Firearm Storage

muskie

Reaction score
What are you guys using for storage of all your firearms and ammo?

I'm still in an apartment and plan on being in one for the next couple of years but I feel like I need to do more to secure my valuables.

Knowing that pretty much any "safe" you buy from a big box store is not a real safe what are you looking for in a cabinet/locker/strong box.

I'm considering everything from a $1700 Zanotti modular safe to a $350 Costco special. I can't bring myself to purchase a Stack-On Cabinet as I feel like that is a waste / useless. Any advice, guidance, discussion is appreciated.

willizm

Ho fuckin Ho!
Reaction score
I think safe preferences are dependant on what your individual needs are. My primary focus is keeping my kids out of my safe. Fire durability and theft durability are secondary. I could have gotten away with a locker but I also wanted to install some led lights and have a little more capacity.

With those factors I chose a Big Horn (Rhino) safe from Costco. It seems to fit the bill for what i need and best bang for the buck.

You can find these on sale for $600 from time to time(thats what I paid). That is shipped to your door as well.
https://www.costco.com/BIGHORN-Safe-19.1-CuFt---30-min-Fire-Protection---59"H-x-28"W-x-20"D---Electronic-Lock.product.11642080.html

OP
M

muskie

Reaction score
I think safe preferences are dependant on what your individual needs are. My primary focus is keeping my kids out of my safe. Fire durability and theft durability are secondary. I could have gotten away with a locker but I also wanted to install some led lights and have a little more capacity.

With those factors I chose a Big Horn (Rhyno) safe from Costco. It seems to fit the bill for what i need.
I'm basically just looking to keep the maintenance guy from getting tempted by "loose" items and same as you a nice organized place for all my stuff.

willizm

Ho fuckin Ho!
Reaction score
I'm basically just looking to keep the maintenance guy from getting tempted by "loose" items and same as you a nice organized place for all my stuff.
I considered expensive safes but really my preferences didn't warrant the premium cost of a safe. What you could try to do is pick up a used safe on craigslist for now and later on if you figure out what you really want, sell the safe and get the one you want. It will probably be a wash since safes don't really lose value.

ldyzluvdis06

Supercharged C5
Reaction score
i use a Liberty Fatboy Jr. sure there are better safes out there, but this ones serves it's purpose of keeping kids out, storing everything together, and def. won't be easy to break into considering it's 900lbs unloaded and is bolted down via 4 LARGE bolts. But i don't have $100k worth of guns inside either like some of the members probably do.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
Super Moderator
Reaction score
:io:

Same as everyone else. I wasn't looking to break any records on how long my safe would protect against experienced safe crackers, cutters or torches.

I have a bigger safe for most of my firearms and important docs that offers both fire and water protection, then a cabinet in another location for a few that I consider close and easy access for intruder issues.

I do not store ammo in my safe as in the event of a fire, exploding ammo inside a air tight safe becomes a big concern for firemen attempting to save your home.

If you're looking at used safes, to yourself a favor and find something with a plate steel front door.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom