Finally, the transmission gives up.

b4black

before black
Jun 6, 2008
Oswego
I'm not going to whine about how weak these transmissions are. Mine's taken a shit ton of abuse before now. 120k miles, easily 100+ passes at the track and a dumbass driver that likes doing WOT downshifts any chance he gets. :hsughlol: I've been waiting for this to happen.

But it just let go on the way to work. Was going about 30 when I hammered the throttle, it tried to downshift, but then nothing. Limped it to work. In D and 3, it won't move. In 2 and 1, it moves, but is slipping. R seems normal. Any ideas on what let go?

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
Just FYI, if you unplug the transmission electrical under the intake/tb area, the trans will go into 3rd gear so you can limp it home. Dave told me that when my reluctor wheel came off and made the trans do weird shit.

For your car, sounds like the very common broken sprag, which unfortunately requires a full teardown of the transmission to fix. Buy Handsome Jesus' trans, I think it's down to $800 and it's built.

b4black

before black
Jun 6, 2008
Oswego
Thanks, that's what I needed to know. I just bought a trailer last fall, so I'm good getting it home.

Already took a look at his post. Seems like a good deal. If I replace it, I might get that. I'll need to decide what to do. I was already looking to sell the car in the spring. Not sure if it's worth more as is, parted out or fixed/running.

pull the pan off, if you find this in it, its the band. mine did the exact same thing. Same scenario too. I did a 30 mph wot down shit, just revved like in neutral. I manually put it in 2nd and it would slip with moderate throttle but i was able to limp it home.

Attachments

• farward band.jpg
    farward band.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 108

CHI2000GTP

Grand Prix Junkie
TCG Premium
Dec 1, 2017
Chicago, IL
I was already looking to sell the car in the spring. Not sure if it's worth more as is, parted out or fixed/running.

Broken forward band indeed. Damn glass trans... Sucks dude. Sorry for you loss.

I say with a running trans, with your mods, you could fetch maybe $2,500-3,500. Not running, maybe $800-1000. Not sure how many miles.

If you do decide to part out/sell.... I'm very interested in the GXP rims.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info