• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Feeler....does anyone know of problems with the '04 GTO?

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
Dem seats too.

So to actually give you constructive feedback:

Rear seat stitchings rip. Not a matter of if but when.
Radius rod bushings are garbage, replace immediately.
Struts are garbage, get some Koni SR.T or whatever they're called with some BMR springs, thank me later.
Strut mounts, replace them immediately, too.
IRS in the autos don't really have problems. The manuals are notorious for eating axle shafts and axle stubs when launching.
Door handles will peel. Another case of when, not if.
You'll want to bleed the clutch fluid often because there's a known issue with the hydraulics. Upgrade to Corvette stuff.
Trunk space the size of your wallet. You can't store dick back there.
Make sure once you do the radius rods, get the alignment kit and a GOOD alignment as a lot of people destroy tires because the front hubs sag causing too much camber and rub the struts until you perform the fix.
LS1 vs LS2. Get an 05 or 06 as the 06 tail lights look better and has the illuminated steering wheel controls and door lock button. :rofl:

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
Ive had my 04 for over 6 years and it's only really left me stranded on the side of the road once, when my stock 70k+ mile clutch decided it didnt like me adding a cam/longtubes and a tune. That was fixed w/ an LS7 clutch and its been fine ever since. It has gone in a couple times for the damn ignition lock crap as well, but other than that, its only had regular wear and tear issues. Granted I dont beat the shit out of it, like it seems like you plan on doing. But if you're nice to it, its nice back.

Suspension upgrades do go a long way w/ this car. I did that first before any power upgrades. Brakes could be a little better also, as mentioned, but I've never touched mine. I do always try to keep a lookout for anyone getting rid of 05+ calipers tho as that will probably be one of my next upgrades.

Overall I love the car and am not ready to give it up. I never went crazy with it since it was my daily driver and I needed to rely on it every day, but now that I have a new daily I might finally be able to take it a little further and make it a little less "reliable" :noes:

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Suspension is key. My 04 had a full Pedders upgrade plus the steering stuff and the 05 brakes and 18 inch wheels with wider tires. Stock otherwise with an auto trans.

Also, the body is pretty bad with the corners of the front bumper that peel out, and common door handle paint chips.

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
I do 75-80 most of the way to work down backroads and I get 19-20 or so out of my truck right now.

You'd be getting 26-30 no problem. Dat .50 ratio 6th gear in the manuals.
1279082592656.jpg

Fuck, I'm about to snatch that one up. I can't believe how cheap they've gotten.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info