Fastro MK-II (My 1992 Astro V8 swap)

OP
Mr_Roboto

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
Donating Member
Reaction score
Are you using the Freon tanks like Helmholtz resonators to reduce drone? You can also just weld extra lengths of capped pipe off the side of the exhaust, which also act as expansion tanks, cut down on resonance, and don’t hang millimeters from the ground...
I haven't figured out what I'm going to do about those yet. The weather's been shit and I've been far more motivated to tune and drive than to do anything with them. I'll get back to it, probably about the time that I get a warning for my exhaust noise. :rofl:

OP
Mr_Roboto

Mr_Roboto

Donating Member
Reaction score
Im not sure I’d make 8k rpm a habit :rofl:
Yeah, cast everything 383 isn't exactly a great foundation for such things. I don't even know that it did that though, it may be ignition noise. Just what I'm seeing in the data logs. I'll put a rev limiter on it next time I start tweaking on the tune.

Kensington

Donating Member
Reaction score
I’d imagine valve float before pistons and rods start flying apart, but IDK...just imagining the piston speeds at 8k rpm on a stroker motor :eek3:

cap42

Restoration Hell
Reaction score
Did I give you the ignition module with the motor? It had a msd box or some close brand. I haven't seen it around the garage so I assume I gave it to you with the motor.

OP
Mr_Roboto

Mr_Roboto

Donating Member
Reaction score
Did I give you the ignition module with the motor? It had a msd box or some close brand. I haven't seen it around the garage so I assume I gave it to you with the motor.
Yeah, I just remembered that today. :rofl: I think I'm going to install it and see what happens.

Phalabala

Reaction score
this is awesome.

My family's 87 Astro was my first ride. Got it up on 3 wheels once.

High school boys probably shouldn't have access to a minivan. Everyone that made fun of it didn't realize how much room there was for "activities" in it...

OP
Mr_Roboto

Mr_Roboto

Donating Member
Reaction score
Just threw the ignition box on. I stuck it in the floorboards as o have no clue where it's going permanently. Maybe under the passenger side seat.

What's interesting is everything seems lean now. Really lean. Not sure if that's normal but will have to try and tune it out.

I also put a 1.5 inch spacer under the transmission mount. Big difference on the exhaust drag!

Butnut

Reaction score
I built an "Asshole Van" back in the early 90's. When I still had to pass emissions sniffer and dyno.
Lingenfelter built me a carb'd 383 that passed emissions in IL AND made north of 400hp N/A on their dyno using GM iron 441 casting heads.
125 wet kit for insurance (Had the dist marked and could actually slide doghouse back and adjust timing easily)...
Kept the stock in tank electric fuel pump w/ return lines...
Headers, single 3" to the back bumper with an actual Dynomax school bus muffler lol...
700r4, convertor, shift kit, Moser axles w/ studs and a 3.73 posi in the stock rear.
I even tried a windshield washer tank and VHT spraying on the 205's from inside the van.... Worked like shit.
Totally quiet and motor had very little lope.
Actual Stock glass leafs....... No window shorty.
Got a spare tire mount from the junkyard and added it in like the other one.... Had slicks and little floor jack with me.
Would set up a race on the 205's and asked for 5 mins to prep the van if it was a money race. Nascar tire change ensued...
Went very high 12's-13.0 on horsepower and left hard. Aerodynamic as a toaster though and needed the kit up high...So much fun on the street with the 205's.... This was 1992 when horsepower 13.0 was notso slow.... My plates read: HAHAWE1. Most fun vehicle I've ever built and would run 13.5 with my ZX11 INSIDE!

OP
Mr_Roboto

Mr_Roboto

Donating Member
Reaction score
That is a throw back from the day. If I did low 13s I would be fucking dazzled. I bet that thing pissed off a lot of IROCs and Fox bodies. :rofl:

If you have pics throw em up man.

OP
Mr_Roboto

Mr_Roboto

Donating Member
Reaction score
Went to replace the governor in the 700R4 with a modified one and the current one is.....stuck? I tried to get it out to no avail. Usually they just kind of twist out in the direction of the helical gears. I was going to see what springs/weights were in it and see about throwing some lighter springs in before I went to weights. Extremely odd. Any trans guys out there want to tell me how fucked I am on this? Guessing pain in the dick factor's going to be pretty high to get it out? Looks like the gear is plastic and the shaft is steel, so the gear definitely seems like what would be sacrificed if push came to shove. I have a few spares so I can break the current gear to make stuff happen.

OP
Mr_Roboto

Mr_Roboto

Donating Member
Reaction score
I wondered why this thing was shifting at 4K and I think I found out. The weights have a "D" on them. I'm thinking this thing was from a 6.2L? Maybe a 454?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom