TV Final Fantasty live-action TV show in the works

Mook

El Presidente
Admin
Reaction score
Cautiously optimistic?

https://lrmonline.com/news/final-fantasy-live-action-series-in-the-works/?no_cache=1

According to a new press release, Hivemind, producer of The Expanse at Amazon and The Witcher for Netflix is co-producing a live-action series based on the Japanese property. They will be partnering up with Sony Pictures Television and, of course, Square Enix to bring it to the small screen.

Jason F. Brown, Sean Daniel, And Dinesh Shamadasani will be producing, and on board to write and executive produce are unknowns Ben Lustig and Jake Thornton (though Thornton does have a good amount of acting experience).

The show will also reportedly features series trademarks like airships, magic, and the bird creatures known as Chocobos. There’s even going to be a version of Cid, which is a name that pops up in every Final Fantasy game (here’s hoping we also get a Biggs and Wedge).

Interestingly enough, we actually have some details regarding its setting. The outlet states that it will be set in an established world for the game…but that the setting will be Eorzea, where the MMORPG Final Fantasy XIV is set. So no, don’t expect to see anything from the more narrative-centric takes on the franchise.

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
Donating Member
Reaction score
Not sure how I feel about the setting.

The only way a FF story could work is in the form of a TV show, so I dig that. I just think it'll be low budget, poorly received, and axed.

Mook

El Presidente
Admin
Reaction score
What makes you think low budget? Most of these shows have huge budgets now..plus its the producers behind Expanse which is phenomenal.

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
Donating Member
Reaction score
Most TV shows outside of HBO are low budget, with the exception of like 1 Amazon show.

Mook

El Presidente
Admin
Reaction score
Unless I missed it, no network or platform was announced...but my guess is it will end up on one of the streaming services.

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
Donating Member
Reaction score
Yeah its definitely bound for Netflix or Amazon. I, of course, will watch it, but I'm not holding my breath about it being good.

Mook

El Presidente
Admin
Reaction score
I think we'll get our first taste of whether it will be good or not when Netflix drops the first Witcher trailer...same guys behind that are doing this.

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
Donating Member
Reaction score
That at least has a big name actor attached to it. I haven't ever played any of those games, so I'm not sure how to validate if that is any good.

Mook

El Presidente
Admin
Reaction score
Grab Witcher 3 and prepare to lose 100 hours.

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
Donating Member
Reaction score
I've heard that a few times before, but everytime I'm in Gamestop planning on getting it I walk out with something else.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom