Feeler - Custom Gaming PC Builder

Grabber

Oh Hai
Dec 11, 2007
Wheeling, IL
Happy Friday TCG!

Most likely going ot be changing up my computer and after 8 years of having the same case, it is time to upgrade.

However, I do not trust myself to do this and am looking for help.

Anyone here a Gaming PC Builder that is willing to do this on the side for some cash, food and beer?

Otherwise, do you guys know of really trustworthy shops that do top notch work with halfway decent turnaround?

I used to use Tirgerdirect and they always had great techs. Used Microcenter a couple of times, and come to find there were a lot of things they did NOT do when they built my computer the last time.

Thanks TCG
-Chris

Grabber

Oh Hai
Dec 11, 2007
Wheeling, IL
I've done it. Guys at work have done it. Do your own. It's really easy
pcpartpicker is a great site to use

I know what I would end up buying, but, I do not trust myself with these parts.

:)

I've built a dozen or so. I can help if you'd like. Where are you located?

Nice man!

I'm in Wheeling.

I'll let you know what I decide. Just wanted to put this out there and see if anyone was able to help and get this done in the near future.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Building a PC is one of those things that seems intimidating at first. But almost everything on a system is only designed to fit together one way.

The hardest part is picking parts and knowing what's compatible with what. But PCPartPicker usually does a good job of making sure the parts are compatible for you.

What are you budgeting for this, and what kind of games are you specifically wanting to play?

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
The big thing an experienced builder does vs a inexperienced is the stress test after a build.

You have to stress each component to find any weak links while still in warranty. Then you know the hardware should be solid and last through whatever you toss at it.

I have found bad ram, bad boards and bad CPUs this way and saved a lot of headache down the road.

Grabber

Oh Hai
Dec 11, 2007
Wheeling, IL
Building a PC is one of those things that seems intimidating at first. But almost everything on a system is only designed to fit together one way.

The hardest part is picking parts and knowing what's compatible with what. But PCPartPicker usually does a good job of making sure the parts are compatible for you.

What are you budgeting for this, and what kind of games are you specifically wanting to play?

Definitely intimidating for sure, haha.

I picked out the parts now and below is the list of what I've got:

i7-9700K
Asus Maximus Hero IX Wi-Fi
Samsung 970 Evo Plus - 500GB
Corsair Dominator DDR4-3466 - 32GB
EVGA 1000W T2 PSU
EVGA 2080Ti Black Edition - 11GB
Corsair H115i 280MM Cooler
Dark Base Pro 900 Rev 2 case

Mainly play WoW and Assassins Creed Odyssey and the COD games when available. GTA 5 as well.

I would have done it for you, but I moved out of state. I love doing it though and you should try it yourself. Just dont follow the verge build guide....LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vmQOO4WLI4

Thanks for that man! Appreciate it.

The big thing an experienced builder does vs a inexperienced is the stress test after a build.

You have to stress each component to find any weak links while still in warranty. Then you know the hardware should be solid and last through whatever you toss at it.

I have found bad ram, bad boards and bad CPUs this way and saved a lot of headache down the road.

Once the build is complete, is there a good software program that can do the stress test so you can find these weak links?

I think I had 3DMark, but, it would only test 1-2 things and wanted me to pay for the rest to get a detailed report.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
You won't need 32GB of ram for gaming. Most games won't even fill a 16GB system yet.

For the GFX card, hold off, watch the benchmarks for the 2080 Super compared to the 2080Ti. You might be able to save yourself some money. In one case, if the Super outperforms the 2080ti, you'll see price drops on the 2080ti to get it off the shelves, and the 2080 Super is going to MSRP around the $700 mark. After the 2080 Super comes out, both cards will save you money over buying a 2080ti today.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish

I havent done this but wouldnt mind trying. I really need to do some more looking and such, but dont build enough. Even though I want to. LOL

I agree with the 32gb is overkill

Thirded.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Once the build is complete, is there a good software program that can do the stress test so you can find these weak links?

I think I had 3DMark, but, it would only test 1-2 things and wanted me to pay for the rest to get a detailed report.

CPU - Prime95 and CPU-Z
RAM - Memtest86
HD - Crystaldiskinfo and hard drive manufacture software
GPU - GPU-Z, Furmark and Unigine Heaven
MB- POST beeps (not software, audible beeps on boot-up) and watch for weird shit honestly if everything else passes. update firmware on the mobo.
Power supply - HW monitor to show voltages or a good old fashion multi-meter.

Use HW monitor to monitor voltages, temps and speeds during everything. I like to run my CPU for at least a good 24 hours. RAM i run a couple rounds of testing. GPU - 8 hours at least. If it survives, give it clean power and it should last 5+ years easily.

If something is defective or prone to early failure, it should show itself in those tests.

If you overclock CPU or change memory speeds, run the test on it again to be sure it is stable.

Grabber

Oh Hai
Dec 11, 2007
Wheeling, IL
Thanks for the help dudes

I do realize 32GB is overkill, but, I figured for an extra $85 bucks, I'd rather double up.

IIRC - Assassins Creed Odyssey used up close to 80% of RAM at one point, so, while that is not the full 16GB as before, why the heck not, lol.

The 2080Ti I've had for about three months now and so far, ran into some cooling issues with it. Hence why I am going with a new build. Case is over 8 years old and all other parts, minus the GPU are over 2-1/2 years old with heavy usage.

I'll download that software and report back.

Thanks again
-Chris

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
Thanks for the help dudes

I do realize 32GB is overkill, but, I figured for an extra $85 bucks, I'd rather double up.

IIRC - Assassins Creed Odyssey used up close to 80% of RAM at one point, so, while that is not the full 16GB as before, why the heck not, lol.

The 2080Ti I've had for about three months now and so far, ran into some cooling issues with it. Hence why I am going with a new build. Case is over 8 years old and all other parts, minus the GPU are over 2-1/2 years old with heavy usage.

I'll download that software and report back.

Thanks again
-Chris

Nah, 32GB is not overkill and is a good amount for a serious gaming PC.
I have 64GB in mine, which actually is slightly overkill. I've only approached using about half that a few times and it's usually doing multiple tasks, like a compression job, video encoding and playing Ghost Recon Wildlands all at the same time.

Grabber

Oh Hai
Dec 11, 2007
Wheeling, IL
Build done.

Still playing with colors and waiting on the GPU cooler.

2b83288fa54bee86b95e406884637206.jpg

3d6dc855e5be5a0016e978849d334799.jpg

[MENTION=73]tinfoilhat[/MENTION] thank you so much for the offer to help. Work has been really busy lately and I had no idea when I’d be able to set aside time to have you help and get this done. Microcenter had an opening and while it was a bit expensive, they took on the whole burden of getting this done in a day. It sat there longer waiting for me to pick it up than the tech spent working on it, lol.

Everyone else, Thanks for the feedback and help. Appreciate all the ideas and suggestions on this and it is definitely helping my confidence in starting to do more with computers.

So far so go. Case is awesome, super sleek and quite a bit bigger than my previous case.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
So, came out to $250 for the liquid cooling setup. It used to be $150, but, they've recently changed their prices.

All in all, to me, looks like they did a great job with cable management.

That looks like an AIO cooler. Which can be bought and installed for $150 on the top end. Did they charge $250 to put everything together?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info