3800 Fans always on

Sinister Drag Designs

SinisterDragDesigns.com
Aug 3, 2007
Chicago, IL
so voytek has had a small problem with his kicking on at start up and never going off, they shutoff when the car turns off(even with DHP fan settings,tho it never reachs operating temps for the to stay on). he swaped motor and trans mounts and as soon as he was done this started. i figure a wiring short is the issue from being moved a little. we have checked and replaced all the relays and checked and replaced the ECT sensor,and they still kick on 3 secs after start up.\
we starting expsoing the wiring from the loom and everything seems to be fine and no connections feel or look loose. also nothing seems to be grounding or frayed

any suggestions for him

and no he does not have a fan switch installed, and no PCM changes have been made.

SaturdaysGS

TCG Elite Member
Jul 15, 2007
Chicago (Southside)
Originally posted by slow04ss@Oct 2 2006, 02:54 PM
Scan the pcm, sometimes all a temp sensor needs is a little jolt to mess it up.
Not sure about delphi pcm's, but with acdelco one's the fans kick on during "limp" mode.
[snapback]141348[/snapback]​

Which reminds me, the guy im refering to in my post had swapped pcms and that cured his problem.

Sinister Drag Designs

SinisterDragDesigns.com
Aug 3, 2007
Chicago, IL
he is using a intercepter and sensors seem work fine and are responding
i would of guessed SD mode or limp what ever you want to call it but the car pulls hard as ever and his knock dropped actully 2 deg(probly from being ice cold)
tho he did just call me and say its sucking down gas like no 2maro(richer o2s then normal)

the a/c and such are all off.

BLACKRAVEN

Sinister Drag Designs
Nov 7, 2007
Joliet
it is fine now. I dis conected the battery and waited a hour and pluged it back in. I started the car and the fans still kicked on. I look inside and the a/c is on????
It was off before I dis connected the battery. SO what I am guessing is that the a/c control unit and messed up. Car is runnig good but back to 8 kr befor I only had 3kr ya the fans were on but man she did pull hard. :D

Thanks to all that helped V.

mcshocks

Regular
Jun 12, 2008
MN
Had the exact same problem up until this past weekend, I believe my car was throwing the P0118 code. Ended up that the weather pac connector pins for the ECT sensor were worn out, I probably have taken that sensor on and off a good 15+ times or so, put on some new female pins and walla problem fixed. It was always inconsistent and a pcm reset or pulling and reseating the battery cables fixed it temporarily, but would come back after time, if the problems persist check into this. It would cause surging at startup also as the pcm relies on the ECT for startup fueling.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info