgun. I just have a few concerns before I make a purchase.

1. I currently live in an apartment that is directly across the street from a school. I know it is legal to transport in a school zone if the gun is properly stored (locked container and/or dissembled, not loaded) I know it is also legal to have guns on your property if you live in a school zone. But how does that work out since it is technically not my property (renting)?

2. I also live in cook county but in a home ruled city (no mag limit). I know cook county has a 10 rnd mag limit and everything I want has 15 rnd mags (I do not really want to get a 10 rnd version). So is it legal to transport the gun with 15 rnd mags through the rest of the county?

Options:
Glock 19 Gen 4
Sig P320 Compact
Sig P226 Legion

I cant really find clear answers to my concerns so I thought I would ask you guys.

1quick

Donating Member
Reaction score
The law states on school property not in a school zone, you can have a gun in your car on school property unloaded, but you are not supposed to have it on your person unless it's just to put it in your trunk if you carried on to school property

MuffHugger

Formerly GTP Mike
Reaction score
The magazine capacity limit is only for long guns (rifles, assault rifles, etc) so you are fine with 15 round magazines.

As far as your choice, it's all up to you. What are you using the pistol for? Home defense I would get a big, scary .45. Conceal carry, I would go with a comfortable subcompact. Or if it is this going to be a range only gun, I would get something comfortable and fun.

Midwest sporting goods in Lyons has rental guns for you to try out so you can get a feeler for what suits you. Article 2 in Lombard has the same deal.

I personally have a Smith and Wesson M&P45 full size with 10 round magazines, night sights, and a tac light. I have this one for home defense/fuck around at the range. When I get my permit to conceal, I am going to carry my Glock 23 with 13 round magazines, upgraded trigger and extended slide lever release.

All in all it's up to what your intent is and what is comfortable to you. I just got my glock and already put 500+ rounds through it and love it. Easy maintenance, easy to disassemble, comfortable and easy to upgrade. My bias would lean towards glock but don't have experience with Sigs so I can't say much there.

frosty23_45

Broke Dodge owner
Reaction score
I rented a Sig 226 once, loved shooting that gun. That's all the experience I have with that one. Shot a friend's Glock, didn't care for it myself. Rent them or hopefully try someone else's or before you buy if possible. Everyone has their own tastes.

Outlaw

Reaction score
Get a 9mm, Get a 9mm, Get a 9mm.

For your first gun get something you can afford to go out and shoot the hell out of. .45's are cool and all, but, save that for a 1911 or something else you want down the road. I'd suggest the G19 out of your list, I've shot [MENTION=2616]Chester Copperpot[/MENTION]s and like it.

Lead Pipe

I'm Tiny Riiiiiiiiick
Reaction score
Get a 9mm, Get a 9mm, Get a 9mm.

For your first gun get something you can afford to go out and shoot the hell out of. .45's are cool and all, but, save that for a 1911 or something else you want down the road. I'd suggest the G19 out of your list, I've shot [MENTION=2616]Chester Copperpot[/MENTION]s and like it.
:nutz::nutz::nutz::nutz:

I would also suggest the G19 from that list. I'm not a sig fan. Granted I have never shot any of their polymer guns. Also take a look at the M&P's, XD line and the new Ruger American.

Tim

I like girls that drink beer
Reaction score
The magazine capacity limit is only for long guns (rifles, assault rifles, etc) so you are fine with 15 round magazines.
That is not what I have been told. Hopefully I was misinformed.

Chester Copperpot

TCGs Far Right Leader
Donating Member
Reaction score
Buncha GLOCK suckers up in here.

I too recommend the G19. My first pistol and I couldn't be happier. You'll definitely want to throw some different sights on it though. The stock GLOCK sights are garbage.

:s00ls:

rdsnake

formerly RD SNAKE
Reaction score
Cannot go wrong with a Glock! Just picked up my second, G19 Vickers edition last week. Sweet piece!

OP
GOON

GOON

Reaction score
I will for sure be going 9mm. I have shot a vp9, ppq, shield, lcp, kimber 1911, and a few revolvers. I just want to make sure it is 100% legal for me to own based on my concerns in the OP.

wombat

Donating Member
Reaction score
I will for sure be going 9mm. I have shot a vp9, ppq, shield, lcp, kimber 1911, and a few revolvers. I just want to make sure it is 100% legal for me to own based on my concerns in the OP.
Honestly your best bet is to look up your ordinances. Go to your local police station and ask, or call them and ask.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ok, I bet no one will see this one coming.

If you're going to go for training and willing to master the trigger, buy the Legion. It's an amazing gun and worth every penny you'll pay over my second choice...

If you want a heavier (safer to CC) trigger, go for the a Glock 19g4. Glock all day long for its simplicity, reliability, durability and affordability. I love my Glocks! I modify all my "competition/training" guns (see agencyarms.com) but leave my carry stock less the sights.

Finally, if you want definitive answers on the legal questions, call your local PD and inquire with them. It's the only way to be certain you're getting the correct answers.

BeerOrGasoline

Me & Dead Owls Don't Give a Hoot.
Reaction score
I've yet to meet a better deal than a G17/19 with Glock OEM 3.5# trigger bar and some new sights.

VenomousDSG

Smells own farts
Reaction score
If you got the means, that Legion you listed hands down would be my first choice... Not too many people spend $1300 on their first handgun though. Sigs are fantastic weapons.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
Super Moderator
Reaction score

As far as your choice, it's all up to you. What are you using the pistol for? Home defense I would get a big, scary .45. Conceal carry, I would go with a comfortable subcompact. Or if it is this going to be a range only gun, I would get something comfortable and fun.

Midwest sporting goods in Lyons has rental guns for you to try out so you can get a feeler for what suits you. Article 2 in Lombard has the same deal.

I personally have a Smith and Wesson M&P45 full size with 10 round magazines, night sights, and a tac light. I have this one for home defense/fuck around at the range. When I get my permit to conceal, I am going to carry my Glock 23 with 13 round magazines, upgraded trigger and extended slide lever release.

All in all it's up to what your intent is and what is comfortable to you. I just got my glock and already put 500+ rounds through it and love it. Easy maintenance, easy to disassemble, comfortable and easy to upgrade. My bias would lean towards glock but don't have experience with Sigs so I can't say much there.
Can we discuss this opinion of how a .45 is best .45 is the fastest for home defense? I couldn't disagree more.

I got into handguns strictly for the purpose of defense training. When I first started shooting, I bought a XD .45 which I thought I really loved and could fire effectively. Countless trips to the booth and I was sure I'd made the correct choice with my .45.

Then I went to my first training class with it and was taught a lesson immediately. :wtc:

First, every person there was shooting a 9. Second, they could rattle off repetitive shots much more accurately than I could ever DREAM of doing with my .45. Third, their ammo classes per class were WAY less than mine! :rofl:

I tried for a couple classes to use the .45, but was quickly talked into switching to 9. Bought my first 19 after testing countless rental guns, and now I've never looked back. The XD has just sat in the safe ever since.

Lead Pipe

I'm Tiny Riiiiiiiiick
Reaction score
Next time I go to the range I'm borrowing [MENTION=3559]School Boy[/MENTION]'s G19 and I'm going to compare it to my M&P 9. What if I shoot better with the 19? You know me, the nutswing is strong. What if I became a G-bag???

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Next time I go to the range I'm borrowing [MENTION=3559]School Boy[/MENTION]'s G19 and I'm going to compare it to my M&P 9. What if I shoot better with the 19? You know me, the nutswing is strong. What if I became a G-bag???
I'd give you a big welcome home hug next time I saw you!

OP
GOON

GOON

Reaction score
If you got the means, that Legion you listed hands down would be my first choice... Not too many people spend $1300 on their first handgun though. Sigs are fantastic weapons.

I've held a buddy's tacops p226 and really liked it. I figured if I was to get the legion it would be a keep forever gun. I really like the g19 but it is definitely more utilitarian and less cool looking but that's not a bad thing either.

VenomousDSG

Smells own farts
Reaction score
I've held a buddy's tacops p226 and really liked it. I figured if I was to get the legion it would be a keep forever gun. I really like the g19 but it is definitely more utilitarian and less cool looking but that's not a bad thing either.
Those things are nearly impossible to get now. I know a FFL with a brand new Legion by me if you're interested. I checked it out the other day, nice gun. BAT Arms in Plano. He has it available for about $1250, i think i can get you another 5% off too.

I want the 1911 TacOps

OP
GOON

GOON

Reaction score
Those things are nearly impossible to get now. I know a FFL with a brand new Legion by me if you're interested. I checked it out the other day, nice gun. BAT Arms in Plano. He has it available for about $1250, i think i can get you another 5% off too.

I want the 1911 TacOps

I am gonna talk to the local PD before I make a purchase. If I end up deciding to get a legion I will let you know.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom